Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #101
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Well I have a private spot.... its closed to the public but I have a key.
These are not sloppy pocket bar tables. Be warned. Let's set a date .
I understand Diamonds very well .
Never seen a sloppy one.
Let's shoot for the end of Feb, that should give me long enough to plan something.
I don't play pool in a mask for any amount of money .
Not sure how ya'll run things down there
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #102
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
Ole garguy may be a sleeper! Better come prepared MadHatter.
I'm banking on it!!
Anyone you've never seen play, should be of great concern .
Underestimate no one in this game, because it does not require the same prerequisites as most other sports.
It does not require you to be in good shape, young or old, short or tall, male or female.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #103
SRK14
Eight Point
 
SRK14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Atlanta tx
Hunt In: Cass, miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I'm banking on it!!
Anyone you've never seen play, should be of great concern .
Underestimate no one in this game, because it does not require the same prerequisites as most other sports.
It does not require you to be in good shape, young or old, short or tall, male or female.

Is their any good places to play around Texarkana? Other than the usual dives such as shooters?
SRK14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #104
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
Ole garguy may be a sleeper! Better come prepared MadHatter.
I'm not a sleeper. Really I'm a beginner now. I played baby years ago but due to ruined discs in my back and neck, it's impossible to turn right. Im learning to shoot left handed.

Im a solid "a" player. Not a monster but I really enjoy trying to improve my lefty game.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #105
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
Is their any good places to play around Texarkana? Other than the usual dives such as shooters?
Nah man, that's a dead place, for the most part.
Remember the Branch Office days
The Moose lodge has a tournament on Wed, the Elks have tables, as well as the VFW.
There was a place out Summerhill that 2 diamonds bar boxes but haven't been there in 3 yrs or so.
Do you know Yang(yangsta the gangsta)?
Really cool Asian guy, frequents shooters, and probably the best player you will see around there.
He's good as gold, and if you like pool, he's in the center of everything pool related around those parts.
He won't be hard to find, and can point you to private rooms and tables.
Last time I was in shooters, they had the simonis on that 9ft pulled so tight, it was like playing on glass!!

Last edited by MadHatter; 01-13-2021 at 10:51 AM.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #106
SRK14
Eight Point
 
SRK14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Atlanta tx
Hunt In: Cass, miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Nah man, that's a dead place, for the most part.
Remember the Branch Office days
The Moose lodge has a tournament on Wed, the Elks have tables, as well as the VFW.
There was a place out Summerhill that 2 diamonds bar boxes but haven't been there in 3 yrs or so.
Do you know Yang(yangsta the gangsta)?
Really cool Asian guy, frequents shooters, and probably the best player you will see around there.
He's good as gold, and if you like pool, he's in the center of everything pool related around those parts.
He won't be hard to find, and can point you to private rooms and tables.
Last time I was in shooters, they had the simonis on that 9ft pulled so tight, it was like playing on glass!!

Iím probably too young for the branch office days. I hang around areas south of Fouke around Doddridge/Atlanta. 3 states area. Grew up in Doddridge. If I play, itís mostly in ida la. Bar tables, but Covid put the damper on that.
SRK14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #107
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
Iím probably too young for the branch office days. I hang around areas south of Fouke around Doddridge/Atlanta. 3 states area. Grew up in Doddridge. If I play, itís mostly in ida la. Bar tables, but Covid put the damper on that.
Down there, you don't have many options.
Shreveport or Little Rock will be your closest options, for a real pool hall..
Covid is about to wipe out pool across the US .
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #108
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I'm banking on it!!
Anyone you've never seen play, should be of great concern .
Underestimate no one in this game, because it does not require the same prerequisites as most other sports.
It does not require you to be in good shape, young or old, short or tall, male or female.
"That's why, we play the game".............
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #109
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
"That's why, we play the game".............
Amen!
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #110
tmurray
Ten Point
 
tmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
No worries, everyone does .
Now what tip are you going to put on it?
That's as bad as what broadhead to shoot
Feels like I'm being set up

Probably Kamui Original Medium but that is based on some research, not experience.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #111
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young
 
Leon County Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Found this old thread and have a question for you pros. I’ve always been an above average non-player. Just played a ton in college (15 years ago). My neighbor and I hang out quite a bit and he recently put a nice 8’ table in his house. We play fairly often but we’ve only ever had crappy sticks. The beat being a $50 graphite cue from Academy.

