Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman
Default Living 45 min from DFW airport

Suggest some areas/towns within 45 mins of DFW airport. My wife is pressing for us to move and be closer to her family. I work from home 75% of the time and travel, so being near a major airport certainly has some advantages.

Im doing this in protest. Id rather wake up with my left nut in a bear trap than live anywhere near the metromess. Seems no matter where you live on the outskirts it eventually encroaches on top of you....
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Bowtech2004
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise County

Godley
Bowtech2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
tfrye
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

I live in North Richland Hills (middle of the metromess) and I don't think you can live within 45 minutes of DFW and not be in a mess. you could go right at 45 minutes/hour and get some nice houses north of McKinney near Celina but that's pretty expensive. Haslet is a nice area but is slowly growing into a mess as well.

Places to look up:
Haslet
Azle
Aledo
Argyle
Weatherford
Celina
Melissa
Prosper

a lot of these will be closer to an hour from DFW, good luck!
tfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
lnester
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

Argyle. 30 minutes from DFW Airport, still can get some space.
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

We lived in Arlington, but if I were moving back Id be looking at the Mansfield area off 287

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

We lived in Arlington off Bowen and Abrams. 20-30 minutes to the airport depending on traffic. If there happened to be a bad accident on 20 or 360 it could take an hour to get there. We are so glad to be out of that craziness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Randallc
Four Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Brock
Weatherford
Randallc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
TexaRican
Pope & Young

I'm south of Granbury and loving it. Was traveling ~60% when I moved here June of 19 and have been home 98% since china virus started. Wife misses city conveniences and goes to Fort Worth every other weekend. Granbury does not have a sporting goods store, Target, SAMS/Costco and such but works fine for me. Probably average 1:10 to DFW if I schedule super early or after rush hour. Toll charges are nasty but the company pays so I don't care.
TexaRican is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Weatherford, Aledo, Willow Park, Hudson Oaks, Granbury are west/south of Ft Worth. All growing like weeds but not as hectic as the metromess. Probably not within 45 min though but not too far

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Redraider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

we don't want you near. Stay in Lubbock
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
MLank
Ten Point

Where is the family located? Let's see if we can get you within 45min of DFW and 20-30 min of family as well.
MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
austin.28
Six Point

Hunt In: Collin Co and Wise Co

Prosper and Celina are good areas and schools
austin.28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #13
savage1134
Six Point

Hunt In: MO,TX, GA

Justin, Argyle, Ponder, Krum

I live in Justin, office is near the airport. Not a bad drive currently with less travel on the roads. 114 can be a beach sometimes.
savage1134 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #14
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

depends on how much space you want. If 45min is without traffic you have a lot of options. When we lived in south fort worth what normally was a 35min drive for my wife to get to the office was 1 1/2 -2 hours each way with rush hour traffic. If I wanted more space I'd be going to Mansfield or Weatherford. Aledo, Argyle, Roanoke all those places are already so built up imo it's no different than getting right in the middle of DFW. I think Justin and Haslet would be good too, my buddy bought up there a couple years ago and everyone in his neighborhood is 1ac lots min

I like Coppell but we both work from home right now so don't deal with traffic. Everything is here, good schools, 10min to the airport since in normal times I travel a lot for work, but it's in the middle of everything so there are a lot of people.
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #15
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Celina you can find some space but it’s filling up quick.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #16
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

I used to commute to DFW from Mansfield. Without traffic it’s 1/2 hour. Mansfield has grown up a lot in the 19 years we’ve lived here but still kept a bit of its small town charm. That said property has become ridiculously expensive and taxes are through the roof.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
we don't want you near. Stay in Lubbock
Ali- let Leah know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post
Where is the family located? Let's see if we can get you within 45min of DFW and 20-30 min of family as well.
Family lives in Bedford/Euless, with a sister moving from Kansas IF her husband can find a job. 5 hrs is close enough for me already

Originally when this came up a few years ago, Abilene was as far west and as much of a compromise as I considered....
Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #18
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

Decatur Springtown paradise Boyd Rhome arouora

I live in sw wise county bw 199 and 114 I can be parked in the garage at my terminal in 50 min +/-. I have a good spread and can see 1 neighbor from my place. Get west of the metro near 287 or 114. Very rural and a quick trip to dfw.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
JBJTX81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #19
dhall1414
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1134 View Post

