Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #51
Walker
Ten Point
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
Is it always monday, and does this apply to every academy location? I just want some .22 lr to do some plinking with.
SA stores were mon, we'd, and Fri. But the store I went to this morning said their truck will start coming Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #52
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
Is it always monday, and does this apply to every academy location? I just want some .22 lr to do some plinking with.

Each store differs on when they get trucks, this week has been very off it seems for deliveries. Some stores you have to get there hours early for a chance to buy anything, some you can get there when they open and buy. Also some stores are very strict on the 3 box limit and some will let you get back in line as many times as youíd like to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #53
Mike
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
Some this pricing is driven by the manufacturers. I was in a friend's gun shop last week. He told me his cost for a box of 50 9mm FMJ is $22. Think about that: his cost is 50% more than the retail price a year ago.
I think you mean his cost from his distributors has increased. Manufacturers are going on record to prove they have not increased costs in over 18 months. The middle men are making a ton of $$.

Look at it this way, if the manufacturers have increased costs, Academy would be the very first to raise prices and their prices are still the same.

Some call it capitalism and others call it greed.

I know of 1500 boxes of 50 round 9mm in Southeast Texas, limit 20 boxes per person at $35.95 per box, if you want to pay that,,,,,
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #54
mikebyrge
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Hunt In: NW Louisiana
Default

I saw, and bought, 22 lr for the first time in months at Carter’s Country in Spring this weekend.

Aguila high-velocity - $3.99 for 50 rounds. Only allowed one box.

I’ve been shooting skeet a couple times a month and thankfully bird-shot can still be found.
mikebyrge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #55
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I think you mean his cost from his distributors has increased. Manufacturers are going on record to prove they have not increased costs in over 18 months. The middle men are making a ton of $$.

Look at it this way, if the manufacturers have increased costs, Academy would be the very first to raise prices and their prices are still the same.

Some call it capitalism and others call it greed.

I know of 1500 boxes of 50 round 9mm in Southeast Texas, limit 20 boxes per person at $35.95 per box, if you want to pay that,,,,,


Winchester has increased their pricing 6 times in the past year. Iíve noticed price increases at academy but the larger big box stores also have contracts and massive amounts on order so Iím sure their prices and time lines are better than a small shop buying a fraction of the amount


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #56
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
SA stores were mon, we'd, and Fri. But the store I went to this morning said their truck will start coming Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Iíd expect way less on them if the last few weeks around here are any indication. Iím wondering if they had pre-allocated orders for 2020 that arenít happening any more.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #57
joel45acp
Ten Point
 
joel45acp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
That didn't work out too well for the Indians, as sad as that is
Indians didnít have a Hoyt........
joel45acp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #58
Shurshot
Ten Point
 
Shurshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county
Default

Yet people still pay the crazy high prices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #59
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I went to 5 places today looking for 243 . No luck .
Here yaí go. I guess they decided if the other place could charge $70 and get it then they could charge $50.

https://www.ammofreedom.com/federal-...t&asaid=as0003
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #60
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
Certainly not illegal, we live in a free market system <snip>
No, we do not. Texas law prohibits artificially raising the price for certain items.

Here is a specific example: https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ic/3932523001/
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 01:59 AM   #61
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

The ammo producers are getting pressured by government not to produce the supply being demanded. But instead of the producers getting to reap the bounty of increased demand and limited supply it goes to the gougers, ticket scalpers if you will.
But hey if you were being threatened by the left to limit supply to citizens or face bankruptcy in prosecution what would you do?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #62
Tony Pic
Pope & Young
 
Tony Pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas and NYS
Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper
Default

It does not help that Obama chased all the lead smelters out of the USA.
Just about all is imported. Guns are plentiful, no ammo.
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...after-epa-clo/
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #63
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
The ammo producers are getting pressured by government not to produce the supply being demanded. But instead of the producers getting to reap the bounty of increased demand and limited supply it goes to the gougers, ticket scalpers if you will.
But hey if you were being threatened by the left to limit supply to citizens or face bankruptcy in prosecution what would you do?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It has to be something like this. For over a decade I've asked why no one competes more or expands production. Always an excuse. But demand stays super high. Now that Dems have taken over demand will only increase more.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #64
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
The ammo producers are getting pressured by government not to produce the supply being demanded.
Produce evidence of this.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #65
Mission408
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cleburne
Hunt In: Brownwood
Default

Im probably in the minority here but think (and hope) ammo will be almost back to normal in 6 months.
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #66
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Here ya’ go. I guess they decided if the other place could charge $70 and get it then they could charge $50.