I want to get into a nice set of cues but don’t know what I’m looking for. I am fairly handy at putting English on the ball but need to be way better.

Should I be looking for 1 do it all cue? Should I have a fat tipped 25oz breaking cue?

Also, if I go to a billiards store can I demo them or am I better off listening to advice here and ordering online?

I tend to gravitate towards heavier cues when available, love a 21oz stick.

Take me to school please.
Lots of good info but you did ask some specific questions that can be answered. You can call the billiard factory in Stafford and see if they’ll let you try their cues as I’m sure they will to get a general feel. Probably need to understand that this won’t be your forever cue probably. Generally I’d start with a medium tip and don’t worry about using English so much. I’d forget about getting a breaking cue and just use a heavy house cue. Lighter the cue the more action you’ll impart so something g around 19/20 is a good happy medium. I played for 20 years with a 15 and I can tell you the action will hold you back. Enjoy the ride and think more about your table planning after the break rather than worrying about max English. Hope some of this is helpful.
Know when to hit them and when not to.

Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 01-13-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Leon County Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #112
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Feels like I'm being set up

Probably Kamui Original Medium but that is based on some research, not experience.
Nah it's preferance they all will work.
I've always played with a hard or superhard, shaved down to about a 3/16 thickness with a pad under it.
I don't like having much tip.
Talisman is my go too.
Like Snipers as well.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #113
Jaybo31
Pope & Young
 
Jaybo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: Montgomery County
Default

This thread makes me want to go home and watch The Color of Money tonight

Been a long time since I've played.
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #114
timberking
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Marshall
Hunt In: Harrison, Marion, Panola,Runnels
Default

Stayed at the pool hall growing up but the game was snooker. Been many many years.
timberking is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #115
Hart8
Pope & Young
 
Hart8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waxahachie,Tx
Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default

My Mother in law,and Father in law still play regularly.They live in N.Iowa..Both are very,very good.I don't even practice in front of them anymore.They play in lot's of tournaments.All over the Midwest.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #116
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Feels like I'm being set up

Probably Kamui Original Medium but that is based on some research, not experience.
I like a Kamui medium soft on a limber shaft. Get a pick and throw your old scuffer away. The tip will look ast yhpusandscof games.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #117
Hagen
Eight Point
 
Hagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Man you done gone and skeered me with all that pool info. I got me an ol 1980s Mucci poker to hit balls with. Bought me a custom OB Diablo with a rare #1plus shaft pro tapered to 13mm. Low deflection after shooting a high deflection 9.5mm shaft. Hated it. Played a Predator full carbon shaft. Hit great but just didnt have the feel of that limber old hoe handle . I'm back to th ge Mucci with a medium soft.

I'll never be all great. im too old and my back is bad. I will play you left handed though. 500 bucks race to ten if you give me 4 on the wire.
I see what u did there.
Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #118
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

When's the tournament ???
and where ?
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #119
Jaycar85
Ten Point
 
Jaycar85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Temple
Hunt In: Salado/moffat
Default

Any one ranked in apa?
Jaycar85 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #120
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young
 
