Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
SBurk
Nubbin' Buck

Default Timed Protein Feeders

Looking to add a timed protein feeder. Leaning towards the TWS 2000# timed option. I like the fact that you can feed free choice or use it as a timed feeder. Anyone have any experience with these feeders?

Pros/cons on the Lamco or HB timed feeders?
SBurk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

The Lamco timed trough feeder is the next one I’ve ever owned. I’ve had it at least 5 years now and it’s working flawlessly. It’s stood up to cows, Axis, goats, and deer with no issues.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
chaseh
Spike

I'm interested as well. I like the ASF stand and fill protein model, but have ZERO experience with any of them. I found the ASF in OK about an hour from my lease, but am not ready to pull the trigger.
chaseh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Halfmoon
Six Point

Hunt In: Refugio County

I have used Lamco timed feeders for 10 years. I like them over the ASF because of the trough access for the deer. The only problem with them is if it rains and you are using protein versus something like soybean.
Halfmoon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

I do not own the aforementioned; however, I have a Ranch King Mighty Buck that has worked flawlessly.
wellingtontx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I have Krivoman feeders with The Hammer units. They work great.

I would suggest the The Hammer units that come with their own tubes vs the Krivoman tubes. You get 4 vs 3 and the Krivoman is too low. Coons can stand and reach it.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

I would suggest the The Hammer units that come with their own tubes vs the Krivoman tubes. You get 4 vs 3 and the Krivoman is too low. Coons can stand and reach it.
My units are the same length as Hammers. Also I have 4 tubes or 3 depending on 3 or 4 leg feeders. If your feeder is too low and you got it from me then the legs are wrong. Please let me know what it is and we will figure it out. My tubes are 38 inches from ground when on my feeders.
Krivoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
buckerup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, Texas. Coleman County

I have 4 of the All Seasons stand and fill feeders. Been using them for 4 years and have been very satisfied. I use them in an attractant capacity ( feed a few seconds morning and evening ) along with the regular corn feeders. It seems to work out very well.
buckerup is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
Chad74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post

I have the same setup, but you must have my legs because mine seems high around the length of 2 coons
Chad74 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colemane, OK / Hagermann when lucky

We are switching to the ranch king mighty buck timed protein feeders. Set up the 1st one last weekend.
dfkoon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #11
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

I’ve got the LAMCO 1500lber, deer love it. They eat it up even when it rains.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

I’ve had great success with the hammer on existing feeders that I’ve had
jason86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
SBurk
Nubbin' Buck

I appreciate all of the feedback regarding different protein feeder options.
SBurk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 12:05 AM   #14
DZM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack Counties, TX, & SE OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseh View Post
I'm interested as well. I like the ASF stand and fill protein model, but have ZERO experience with any of them. I found the ASF in OK about an hour from my lease, but am not ready to pull the trigger.
What part of Oklahoma? Iím looking for the same between ft worth and McAlester- Interested in the 1000lb stand and fill timed protein feeder
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 12:18 AM   #15
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

10 years with Lamco. Never had a single issue. Heck, I can only recall a couple of battery changes, and still have the original timers.
ACCURACYINC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #16
Stins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco TX & Dixon Co Nebraska

I have a Lamco and here are my only 2 complaints.

1. if you get a heavy rain and protein in the trough you run risk of it turning to a much then a nasty mess. In the past 10 years I have had to shovel it out a few times.
2. if you have to move it, the base is massive and will not fit inside the trailer rails.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new timed protein feeder and due to the pain in the A factor of moving the Lamco I am either going to pick up the ASF stand and fill, or the Might Buck. Both will fit into a trailer or even bed of my truck.
Stins is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #17
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stins View Post

1. if you get a heavy rain and protein in the trough you run risk of it turning to a much then a nasty mess. In the past 10 years I have had to shovel it out a few times.
2. if you have to move it, the base is massive and will not fit inside the trailer rails.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new timed protein feeder and due to the pain in the A factor of moving the Lamco I am either going to pick up the ASF stand and fill, or the Might Buck. Both will fit into a trailer or even bed of my truck.
You are correct on how big a pain in the rear the big Lamco is to move, we own our places so that is what we went with, it helps when you have access to a sky track, makes moving and filling a breeze.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #18
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

Luckily my trailer is wide and the Lamcos fit in between the rails. They are big though, but I love them. I had the 2000# timed All Seasons and had issues.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #19
cpr1979
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche

