Kuiu vs Sitka vs First Lite vs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    Randy I can let you check out what Sitka gear I have if you like. Try it out, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Thx for the offer. Bring a couple pieces with you if you go to the Irving shoot and I’ll give it a look over.

Thx for the replies everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
      As mentioned above, the mountaineering companies have it down if you don’t mind solids (no camo). Arcteryx,, marmot, OR, minus 33 all make great stuff. Additionally, if you want to supoort a 100% made in the us company, look at stone glacier. They are a newer ultralight mountain hunting company. Their stuff is solid earth tones, but very high quality.

Of the Ones listed by the OP, each manufacturer makes some really good stuff and some mediocre stuff. I have found the Sitka, on average, to be a little more durable than the other two, but also heavier and a little less breathable..
      Definitely throw stone glacier into the mix. Well thought out and the fit is on par with Sitka. That’s my biggest gripe with Kuiu is the inconsistency with the fits and sizes. I will be moving into some more stone glacier and replacing some of my other stuff as it comes time. I prefer more solids now anyway for most instances

Comment

Since the OP specifically asked about Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite, I will limit my comments to those three brands. Like others have said, all of them are really good. I have some of each brand and have had good success with all of them. Each seem to fit a bit differently.

My rain gear and merino base layers are First Lite. My merino has been soaking wet from climbing and sweating like a pig yet it will still retain some degree of warmth. My rin gear simply needs to be given a good shake to get most excess water from it.
        My warm jacket and vest are Sitka. I caught a sale on these and have never looked back during cold and windy days. The jacket and vest are not waterproof but are highly water resistant. Gives me plenty of time to go into my pack and get the raingear out.

My pants are a combination of Kuiu and First Lite. I really liked my first generation First Lite pants as they are merino wool as well. My son got me into using Kuiu attack pants. They are also highly water resistant. I got a pair of their Axis Hybrid pants for this year as they are supposed to be warmer and more waterproof but I have not tried them out in the mountains yet.
        I have Kuiu glassing mitts. Seems like the wind is always cold when you are glassing from a high ridge. All of my items are very lightweight and can easily be stuffed in a pack when necessary.

Comment

All three are top notch. Personal fit, hunting style, or use would play more into choice after having a little of each.

Base layer, I prefer the FL merino products having multiple weights.

Having tried all three pant brands, I prefer the FL corrugated and sawbuck pants over Kuiu Attack or Sitka. Again, this is solely based on personal fit. If I was a smaller guy, I probably would have liked the Attack better. First Lite's merino pants lasted one weekend before tearing so won't go there. An older pair of Sitka 90% pants are probably my all time cool mid season favorite.

For active western style hunting, Kuiu seems to have the market. For bow hunting silent camo, my choice would be Sitka. Both the Fanatic and Stratus lines in Elevated 2 are extremely warm and quiet. The color blends well in most situations. Layering one size up with the Stratus has work well for several season. Late season cold, bibs have been the only change up in my routine.

Overall, I believe Sitka offers more variety for whitetail hunting in both camo color, windproof, and early to late season choices. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more FL though if doing more box stand hunting.
          Last edited by Notaguide; 02-28-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I really like Badlands gear.. I have their cold weather calor pants, 1/4 zip and tights, Merino base layers, and the venture jacket is the best hunting jacket I've ever had. And warm weather Algus pants and shirt for Texas hunting. Just added their upland game brush pants which are amazing trudging through the thick stuff chasing pheasants. My other favorite brand is Outdoor Research.. their hiking apparel is so comfortable, flexible and tough. Their foray goretex rain jacket and pants as my rain gear.. top notch! I find both of these brands on sale and have never purchased any of it for regular price or I'd go broke. Take a look as your looking into your options

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Kuiu vs Sitka vs First Lite vs...

As others have said, a mixture is best. And even then, once you get technical enough you will find that some pieces of gear fit your kit more than others.

My recommendations would be A) find someone you know who has some of this stuff so you can try it on. Other than Sitka, KUIU and First Lite aren’t gonna be available for you to try in store before buying.
              B) don’t stick to one brand and be the matching camo nazi. It makes you look like you’re hunting in your pajamas [emoji12].
              C) look for deals with other mountaineering companies like others have suggested, and don’t discount olive drab.
              D) it depends how you hunt. Jason Hairston with KUIU said years ago he would never come out with a whitetail lineup and that’s still pretty much the case since his passing. A lot of their stuff is geared towards the ultralight side of things which compromises durability (except for the Kutana and strong fleece lines) but they are still an awesome piece of gear.

Whatever you go with depends on how you hunt, whether it’s public land whitetail, elk, or where you’re just hiking to pre-hung stands, etc. If you’re a hang and hunt type guy, it’ll require you to pack in your top layers and that’s incredibly relevant.