Leon County Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><
Default

Ok. Was on here earlier today and it kinda gave me the bug again. Accidentally stopped by the billiard factory on the way home and picked up a nice little Birdseye maple Lucasi custom with blue floating inlays. You just can’t afford to get on the green screen anymore!
Leon County Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #121
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycar85 View Post
Any one ranked in apa?
Yes, I would be a 7 or 9 depending on which league.
Don't ever use that to judge a players speed, though, those rankings are ridiculously misleading.
The apa is a pariah.
Provides alot of entertainment for amateurs, rakes in millions, does nothing for the game of pool.
Over the last 3 or 4 yrs a system has developed, called Fargo rate.
It is the truest definition of a players skill from a numbers point of view.
You will need to play in rated tournaments though, over a given time, to aquire a rating.
Over 600 you're a proficient player.
650 a good "A" player.
700 a shortstop
750 good road players, and lower tier pros.
800 upper echelon pros
800+ the elite boys (SVB, Ko Brothers, Filler).
99% of APA 7 & 9 would run in 500-600 range.
The handicap system kills and distorts the perspective of what good is.
There's a huge world beyond the 7 & 9 rating because APA has no way to account for the skillset once you get so high.
There's a million miles between a 650 FR player and a 800 FR player, but in APA they would hold the same skillset ranking.
Just trying to give you a little perspective on it

Edit - to add, the APA skillset varies drastically across the US. A APA 7 in Texas, couldn't hang with some of the APA 5s in some parts of the Northeast. You guessed it, due to the handicapping.
It is based on the skillset of that area.

Last edited by MadHatter; 01-13-2021 at 09:51 PM.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #122
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
Ok. Was on here earlier today and it kinda gave me the bug again. Accidentally stopped by the billiard factory on the way home and picked up a nice little Birdseye maple Lucasi custom with blue floating inlays. You just canít afford to get on the green screen anymore!
Those Lucasis are jam up .
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #123
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young
 
Leon County Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Those Lucasis are jam up .
I hope so. I didnít get to play long with it but it felt super solid on hit and off center hits. Got a good deal on it after some chatting so I couldnít pass it up
Leon County Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #124
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
I hope so. I didnít get to play long with it but it felt super solid on hit and off center hits. Got a good deal on it after some chatting so I couldnít pass it up
And they all hit the same.
Always have.
That cannot be said for alot of production cues.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #125
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Those Lucasis are jam up .
They really are. Several of my friends swing them. I been wondering about that Furgo rating deal. All the cool kids have them. I need to get me one of those.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #126
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

I used to play pool about 6 days a week in my 20s played in tournaments all over played some pretty good players too . Haven't played in years and a guy I work with plays in a league I got a little interested found a Custom cue maker that needed a Knife now I'm making him a knife and he is making me a cue he is a awesome maker the handle is some beautiful redwood girl. Ill post pictures when done. Would love to get together to play some pool when this virus is stuff dies down.
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #127
waterdog
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

.

Last edited by waterdog; 01-13-2021 at 10:16 PM.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #128
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
They really are. Several of my friends swing them. I been wondering about that Furgo rating deal. All the cool kids have them. I need to get me one of those.
Gonna require playing in some good tournaments, and most likely a little travel.
Nothing a man that jumps airboats can't handle though .
Dallas has several, had a couple here in Longview the last couple yrs, Shreveport was having a really good one 4 times a yr at SidePockets but it's all shut down for the moment .
Places are open but the logistics for the organizers is shot all to he!!.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #129
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
I used to play pool about 6 days a week in my 20s played in tournaments all over played some pretty good players too . Haven't played in years and a guy I work with plays in a league I got a little interested found a Custom cue maker that needed a Knife now I'm making him a knife and he is making me a cue he is a awesome maker the handle is some beautiful redwood girl. Ill post pictures when done. Would love to get together to play some pool when this virus is stuff dies down.
Who?
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #130
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Charles Wilhite
Attached Images
 
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #131
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

He is just starting on it
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #132
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Gonna require playing in some good tournaments, and most likely a little travel.
Nothing a man that jumps airboats can't handle though .
Dallas has several, had a couple here in Longview the last couple yrs, Shreveport was having a really good one 4 times a yr at SidePockets but it's all shut down for the moment .
Places are open but the logistics for the organizers is shot all to he!!.
I was actually kidding. I have worked had to NOT be Fargo rated. Played a year of BCA league last year. They misspelled my name or something
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #133
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Recognize any of these names in the early 90s got to meet and play pool with several of them.
Attached Images
   
