Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana
Default Educate me- 2nd WiFi antenna in house

Weíre in new construction, our route/ WiFi antenna is downstairs in the mechanical room. The electrician ran 3 ethernet cables in walls- 2 going to entertainment center to connect to a Sonos Amp (1 is a spare if needed) and 1 into an upstairs bonus room on the other side of the house.

The WiFi connection works upstairs, but is not as good as downstairs.

What exactly am I looking to buy? Iíve searched Google and Amazon and Iím not sure. One article says to use a regular 2nd router, thereís a number of others for outdoor long distance usage which I donít need. Iíd prefer plug-and-play and not have to be setting up network software if possible.

I have the ethernet cable in a low voltage box, on the wall next to a 120vac receptacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Eero
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

Like outlook8, I would also recommend a mesh system. Our house is very large and I finally gave up on repeaters and went to a mesh. We use the Deco and with 3 pucks I have service in every corner of our home.

Last edited by kae006; 01-13-2021 at 04:12 PM.
kae006 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Google Wifi. I have the 3 puck system and it works great. Their app is dummy proof too.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
Tommyh
Pope & Young

I purchased this for the same reason. It has a base unit connected via ethernet to my cable modem, and gets configured via app on my iphone. place where needed, and the app tells you KIND OF if they are placed in the best spot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
jb5001
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I have att internet and they have a wifi extender. It was $49. You donít have to hook it to the Ethernet cable but if you do it works better. If you have ATT Iíd get this.

jb5001 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I just installed this one and my modem and connections are in my basement as well.
I hooked one to my modem downstairs(I have a modem because my internet is through our cable company, Spectrum), and the other two upstairs with one on each side of the house.

It was amazing the difference in signal strength. I then renegotiated and got faster WiFi from Spectrum which required changing out their modem with a new one. The speed difference was incredible and I was very happy when I did a speed test after setting it up and went from 60-80 Mbps download speed to 458 Mbps.

The setup was truly very simple and a matter of downloading the Linksys app and following a few simple instructions. I can highly recommend the routers put in place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
luv2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Have the Orbi mesh system and it improved our WiFi tremendously
luv2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
I just installed this one and my modem and connections are in my basement as well.
I hooked one to my modem downstairs(I have a modem because my internet is through our cable company, Spectrum), and the other two upstairs with one on each side of the house.

It was amazing the difference in signal strength. I then renegotiated and got faster WiFi from Spectrum which required changing out their modem with a new one. The speed difference was incredible and I was very happy when I did a speed test after setting it up and went from 60-80 Mbps download speed to 458 Mbps.

The setup was truly very simple and a matter of downloading the Linksys app and following a few simple instructions. I can highly recommend the routers put in place.

I had the same problem as you OP. I went with the Linksys whole home as well. I could not get any internet in my mancave but now I have the same result as WyoBull. It made a tremendous improvement. Not a place in my house that my downloads are less than 450mbps.
bowaddict40 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Educate me- 2nd WiFi antenna in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
I had the same problem as you OP. I went with the Linksys whole home as well. I could not get any internet in my mancave but now I have the same result as WyoBull. It made a tremendous improvement. Not a place in my house that my downloads are less than 450mbps.

I have the same system but went with 5 nodes.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #11
SaintBlaise
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
Like outlook8, I would also recommend a mesh system. Our house is very large and I finally gave up on repeaters and went to a mesh. We use the Deco and with 3 pucks I have service in every corner of our home.
Which Deco do you have? They have several on their website. Was it hard to setup? We have to extenders from ATT that don't do much. Thanks
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 AM   #12
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post

458 mbps?

I get 15 mbps dsl over copper- but they say theyíll offer 50 over fiber in 2022. But I am in rural Montana.

Thanks for ideas, Iím doing homework.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top