No announcement yet.

Copperhead study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a study by a bunch of snake hugger cavalry folks skewed to get folks to not kill venomous snakes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cavalrly flag snakes finished.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	24687364

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Sounds like a study by a bunch of snake hugger cavalry folks skewed to get folks to not kill venomous snakes...

[ATTACH]1094923[/ATTACH]
      I kill venomous snakes, but it still cracks me up when I see people misidentifying them with 100% certainty, or swearing up and down that one chased them for 50 feet.

Comment

Both my grandfathers lost appendages to copperheads. One was bit on little finger by copperhead that was under lawnmower had to cut off that finger. The other was teenager picking corn and got bit on toe and they had to cut it off. I dont care what this says, they are dangerous. These people saw the snake and I'm sure moved in a careful manner around it. What this study doesn't show is the surprise of a child or adult that doesn't know the snake is there and steps on it or very close to it. Or as walking directly toward it and snake can think the rapid approach is a attack and be more defensive. Lightly setting a boot with no crushing weight or human attached to it, is far from a real live person.

Comment

I’ve killed 4 copperheads this year on my little 4 acres. This is me just doing yard work and cutting trees. I’m sure if I really looked for them I could find more. Our cats have become great snake killers in their own right, they kill them and bring them to show me, good kitty!

Comment

Only snakes that have ever tried to bite me was a rattle snake I stepped on. Luckily my girlish scream and adrenaline fueled super vertical caused it to miss.

The other snake was a copper head that bit the heal of my boot when I stepped past it. I stomped the snot outta it like an Angora goat dancing an Irish jig.

Comment

That study mirrors my experience to a tee. I’ve been hunting venomous snakes most of my life. I have video of me trying to get a copperhead to strike me but all it wanted to do was get away.

Comment

I think if they had ran the glove under hot water or something they'd have had more strikes. But of course that's just a theory but it would make sense to me. Snakes don't want to bite anything that's not food if they don't have to. That's why rattlesnakes have rattles and the ones that don't have camouflage. They'd much rather avoid having to waste their venom on something that they can't eat.

Comment

I was one of the 2 of 69.

Comment

I agree with the others on the cottonmouths! I kill em all! Had one come at me in the water and one come at me on land!

Comment

Wish I would have read this before knocking 4 out in my front yard. I would have used tall gloves to relocate instead of swinging a hoe like a mad man. It does give me confidence that I can hunt them in crocks instead of snake boots [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been around snakes all my life, as have most of us who spend lots of time outdoors. I have had two very good opportunities to be bitten by copperheads and neither struck at me. I’ve also had two opportunities to be bitten by cottonmouths and BOTH struck, but one hit the sole of my boot and the other the hem of my jeans. I can tell you that I was almost walking on water trying to dislodge that last one. He was a little feller but looked like an anaconda to me. Regardless of studies though, I will continue to kill any venomous serpent that I’m able to. We have plenty of harmless snakes to eat the mice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          I have been around snakes all my life, as have most of us who spend lots of time outdoors. I have had two very good opportunities to be bitten by copperheads and neither struck at me. I’ve also had two opportunities to be bitten by cottonmouths and BOTH struck, but one hit the sole of my boot and the other the hem of my jeans. I can tell you that I was almost walking on water trying to dislodge that last one. He was a little feller but looked like an anaconda to me. Regardless of studies though, I will continue to kill any venomous serpent that I’m able to. We have plenty of harmless snakes to eat the mice.
                          IM right there with you but other way around for me it was copperheads that bit my boot. Kill em all.

Comment

My daddy, 2 SIL and myself have been bitten by copperheads.

Comment

My attitude with copperheads changed after I got nailed on the foot. They are not loving kind creatures. Taking a no prisoners approach now.

BTW Copperhead venom stings like a B***H !

Comment

What that study tells me is that if basically 69 times I come across a copperhead I will get bit at least once. I don’t like those odds whenever I tromp through woods. If I can extend the amount of time it takes me to come across 69 copperheads I will kill everyone I see.

Comment

Working...
                                X