https://www.ammofreedom.com/federal-...t&asaid=as0003
Edit: looks like they actually do have some in stock

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 01-14-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #67
rtjh
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission408 View Post
Im probably in the minority here but think (and hope) ammo will be almost back to normal in 6 months.
I hope so, it sure would be nice to go shoot without having to worry about replacing your ammo. I've stopped shooting unless I'm hunting.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #68
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
You guys beat the same group of dead horses every dang day. Find something new to complain about.
I do agree. Same guys who buy 1-2 boxes at a time and now have no ammo


WHen the price is right, load up. It doesn't go bad

I just sit back and laugh
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #69
rut-ro
Ten Point
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I do agree. Same guys who buy 1-2 boxes at a time and now have no ammo


WHen the price is right, load up. It doesn't go bad

I just sit back and laugh
So when the times get right the guys that but 1-2 will buy 15-20 and the guys that normally buy 15-20 will buy 50-60. I think the days of fully stocked ammo shelves ammo shelves are over. Unless it makes a rebound like TP.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #70
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Once nice thing about ammo shortages is the possibility that those pesky and inconsiderate neighbors who only seem to like to shoot up the woods at dawn and dusk during deer season may not be able to afford to any longer.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #71
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Produce evidence of this.
I have zero. I just figured that's how it's done here now. Just post anything and it's true because someone said so.

But honestly I don't but the BS reasons given in the latest responses from the ammo producers either. In any business if your customer base grows and demand grows you increase shifts, production equipment and your profits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #72
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Hunt In: mismatched camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I have zero. I just figured that's how it's done here now. Just post anything and it's true because someone said so.

But honestly I don't but the BS reasons given in the latest responses from the ammo producers either. In any business if your customer base grows and demand grows you increase shifts, production equipment and your profits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Unless, of course, the last time you did that, in preparation for Hillary to become president, your company took a ****ing bath. I encourage you to read about this on a non-bowhunting website. This is a good place to start: https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the...ne-162059.html

Appreciate the honesty about talking out of your azz. We all do itóitís just good to be up front about it.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #73
tdwinklr
Ten Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
While $100 for 50 rounds of .40 is nuts, however $168 for 200 9mm is no less nuts. How do you draw the line?
agreed. Start reloading or just quit shooting for awhile.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #74
tdwinklr
Ten Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

check this out ............


https://www.themeateater.com/video/f...5jb20ifQ%3D%3D
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #75
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Unless, of course, the last time you did that, in preparation for Hillary to become president, your company took a ****ing bath. I encourage you to read about this on a non-bowhunting website. This is a good place to start: https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the...ne-162059.html

Appreciate the honesty about talking out of your azz. We all do itóitís just good to be up front about it.
That article contradicts itself. The only reason they give is "the bottom may fall out of the market" Using that logic Americans would run out of everything because companies would never expand.

Name one product with as much over demand as ammo..just one. And that article also states it's going to take a LONG time to get back to normal, if ever.

I think our government is keeping them from producing. That would make a whole lot more sense. Limit resources needed, tax them more etc.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #76
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
agreed. Start reloading or just quit shooting for awhile.
Where do I buy primers?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #77
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #78
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.
Wrong! Look in the mirror and you shall see who is the blame for lack of preparation.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #79
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leander
Hunt In: McCulloch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.
This post screams socialism....
What I spent/spend MY money isn't anyones business lol.
If someone wants to sell ammo to someone else for .65 CPR they bought for .20CPR and they're happy to buy/sell it why should anyone else care?

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 01-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #80
TwoHighways
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

If SHTF, thousands of rounds of ammo is going to be tough transport. If you need more than a 500 rounds for every caliber you own, you'll probably end up dead before you exhaust your supply. That being said, it'll be great to barter with. As many problems as this country faces, I still appreciate the creature comforts living in a mostly civilized society affords us. I hope we collectively get our sh*t together before it things degrade into some sort of mad max scenario.

Last edited by TwoHighways; 01-14-2021 at 10:50 AM.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #81
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leander
Hunt In: McCulloch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
If SHTF, thousands of rounds of ammo is going to be tough transport. If you need more than a 500 rounds for every caliber you own, you'll probably end up dead before you exhaust your supply.
Why would people need to transport all of it?
a standard 50cal ammo can holds a ****pile of 5.56 and 9mm btw (or so I hear)

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 01-14-2021 at 10:53 AM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #82
TwoHighways
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Why would people need to transport it?
If you live out in the country, you'll probably be fine. If you live in an urban/suburban area, the first thing you'll want to do is get away from others.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #83
wellingtontx
Pope & Young
 
wellingtontx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas
Default

I hope the price gougers and those that are buying it up from the regular user are spending their lunch money and look foolish in 6 months.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #84
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.