I live in Justin, office is near the airport. Not a bad drive currently with less travel on the roads. 114 can be a beach sometimes.
These spots are all pretty good location and space wise, though are varied in reputation of schools. Argyle was one of the first to allow their staff to conceal carry on campus, but last I saw land is about $100k/acre. They also have one of the top rated private schools in the state there (liberty Christian). I live just north Krum in Sanger, about 3 min from Ray Roberts marina. I grew up in arlington, went to school in mansfield (highest property taxes ever) and went to college in irving and then plano. I love every minute of being outside the crap of the metromess.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #20
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Ali- let Leah know!
Leah may kick my @$$, and then when y'all do move closer to family, they're all gonna fight and not talk with each other...

Last edited by ATI; 01-13-2021 at 10:01 AM.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #21
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJTX81 View Post
Decatur Springtown paradise Boyd Rhome arouora

I live in sw wise county bw 199 and 114 I can be parked in the garage at my terminal in 50 min +/-. I have a good spread and can see 1 neighbor from my place. Get west of the metro near 287 or 114. Very rural and a quick trip to dfw.

This area.

JBJTX81 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #22
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

You are right and she is wrong. I would suggest she knows what she would be getting into. Maybe spend some extended time in area closer to her family and see if she really wants to give up the shower paced life of the panhandle. It is a real beatdown living in the metromess. Even if you live in the burbs you will be fighting traffic. Only thing worse is living in H-town. You will miss your close hunting opportunities you have in the panhandle now

Last edited by .243 WSSM; 01-13-2021 at 09:56 AM.
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #23
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

No chance I ever go back to Dallas as a resident again!!!!! Couldn't pay me enough

Dallas: where everyone lives to impress on a credit card
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #24
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Corinth, Highland Village, Flower Mound, and Argyle are all north of DFW ( I still work there for the next 100 days) and easily within 45 minutes. Good shopping and easy connects to the major highways/toll roads.
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #25
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
This area.

Seems in line with what OP is looking for!
MLank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #26
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
You are right and she is wrong. I would suggest she knows what she would be getting into. Maybe spend some extended time in area closer to her family and see if she really wants to give up the shower paced life of the panhandle. It is a real beatdown living in the metromess. Even if you live in the burbs you will be fighting traffic. Only thing worse is living in H-town. You will miss your close hunting opportunities you have in the panhandle now
Word!
Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
PoohDaddy
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallc View Post
Brock
Weatherford
I moved to weatherford 6 1/2 years ago. Has everything you need, and only 20 minutes to fort worth. love living in this area
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #28
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Are you hellbent on flying out of DFW or can you go out of Love Field? I fly almost exclusively Southwest so it’s a no brainer for me. And trust me, Love is a lot less of a nut kick to get in and out of than DFW that’s for sure.
We are in Kaufman County and it’s about a 40 minute drive for me to Love right now.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #29
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

I'm in Gunter. Probably closer to an hour from DFW, but we have more space and feel out in the country a bit. It's nice!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #30
woodsbound
Six Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I live in SW Fort Worth near Crowley & commute to Irving near DFW airport everyday; it takes me 35 min from my front door to work when I go in with no traffic, and one hour home everyday in traffic.
As other have said, take a look at Weatherford or Brock, I dont have children but have heard that Brock has a very good school district if you all have kids. I have driven thru Rendon a few times west of Mansfield and it seems nice as well, still has a country feel to it with lots of land and houses not right on top of each other
woodsbound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #31
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Not sure what you are looking for but I have house in Paradise I'm getting ready to sell. 3/2/2 1200 sq ft on just under 1/2 acre.
armadillophil is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #32
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
depends on how much space you want. If 45min is without traffic you have a lot of options. When we lived in south fort worth what normally was a 35min drive for my wife to get to the office was 1 1/2 -2 hours each way with rush hour traffic. If I wanted more space I'd be going to Mansfield or Weatherford. Aledo, Argyle, Roanoke all those places are already so built up imo it's no different than getting right in the middle of DFW. I think Justin and Haslet would be good too, my buddy bought up there a couple years ago and everyone in his neighborhood is 1ac lots min

I like Coppell but we both work from home right now so don't deal with traffic. Everything is here, good schools, 10min to the airport since in normal times I travel a lot for work, but it's in the middle of everything so there are a lot of people.