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #134
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Im not smart enough to flip them around but its pretty much the autographs of everyone in the 90s that was a top pro player.
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #135
GarGuy
Pope & Young
 
GarGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

I see ol Buddy Hall on there
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #136
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Yep
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #137
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Yeah, I know who all em them are, been around all of them except Ewa.
Most all are still around.
Allen and Buddy are getting on up there in age now.
Both became Hall of Famers.
It's now called the Space City Open.
One of the neat things about pool is you can rub shoulders with the greatest of the great and it's no big thing.
Everyone just hangs out in a room together.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #138
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Charles Wilhite
Beautiful blank.
What pin you putting in there?
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #139
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
I was actually kidding. I have worked had to NOT be Fargo rated. Played a year of BCA league last year. They misspelled my name or something
LMAO .
You do understand some things
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #140
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Its stabilized redwood but yes he is putting something in the core I don't remember what . but its going to have Blackwood points and ivory inlays. this is his co.pant
https://www.rhinocues.com
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:54 PM   #141
gatt40
Pope & Young
 
gatt40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever
Default

I started playing at the age of 14 in pool halls. By the time I finished college I was traveling between Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Louisiana & Mississippi. Ran with a guy named Lance Meek, aka Wolf. One of the best non professional money players in the late 70ís/80ís. He played the likes of Effrin Reyes, Buddy Hall, and ď RedĒ who owned a well know pool hall in Pasadena, Texas. These were big money games. Usually played after hours before 24 hr billiards clubs became the norm. I can say I was good and made plenty of cash, but he was way above my level. 9 ball was the game back then. Finally gave it up for the most part after my 1st son was born. I still have an original Meucci cue I played with that was appraised at $1500 back 1992. I remember those times as hard and scary. If you know pool you know there really wasnít any hustle like in the movies. You walked into a place and you knew the players and they knew you. It was all about getting the money right and getting the right game. Sometimes it was very humbling to be in a game where you just watch a guy run rack after rack after rack without you ever getting a shot. You watch him take your stake so quickly you feel stupid for getting into a game. You quickly know when to pull up when the guy your playing starts giving you from the 5 ball out and all the breaks. Thatís the game you donít want & believe me there are plenty of guys out there that would give you that game. You might as well just hand over your money when you walk in than play. I miss those days. It just got a little dangerous. I donít mean drunk cowboy types. I mean guys that played you with a backers money and the backers were seedy individuals that didnít like loosing. The players with a banker donít have any pressure to win. It wasnít there money. I usually played with my money and that was pressure. As good as I thought I was , I never got rich. Too hard to make a living that way. It was a business.

Last edited by gatt40; 01-13-2021 at 11:03 PM.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:56 PM   #142
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