Some people actually like to shoot their guns and like to have enough on hand to last them during the slim times. Those aren't the people buying ammo now. The people buying all of the ammo now are the people who didn't get while the gettin was good and used to say things like "why do you need all that ammo?"

We had several years where ammo was cheap and plentiful and plenty of reference that it wouldn't last. If someone needs ammo now and can't get it they have no one to blame but themselves.

I do feel bad for the people who just got into shooting or firearms as all of this was hitting though.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #85
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.
Do you realize how many people hoarded ammo years ago? Just imagine if they didn't. They would be on the demand side now and things would be a lot worse. If they didn't hoard that would have reduced demand in the past also which would be less manufacturing today, so a double whammy.

Everyone should hoard when prices are cheap. It keeps ammo companies doing good all the time. We've had this discussion like 8 times over the past 15-20 years and we will have it again.

I even remember long ago starting threads saying how it was cheap and free shipping (when I found that) and telling people to load up.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #86
rtjh
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Some people actually like to shoot their guns and like to have enough on hand to last them during the slim times. Those aren't the people buying ammo now. The people buying all of the ammo now are the people who didn't get while the gettin was good and used to say things like "why do you need all that ammo?"

We had several years where ammo was cheap and plentiful and plenty of reference that it wouldn't last. If someone needs ammo now and can't get it they have no one to blame but themselves.

I do feel bad for the people who just got into shooting or firearms as all of this was hitting though.
People who previously hoarded ammo are hoarding even more ammo now, at least the ones I know.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #87
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Why would people need to transport all of it?
a standard 50cal ammo can holds a ****pile of 5.56 and 9mm btw (or so I hear)

And why does stocking up on ammo have to be about shtf/bugging out?

I know this is way crazy guys but stay with me. What if one day in the very very distant future, a bunch of morons freak out over a virus. Then the government tells you you can't go to work or leave your house. Then mass civil unrest and riots hit many parts of the country for months. All causing people who didn't previously own guns, and people who didn't stock up on ammo during the good times to start panicking. Then, an openly anti-gun administration and congress gets elected. Causing further panic. All this adds up to a really bad situation for ammo availability.

What if you want to have ammo on hand to be able to shoot, train, practice and hunt during something like that?

Again. I know that is an absolutely crazy hypothetical scenario, but you never know what may happen.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #88
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
People who previously hoarded ammo are hoarding even more ammo now, at least the ones I know.
How are they buying it if it isn't available to people who don't have any?
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #89
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
And why does stocking up on ammo have to be about shtf/bugging out?

I know this is way crazy guys but stay with me. What if one day in the very very distant future, a bunch of morons freak out over a virus. Then the government tells you you can't go to work or leave your house. Then mass civil unrest and riots hit many parts of the country for months. All causing people who didn't previously own guns, and people who didn't stock up on ammo during the good times to start panicking. Then, an openly anti-gun administration and congress gets elected. Causing further panic. All this adds up to a really bad situation for ammo availability.

What if you want to have ammo on hand to be able to shoot, train, practice and hunt during something like that?

Again. I know that is an absolutely crazy hypothetical scenario, but you never know what may happen.
What's crazier is thinking how things always get crazier. It will get wild before long. May not be 2021 but I bet one of these coming years before 2025 we top 2020.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #90
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leander
Hunt In: McCulloch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
And why does stocking up on ammo have to be about shtf/bugging out?

I know this is way crazy guys but stay with me. What if one day in the very very distant future, a bunch of morons freak out over a virus. Then the government tells you you can't go to work or leave your house. Then mass civil unrest and riots hit many parts of the country for months. All causing people who didn't previously own guns, and people who didn't stock up on ammo during the good times to start panicking. Then, an openly anti-gun administration and congress gets elected. Causing further panic. All this adds up to a really bad situation for ammo availability.

What if you want to have ammo on hand to be able to shoot, train, practice and hunt during something like that?

Again. I know that is an absolutely crazy hypothetical scenario, but you never know what may happen.
LMAO!!!

BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #91
BrianL
Pope & Young
 
BrianL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paris
Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Do you realize how many people hoarded ammo years ago? Just imagine if they didn't. They would be on the demand side now and things would be a lot worse. If they didn't hoard that would have reduced demand in the past also which would be less manufacturing today, so a double whammy.

