No announcement yet.

Axis and Black buck survival???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just like a fish kill, this will take at least a decade to recover.

Comment

My parents have a herd of 10 axis that they would see on a regular basis, they put out alfalfa and the whole 9 yards for them. Today, my mom said they’ve only been seeing 1 doe from that group. Not looking great. We are all sick to our stomach over it ☹️

Comment

I’m counting my blessings so far. Been staying on these animals the last 4 days and I’m tired. So far I havnt lost anything but 2nd ranch I manage I found an axis doe today limping really bad. Either broke leg or possibly bedded down for so long the leg had zero blood flow. If I see her tomorrow and she is still limping bad then I may go ahead and take her. All other animals so far are very energetic. Got a good 1/2” of sleet and probably 3”-4” of additional snow before dark. We will see what tomorrow holds! Few pics from today
        Attached Files

Comment

Found two blackbuck does dead in our pond yesterday when went out to bust ice on the pond. The whole pond was not iced over yet. No idea why these two went into the pond. Checked fence line and no coyotes were in or tracks in the snow. Only saw a few of the axis
          Been on free choice protein, rice bran corn hay and high energy feed for the last week and these two were fat and healthy
          It’s hardest on the males that have been breeding and fighting and the young ones

Comment

Mother Nature will hit the reset button on ya, especially when man puts wildlife where they don’t belong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Mother Nature will hit the reset button on ya, especially when man puts wildlife where they don’t belong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Very True.. I would imagine that the Kudu, Bongo and Eland are taking a huge hit.. Their winter coats are still basically no hair at all..

Ive always wondered how those short haired black buck survive our normal hill country winters....

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                My parents have a herd of 10 axis that they would see on a regular basis, they put out alfalfa and the whole 9 yards for them. Today, my mom said they’ve only been seeing 1 doe from that group. Not looking great. We are all sick to our stomach over it ☹️
                Where is that? Sorry for your folks . I feed a few whitetail around the house
                Put out water for them yesterday and an extra protein block
                8 days in a row we havent been over 30 degrees in brown county

Comment

waiting to hear now if my hunts cancelled for next weekend

so sad

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    Very True.. I would imagine that the Kudu, Bongo and Eland are taking a huge hit.. Their winter coats are still basically no hair at all..

Ive always wondered how those short haired black buck survive our normal hill country winters....
                    Kudu seemed to fair ok in both hill country and south texas for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                      Kudu seemed to fair ok in both hill country and south texas for whatever reason.
                      Great news.. I would not have expected that... A bunch will no doubt have bad frost bite on their ears.. I've mounted a couple of kudu over the years with 1/3 of their ear gone.. Straight across like a scissor cut..

Comment

Working...
                      X