I have a TWS timed and just bought the Lamco 1500. So far i like the Lamco better. Easier to fill and can feed more deer at one time. Itís a beast but 2 guys can put it on its lid and move it easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpr1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #20
bcdawg1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie & Sutton Counties

Been running the Feedermax timed units (there are two listed for sale in the classified currently) for close to 15 yrs now, solid feeders, no issues, hold close to 2000 lbs. Have no experience with the TWS timed unit but have acquired one and will b putting it to work shortly.
bcdawg1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #21
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stins View Post

Just turn it upsized down and haul it. It can be hauled in a truck bed that way. Just strap it down well
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerup View Post
I have 4 of the All Seasons stand and fill feeders. Been using them for 4 years and have been very satisfied. I use them in an attractant capacity ( feed a few seconds morning and evening ) along with the regular corn feeders. It seems to work out very well.

Same here....except I've had 2 for 2 years. I like the price (bought used), the movability/size, and the deer dig it. Like the Lamcos too but for me the ASF was the way to go at the time monetarily. I think I have $850 in both. The deer seem to like them as well. I feed heavily in the offseason but cut it back during season so it acts more like the corn feeder as an attractant..

Name:  00IMG_0781.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  00IMG_0782.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  00IMG_0783.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  253.0 KB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #23
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Smart - what is the theory on putting the feeders on wood blocks ? Keep the coons off of it ?
wellingtontx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtontx View Post
Smart - what is the theory on putting the feeders on wood blocks ? Keep the coons off of it ?

They are 4x4s....or landscaping timbers depending on which feeder I post. I just did it to get the feeder trays up off the ground another 4" to give the deer better access to the trays under the side rainhoods. One 4x4x8 cut in half did both sides. It doesn't do anything coon wise. Deer pretty much clean it up so I don't mind them eating what the deer leave although we still trap them... They are limited only to that with a timed protein feeder, thankfully.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #25
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Any quirks on the all season timed feeders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
They are 4x4s....or landscaping timbers depending on which feeder I post. I just did it to get the feeder trays up off the ground another 4" to give the deer better access to the trays under the side rainhoods. One 4x4x8 cut in half did both sides. It doesn't do anything coon wise. Deer pretty much clean it up so I don't mind them eating what the deer leave although we still trap them... They are limited only to that with a timed protein feeder, thankfully.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #26
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
Any quirks on the all season timed feeders?

I'm dang happy with both of mine....but I also have a solid deer population that eats the protein well and keeps the troughs empty/clear for the most part.

About the only quirk at all is that the hoppers past the spinner plate that feeds the trays holds 75-80lbs of protein and the trays hold about 20-25 lbs.....so if your deer can't keep up with consumption, the protein has no where to go and it backs up after 100lbs fed.. I've only had it happen once when I set the feeding amount too high when I first started, during a green time of the year. They didn't consume enough to keep the troughs clear so it backed up. No big deal, I just scraped it off with my hand the next trip into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped it back into the feeder....topped off the feeder and went on with it. My deer for the most part keep it clear daily. You'll figure out a good happy medium feed duration after some experience with your deer.

You can see the hopper past the spinner in these pics...although the spinner is not visible here. I bought this one used and it sat up for awhile with protein in it before I got it.. I just pulled it apart to make sure there wasn't any mess or dirtdaubers in it, cleaned it all up, and took some pics.

Name:  00ASF.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  00ASF2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  174.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8562.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  46.4 KB

Last edited by Smart; 01-20-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #27
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Thanks Smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I'm dang happy with both of mine....but I also have a solid deer population that eats the protein well and keeps the troughs empty/clear for the most part.

About the only quirk at all is that the hoppers past the spinner plate that feeds the trays holds 75-80lbs of protein and the trays hold about 20-25 lbs.....so if your deer can't keep up with consumption, the protein has no where to go and it backs up after 100lbs fed.. I've only had it happen once when I set the feeding amount too high when I first started, during a green time of the year. They didn't consume enough to keep the troughs clear so it backed up. No big deal, I just scraped it off with my hand the next trip into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped it back into the feeder....topped off the feeder and went on with it. My deer for the most part keep it clear daily. You'll figure out a good happy medium feed duration after some experience with your deer.

You can see the hopper past the spinner in these pics...although the spinner is not visible here. I bought this one used and it sat up for awhile with protein in it before I got it.. I just pulled it apart to make sure there wasn't any mess or dirtdaubers in it, cleaned it all up, and took some pics.

Attachment 1037387

Attachment 1037388

Attachment 1037389
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top