Yep, small town in the middle of everything. I like that it is fairly quiet here, but you can get anywhere pretty easily. Only 10 min to airport. Actually cheaper to take a taxi to airport that pay for any parking. But, still in the Metromess. You really have to go north if you want to get out of it, but you'd be pushing that 45 min mark to get to DFW in normal times. If you are a planner you may be able to figure out the different trains /light rail schedules and and figure out how to take one of those to the airport and find a place according to that. Just depends on how much effort you want to put into getting there.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #33
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Ali- let Leah know!

Family lives in Bedford/Euless, with a sister moving from Kansas IF her husband can find a job. 5 hrs is close enough for me already

Originally when this came up a few years ago, Abilene was as far west and as much of a compromise as I considered....
Lol. Just get you a late 70s ranch style in ol midcities and get used to inlaws at your house. You'll adjust
camoclad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #34
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,and Erath County

Im in Godley sw of fort worth 35 minute on the toll way to down town fort worth or if your cheap like me about 45 drive otherwise. Love it here and great isd
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #35
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default Living 45 min from DFW airport

Im in Celina. Wife and I are happy here. Its the first Small town feel north of town, but its growing. Id probably look at Gunter if I were you.

Bullseye07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #36
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
This area.

I live in the circle. Its exploding. So many city people moving out here. We have a small addition out in the county and we have a FB page. They sent out a warning that a member SAW A COYOTE.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #37
mcbZX225
Four Point

Hunt In: Atoka Co.

I'm in Denison and it takes me a little over an hour to get to Coppell. The tolls are awful but I don't see speeds under 65 or 70 the whole drive in (Can't stand sitting in traffic). You could hit that 45 min window fairly close just south of Sherman and be able to have some room. As fast as things are moving north I'm not real sure how long it will last.
mcbZX225 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #38
Tcooper93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County

Weatherford
Tcooper93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #39
stroker_ace
Spike

Hunt In: Mills & Kaufman Counties

I am in Kaufman County too. It is about a 1hr drive to DFW with no traffic.
stroker_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #40
Bdunn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbZX225 View Post
I'm in Denison and it takes me a little over an hour to get to Coppell. The tolls are awful but I don't see speeds under 65 or 70 the whole drive in (Can't stand sitting in traffic). You could hit that 45 min window fairly close just south of Sherman and be able to have some room. As fast as things are moving north I'm not real sure how long it will last.
In Denison too, and this area is booming in growth. Way too quickly for my taste. If you move up this way and like the country, I'd recommend Whitesboro, Dorchester (right on 289), maybe down to Gunter. Much as I hate to say it, I'm looking into land in Oklahoma. Now, if you like city life, they're putting in a billion dollar 9,000 home master planned community in south Sherman with a lagoon!
Bdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #41
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Prayers sent, brother.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #42
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

Granbury and have not seen a dust storm since 2003, originally from Lubbock.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #43
crek1311
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County, Falls County, Wheeler County

I live in Mansfield. Takes 30-35 minutes to get to the airport. Allows flexibility between downtown Dallas and Fort Worth. Can escape all congestion in 5 minutes by heading south. It is growing fast though.
crek1311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #44
Playa
Pope & Young

Testicle in trap is sounding better and better...
Old 01-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #45
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Don't go to Grayson County. Bunch of weirdo's up there.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #46
ROBINHOOD11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin Co, Denton Co, Grayson Co

Don't do it! But if you do I'd say southwest of FW or north on preston (Prosper, Celina, Gunter)
ROBINHOOD11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #47
Rustled Again
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hext

Grapevine. Most of DFW is in Grapevine. Still has a little small town feel and centrally located.
Rustled Again is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #48
Passthrough
Pope & Young

I’d fight like heck to stay where you are...lol
I hate anything to do with ANY of the metro mess. And it’s rapidly growing....especially in lots of the towns mentioned!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #49
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustled Again View Post
Grapevine. Most of DFW is in Grapevine. Still has a little small town feel and centrally located.

Sorry, but nothing about Grapevine has a small town feel.

Bullseye07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #50
PapaSmurf
Four Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1134 View Post

I live in Justin as well great place fairly easy to get around..
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top