No announcement yet.

7.62x39 or 300BO for hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62X39 is what I am setting up for my kids.

Comment

I went down this road once. I went with the 7.62x39 build kit from PSA. Also feeding issues are one of the main issues in the AR platform. I went with the C-products 10rd mags. Built it sold it before I ever got to run it. So I got a PSA AK47 and a Ruger ranch in 7.62x39.

Both like the Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39mm Ammunition 124 Grain Bi-Metal HP Steel Case.
      Last edited by justintyme8303; 11-14-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Wow, lots of great info and lots to think about, I'm getting a couple more Aero Precision lowers so I'll have 3 to be able to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
          If you were using bolt action get only one shot off at one pig and be done then 300blk if you plan on shooting at running pigs then 6.5grendel.
          Probably the best answer yet.. my Grendel is the best night time hog rifle I own.

Comment

300 Ham’r

Comment

Ima huge 7.62x39 fan!!! Have been hunting with that for 30 years. First with an SKS and now in AR platform. 300 crap out is worthless in my opinion. Plenty good options for factory ammo for 7.62x39 to hunt with

Comment

7.62 x 39 everyday..
                Shoot cheap tulammo 124gr soft points and have killed literal trailer loads of hogs at night with thermal

Comment

X39 all day everyday

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                    7.62 x 39 everyday..
                    Shoot cheap tulammo 124gr soft points and have killed literal trailer loads of hogs at night with thermal
                    Same here, just make sure you get an "enhanced" firing pin for the 7.62x39. A standard AR firing pin won't reliably set off the cheap steel case ammo. The new pin only costs a few bucks. If you're making a pistol, I would strongly consider getting a suppressor for it. Your ears will thank you. I won't shoot an AR pistol without ear pro or suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                      If running thermal suppresed night time set up with subsonic 300BO. If you’re just shooting non suppressed 7.62 all day every day throw lead down range for 1/4 price
                      didn't we already have a thread about the dangers of 300BO from a reliably taking down a pig without for sure ear holing them?

I love my PWS 7.62x39 upper for this task and just general fun!

Comment

Originally posted by aggiec05 View Post
                        didn't we already have a thread about the dangers of 300BO from a reliably taking down a pig without for sure ear holing them?

I love my PWS 7.62x39 upper for this task and just general fun!
                        https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/vie...474677969c9c64

Literally a decade of info...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Speaking with direct field experience, the X39 is far superior. Running pigs etc. Not shooting them over a feeder. The 300 blk is garbage.

Barrel length will obviously make huge differences. But it’s just a very underpowered round.

Comment

7.62x39 = cheaper and kills better but makes you a commie
                            300 BO = more options for subs and makes you an elite operator
                            Pick your poison

Comment

Someone already said it, but if you are going to be shooting supers, you seriously need to look at loads and data for the 300 HAMR. Designed specifically for supers and not subs, more powder volume than the BO, it gives a significant improvement over the BO. It took some convincing for me to believe it had a real advantage over the BO, but it does. Wilson Combat is your source for info and all things HAMR.

Comment

The only place blackout wins is platform/mag reliability and availability of subsonic ammo if that's your thing.

I like having lots of ammo. 7.62x39 wins on cost alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X