Everyone should hoard when prices are cheap. It keeps ammo companies doing good all the time. We've had this discussion like 8 times over the past 15-20 years and we will have it again.

I even remember long ago starting threads saying how it was cheap and free shipping (when I found that) and telling people to load up.
Agreed. We try to keep at least supplies to reload about 30K rounds(about a years worth of normal shooting when shooting steel matches), plus what I buy as factory rifle, 22lr, other ammo. I loaded 700 9mm on Saturday. We are down about 50% of our primers, but we buy 30K bullets and primers at a time when times are normal. I've bought some bullets thru this, but no primers.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #92
Tjacks84
Spike
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Default

I've been thinking about standing in line. It's just crazy can't hardly find anything.
Tjacks84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #93
FVR JR
Eight Point
 
FVR JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Classified
Default

I only have a problem with the people going around buying everything up, marking it up, then trying to act like they're doing you a favor. "But I don't buy it and sell it at a high price then someone else will buy it and keep it, my time is worth $X" is an argument I've seen. Then you get scalper "companies" that miraculously have herters, monarch etc private store brand ammo in stock at 300% markup, but want to act like they got it from a distributor. I have no problem with people selling ammo for high prices if someone else willingly pays it. I won't pay it, that's my choice. Capitalism at it's worst is still better than socialism. But let's not pretend it's not just about the money and/or greed when it comes to ammo right now.

Last edited by FVR JR; 01-14-2021 at 11:36 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #94
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Agreed. We try to keep at least supplies to reload about 30K rounds(about a years worth of normal shooting when shooting steel matches), plus what I buy as factory rifle, 22lr, other ammo. I loaded 700 9mm on Saturday. We are down about 50% of our primers, but we buy 30K bullets and primers at a time when times are normal. I've bought some bullets thru this, but no primers.
"You didn't build tha...." oops, I mean "you don't need that"
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #95
WyoBull
Ten Point
 
WyoBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming
Default

In my simple minded opinion, fear and fear alone is what is driving this shortage. If people were not in a near panic state thinking the Zombie Apocalypse was coming, there would be plenty to go around.

It is no different than 6-9 months ago when you could not find any toilet paper or cleaning supplies on store shelves.

I don't regularly buy ammunition as I am a reloader and have enough supplies to last a long time but I just think if we could get out of the state of fear we are in, everything would and will be just fine
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #96
KyleW
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Allen/Lubbock
Hunt In: Gordon TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
agreed. Start reloading or just quit shooting for awhile.
Reloading supplies arenít available either, at least not most powders or primers. Reloading isnít the answer right now unless you are already set up to reload.
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #97
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
This post screams socialism....
What I spent/spend MY money isn't anyones business lol.
If someone wants to sell ammo to someone else for .65 CPR they bought for .20CPR and they're happy to buy/sell it why should anyone else care?
You have a poor understanding of socialism. The reason that prices are high is supply and demand. Simple capitalism. I didn't say that people shouldn't be able to spend what they want on whatever they need. I said that the reason that prices are so high is that people are hording ammo, even at the current prices. That ammo is sitting around, not being shot. I didn't say that they should be punished for that or that it should be stopped. Oh, and for the poster above who said that lack of preparation was my issue, he'd be wrong. I have plenty of ammo, because I bought it when it was cheap. I also reload.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #98
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The problem isn't the gougers, its the people paying those prices and the people hording literally tens of thousands of rounds. That's where your ire should be.
I always like to blame others for my failures as well.

The fact that this hoarding tens of thousands of rounds havenít bought them this year. They did it when ammo was plentiful and cheap. Iíll let you come to your own conclusions on who to blame.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #99
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Why would people need to transport all of it?
a standard 50cal ammo can holds a ****pile of 5.56 and 9mm btw (or so I hear)

About 1250 223, or 2200 9 in 1 50cal can. Though one full of 9 is about 60lbs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #100
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
If SHTF, thousands of rounds of ammo is going to be tough transport. If you need more than a 500 rounds for every caliber you own, you'll probably end up dead before you exhaust your supply. That being said, it'll be great to barter with. As many problems as this country faces, I still appreciate the creature comforts living in a mostly civilized society affords us. I hope we collectively get our sh*t together before it things degrade into some sort of mad max scenario.
Iím not hoarding ammo because I expect to fight with thousands of rounds. Iím hoarding ammo so I can continue my lifestyle of hunting and shooting while others sit around on social media crying about not being able to find any. I do have defensive ammo for that intent, but Iím not fooling myself into thinking Iíll last hundred or thousands of rounds worth of fighting.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com