School me on Tents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Tents!

What do y'all know about tents? I have some discounts and cash rewards and REI and was thinking about upgrading my tent. Looking at getting a bigger tent that would comfortably sleep 3 people. Does the gun safe rule apply here where if it says it sleeps 6, it is more likely to sleep 3? Are the taller ones where you can stand up worth it? Do certain tents hold warmth better than others?

I'd pretty much just be using it in cold weather/hunting season. Thanks!

Yes and no about the size. You don’t need a 6 man tent for 3 people, but you definitely want a 4 person at least. Also do you plane to truck camp all the time, or do you ever plan to hike with it any? If hiking then keep weight and size to a bare minimum. I’ve got a 3 person tent that COULD sleep 3 if needed, but ideally I use it as a two person tent. If 3 people are in it, then almost all gear stays outside. I like to bring my gear in and not sleep with someone’s feet in my face when possible.

Comment

From my experience you are corrwect on the sizing. If it says 6, it will sleep half that without being crwoded. Cold is relative, if it is really cold and freezing you would want a 4 season tent. I assume this will not be a mountain/backfitting tent otherwise it would be all about weight.

Comment

I bought a light marmot 3 person just for myself. It’s easy to carry deep into the National forest. I would say to get at least a six man for 3 people. The lighter tents are more practical. The canvas if you have pack horses or if you can drive into your campsite.

Comment

I got a big rei tent that sleeps like 12 people with a divider in the middle you can stand up in. Kids and clothes on one side me and wife in the other. It’s Texas you don’t need a snowstorm tent. Ours is standard rated temps and been in Colorado 20 degree nights just bring lots of blankets. Its huge but its nice when it’s raining

Comment

Truck camping (Base Camp) or Backing packing?

Yes there are tents that hold warmth better. 4 season tents are going to hold heat better than a 3 season tent, but are going to cost more.

Depends on it you like changing clothes hunched over ...LOL
            If you're truck camping go big. No reason to be cramped.

Comment

I agree on all the comments saying get a 6-man for 3. Not sure where the companies come up with those numbers, unless they're double-stacking people in there. And again, canvas if you need warmth somewhat. You can always stretch a tarp over the top and that drapes over the sides a little, helps a lot in my experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I see myself truck camping for the foreseeable future. I don't think I'd need something I hike in, so weight really not a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  Thanks for all the advice. I see myself truck camping for the foreseeable future. I don't think I'd need something I hike in, so weight really not a concern.
                  To bad they don’t have springbar tents at REI.

Comment

Originally posted by Vargas 1695 View Post
                    To bad they don’t have springbar tents at REI.
                    I just went to their site...those are slick!

Comment

Kodiak....buy once.....

Comment

In my years of experience, I have found that about 50 square feet per grown person works well. This allows each person room for a cot or up to a full/twinn air mattress, clothing, pack, and bow/gun in case. And not to over crowded. Quarters will be close though.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          REI is pricey for your type of camping. I would hit up Academy, been using a 6 man tent from Coleman for over 10 years and it has worked fine for Texas hunting.

Comment

School me on Tents!

If you assume a minimum of 25 inches wide per person on a wide sleeping pad that will get you minimum floor space for a hiking tent. Beyond that doubling your occupancy for truck camping is my recommendation.

I run a 6 person tent when truck camping for me, wife, kiddo and dog. Enough room for us and some gear but not all. That is with us using cots and not sleeping pads on the ground.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Kodiak....buy once.....
                              those are nice. Recently stayed in one while bear hunting in NM and it was nice. 10x10. I'd go 10x14 for 2 people and gear and cost though.

Comment

Working...
                              X