From my personal experience, the best early season base layer tops have been Sitka and their core lightweight hoody. I’ve run one for 4 years and I can’t tear the thing up. Kuiu pro merino and first lite aero wool base layers are great but they fuzz up after a while and they will snag and tear after a while.

As for the base layers, the absolute game changer for me were Kuiu’s zip off peloton 240 leggings with the full zipper. The zipper allows you to take off the base layer from your legs without taking off your boots. Also, when hiking in you can unzip the pant legs to let them breathe.

Mid layers I prefer a fleece for late season, and I’m finding that high loft insulates better once I get in the tree, but I tend to sweat with Berber style fleeces when I hike in. I have a kuiu peloton 240 which is very wind resistant, but it’s not great for an insulating layer. I’ve recently purchased a peloton 97 zip hoodie, and while it’s awesome, it’s paper thin so the durability isn’t gonna be great. I wish I had gone with their new strong fleece. Sitka has a traverse mid layer that’s meant to be more durable but I don’t feel like it’s that breathable.

Now as to outer layers, again it depends. I have bow killed deer in my first lite unpronounceable puffy jacket, but to be honest I don’t know how because it sounds like a trash bag. It was windy, but puffy layers are not quiet. I do carry a set of puffy pants from cabelas (similar to Mountain hardware compressor pants) that work very well, but I hunt from a saddle and wear knee pads so noise isn’t as big of an issue for me but your results may vary if you stand hunt.

My late season kit is first lite, and I have a Woodbury jacket along with the sanctuary top and bibs. The Woodbury will cover 50-20 degrees (it all depends on how hot or cold you run) with just a base layer and a fleece mid layer. But I prefer to go to wool base layers once it’s below 40 degrees. The sanctuary stuff runs from about 40-0 degrees, but it all depends on what kind of layering I do. I will say on the first lite stuff you can open the zippers and regulate temperature a lot more than you would think.

That being said, my sanctuary jacket and bibs together weigh a combined 7lbs. Sitka’s fanatic stuff is not much lighter but both are awesome. I was not a fan of Sitka’s incinerator series because of the noise. Neither the fanatic nor the sanctuary kit are waterproof, but they are water resistant. Both are deathly quiet, but you don’t wanna hike in either one or you’ll overheat like crazy.

A few things to think about on wool versus synthetics are how much you’ll stink after not bathing for days. Wool gets a wet dog smell after about 3-4 days for me and then it doesn’t get any worse from there. Sitka’s polygiene treatment has been the least smelly, and synthetics dry the fastest, but wool has the ability to keep you warm when wet which is nice.

All of it comes down to personal preference.

If you’re in the dfw area and ever want to checkout some of this stuff before buying, shoot me a PM.

Good luck on your gear quest, it never really ends! [emoji23]
              Last edited by Kirby86; 02-28-2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Really good info guys! thank you! !
                Kirby86.. I appreciate the offer!

Comment

I have Sitka and First Lite. I prefer Sitka.
                  Its expensive stuff, but its stuff you will wear for years and years and years.

Comment

Im sure all are great in their own right. I like Sitka. Warm, Cuts all wind, Extreme waterproof, not bulky and solid quality that lasts.

Comment

Is anyone using a Kuiu Venture 1800 or Venture 2300 day pack. If yes.....what is the size difference......I know 500 cu.in. but I can not find actual dimensions. I think I want the 2300 but would like to hear any experience on either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        Is anyone using a Kuiu Venture 1800 or Venture 2300 day pack. If yes.....what is the size difference......I know 500 cu.in. but I can not find actual dimensions. I think I want the 2300 but would like to hear any experience on either one.
                        I had the 1800 and I returned it for the 2300. I don't know the actual dimensions but the 1800 seemed too small. I really like the 2300.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          I had the 1800 and I returned it for the 2300. I don't know the actual dimensions but the 1800 seemed too small. I really like the 2300.
                          I exchanged the 1800 for the 2300. I use the 2300 as my around travel and work pack.

I think the 1800 is to small for a none load self pack

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                            Thanks !!!

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            I exchanged the 1800 for the 2300. I use the 2300 as my around travel and work pack.

I think the 1800 is to small for a none load self pack
                            I was thinking the same thing. I am going to use it for a saddle hunting/treestand pack 90% of the time.
                            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              Thanks !!!

I was thinking the same thing. I am going to use it for saddle hunting/treestand pack 90% of the time.
                              I use the icon pro 3500 as a day pack all the way out to 7 days for elk hunting in the back country. It's a little small for 7 days but make it work and works great for a day pack and still being able to haul out animals. I know this isn't what you were asking about but for size I'd go the 2300 route if not a touch bigger.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                                X