No announcement yet.

White bass………are delicious!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never cut the red out of sand bass. Coat the filets with mustard, roll in corn meal and fry.

Comment

Love the pix. Make sure you print those!

Like most others, I prefer crappie over white bass, but still like them. I take the red line out, but that is my personal preference. I use a razor knife and have gotten pretty good at it after doing hundreds.
      Lesto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
        I've never cut the red out of sand bass. Coat the filets with mustard, roll in corn meal and fry.
        I have done this a couple of times for the crowd that thinks they are fishy tasting. Never heard a single complaint.

Comment

I had some 2 nights ago myself. I ate the leftover fish the next morning straight out of the fridge. Loved it.

Comment

I've filleted about 200 of them this year. I cooked up about half of them and gave the others to some friends. I don't bother with trying to trim a little red meat out. When I have 100 fish to clean I'm not wasting my time, and I've never had anyone complain.

Comment

For the wife....the red line is not about the fishier taste. It is the gray looking flesh when its cooked. She says it grosses her out Same thing with striper and redfish for that matter. If she is served redfish on the halfshell you can watch her carefully remove the top layer to separate... It's quite comical. The other thing that bothers her are shrimp and crawfish poop chutes..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                For the wife....the red line is not about the fishier taste. It is the gray looking flesh when its cooked. She says it grosses her out Same thing with striper and redfish for that matter. If she is served redfish on the halfshell you can watch her carefully remove the top layer to separate... It's quite comical. The other thing that bothers her are shrimp and crawfish poop chutes..
                Women!! SMDH

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  She's a weirdo like you too.

Comment

We dont cut out red but only really keep the “loin”. The rib half goes in the trash. There is a strip of fat stored on the very top of the loin. That can be pulled right off and I came up being told to always remove for a cleaner flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have caught and cleaned just about every fish you can think of in Texas. White bass are right there with crappie in the top three. Now granted I usually catch them in January and Feb when the water is cold. Also we are generally catching so many that I can cull limits if large males. A 12 inch male from cold water is as good as fish gets.
                      Last edited by GarGuy; 06-27-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Women!! SMDH

Yup! Good thing they have boobies...

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        She's a weirdo like you too.

I ain't skeert of anything I listed above!

Comment

People that enjoy eating white bas generally don't know how to catch crappie.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            I have caught and cleaned just about every fish you xan think of in Texas. White bass are right there with crappie in the top three. Now granted I usually catch them in January and Feb when the water is cold. Also we are generally catching so many that I can cull limits if large males. A 12 inch male from cold water is as good as fish gets.
                            Thanks for the good laugh- I needed one

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                              Or catfish for that matter lol.

Crappie, op, blue cat, channel, then maybe white bass

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X