FMJ ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMJ ammo

Why is it most .223 or 5.56 ammo you find hard ball? I mean I guess it's fine for punching paper or ringing the gong at the range but it sucks for shooting flesh and blood targets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nato rd...they made/make a ton in different countries

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Why is it most .223 or 5.56 ammo you find hard ball? I mean I guess it's fine for punching paper or ringing the gong at the range but it sucks for shooting flesh and blood targets.

Most of the market for .223 are AR-15 range and casual shooters who just enjoy shooting targets. Not hunters unlike the other rounds which are pretty much going to be 100% a hunting round of some sort not a pleasure shooting round.

Comment

I understand it might not be the most explosive option on the market, but FMJ will kill your *** dead, too. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
          I understand it might not be the most explosive option on the market, but FMJ will kill your *** dead, too. Lol

M193 is no joke at defensive ranges.

I wouldn't want to be shot by any of it.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch of pigs with FMJs. It still does tremendous hydrostatic damage. It’s not like it just zips through and doesn’t do any damage.

Comment

I have a pig magazine, and an other game magazine. FMJ for pigs. Headshots or if I can only get them on the run then I am going to punch holes in them.

Comment

FMJ did a number on them NVA and viet cong when I was in Nam. One round thru the brain pan and nothing left inside. Exit hole in the torso the size of your fist.

Comment

Ive always stuck w the cheap ammo for hunting varmint. Worked fine for neck shots on deer also.

Comment

duplicate but don't know how to delete
                    Last edited by Wanlail; 11-09-2020, 09:38 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

I can tell you this much. I’ve seen a 62 FMJ drop a full grown cow deader than chit in her tracks before she ever hit the ground with a heart shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        I can tell you this much. I’ve seen a 62 FMJ drop a full grown cow deader than chit in her tracks before she ever hit the ground with a heart shot.
                        will never be forgotten!

Also....a 20” AR with 193 will defeat a lot of body armor.

Comment

Okay. Well a couple of good answers.
                          I don't believe hunting with FMJ is for me. One of my ranch partners shoots pigs with his blackout and honestly we lose more with that than my .223 with SP rounds. I'm not saying it doesn't kill. I'm just not going to use it to hunt.
                          As far as defeating body armor I'm really hoping and doubting the vast majority of us will never have to worry about that.

Comment

I've dropped many of pigs in the shoulder with XM193. The .223 was designed around a 55 grain FMJ. The "tumble effect" makes the bullet devastating. The 62 grain XM855 was adopted later on for barrier penetration, however I still prefer the XM193.

With that being said, I still think soft points are better for deer, but don't group XM193 in the same category as other FMJ's in different calibers.

Comment

Okay. Well a couple of good answers.
                              I don't believe hunting with FMJ is for me. One of my ranch partners shoots pigs with his blackout and honestly we lose more with that than my .223 with SP rounds. I'm not saying it doesn't kill. I'm just not going to use it to hunt.
                              As far as defeating body armor I'm really hoping and doubting the vast majority of us will never have to worry about that.

I hear ya. I wouldn't choose to hunt with FMJs. If I had to in a pinch, I wouldn't feel terribly under-prepared with M193 and keeping my shots under 100 yds. Not all FMJ rounds are created equal. Thin jackets at high speeds can do some nasty stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X