If you like to read, any of you that like pool, should pic up R.A Dyers book, "Hustler Days".
It's beautifully written book, about factual people, and accounts of the early days, but written more like a novel.
It winds pool from 20s - 80s, through the lives of 3 of the greatest players ever.
Luthy Wimpy Lassiter, Houstons very own Jersey Red(Jack Breit), and Minnesota Fats.
It revolves loosely around the Janscos and the "Hustlers Jamboree", and gives you the history behind our modern version of it, The Derby City Classic.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 PM   #143
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Yeah, I know who all em them are, been around all of them except Ewa.
Most all are still around.
Allen and Buddy are getting on up there in age now.
Both became Hall of Famers.
It's now called the Space City Open.
One of the neat things about pool is you can rub shoulders with the greatest of the great and it's no big thing.
Everyone just hangs out in a room together.
Yes Keith McReady was there as well he had serious money betting, I was a broke 20 year old had never seen anyone break out 10k just to gamble with lol
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #144
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt40 View Post
I started playing at the age of 14 in pool halls. By the time I finished college I was traveling between Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Louisiana & Mississippi. Ran with a guy named Lance Meek, aka Wolf. One of the best non professional money players in the late 70ís/80ís. He played the likes of Effrin Reyes, Buddy Hall, and ď RedĒ who owned a well know pool hall in Pasadena, Texas. These were big money games. Usually played after hours before 24 hr billiards clubs became the norm. I can say I was good and made plenty of cash, but he was way above my level. 9 ball was the game back then. Finally gave it up for the most part after my 1st son was born. I still have an original Meucci cue I played with that was appraised at $1500 back 1992. I remember those times as hard and scary. If you know pool you know there really wasnít any hustle like in the movies. You walked into a place and you knew the players and they knew you. It was all about getting the money right and getting the right game. Sometimes it was very humbling to be in a game where you just watch a guy run rack after rack after rack without you ever getting a shot. You watch him take your stake so quickly you feel stupid for getting into a game. You quickly know when to pull up when the guy your playing starts giving you from the 5 ball out and all the breaks. Thatís the game you donít want & believe me there are plenty of guys out there that would give you that game. You might as well just hand over your money when you walk in than play. I miss those days. It just got a little dangerous. I donít mean drunk cowboy types. I mean guys that played you with a backers money and the backers were seedy individuals that didnít like loosing. The players with a banker donít have any pressure to win. It wasnít there money. I usually played with my money and that was pressure. As good as I thought I was , I never got rich. Too hard to make a living that way. It was a business.
Everything you just said was me in the 90s I knew everyone states over that was a good player. I did take a bet from a player I didn't know but assumed he was good just didn't knowhow good but a race to 7 playing 9 ball I got 3 shots in the set and none of them was a shot I could make lol.
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #145
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt40 View Post
I started playing at the age of 14 in pool halls. By the time I finished college I was traveling between Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Louisiana & Mississippi. Ran with a guy named Lance Meek, aka Wolf. One of the best non professional money players in the late 70ís/80ís. He played the likes of Effrin Reyes, Buddy Hall, and ď RedĒ who owned a well know pool hall in Pasadena, Texas. These were big money games. Usually played after hours before 24 hr billiards clubs became the norm. I can say I was good and made plenty of cash, but he was way above my level. 9 ball was the game back then. Finally gave it up for the most part after my 1st son was born. I still have an original Mueci cue I played with that was appraised at $1500 back 1992. I remember those times as hard and scary. If you know pool you know there really wasnít any hustle like in the movies. You walked into a place and you knew the players and they knew you. It was all about getting the money right and getting the right game. Sometimes it was very humbling to be in a game where you just watch a guy run rack after rack after rack without you ever getting a shot. You watch him take your stake so quickly you feel stupid for getting into a game. You quickly know when to pull up when the guy your playing starts giving you from the 5 ball out and all the breaks. Thatís the game you donít want & believe me there are plenty of guys out there that would give you that game. You might as well just hand over your money when you walk in than play. I miss those days. It just got a little dangerous. I donít mean drunk cowboy types. I mean guys that played you with a backers money and the backers were seedy individuals that didnít like loosing. The players with a banker donít have any pressure to win. It wasnít there money. I usually played with my money and that was pressure. As good as I thought I was , I never got rich. Too hard to make a living that way. It was a business.
It's virtually impossible even for the best of the best.
Pool is the most bankrupt sport that exist if I had to guess.
If you're not top 5 in the entire world, you're probably not covering living expenses.
Not to bust your bubble was Lance wasn't even that good a shortstop unless you can point me otherwise.
Anyone can match up with anyone at any given time in pool, there are no rules.
Nothing separates you from the best like in other sports, because the best are just broke fools like you and me .
So while he may have matched up with them, the game was never even, and regardless of the spot he came out for the worse.
I know the game very intricately and he wasn't anywhere near that skillevel.
The game is known, as you mentioned, and you would be hard pressed to find him mentioned.
Your game and stroke can only be hid so long.
Beat the wrong player at the wrong time, and the game can queer on you.
It's virtually impossible to hide anymore.
FB, Social Media, the internet all killed it.
Now you can walk into a bar in California, someone can snap a picture of you, blast it on few big platforms in the pool community, and 5 minutes later know what kinda food you feed your dog .
Brutal.
Pretty spot on, on the money.
It's wild!
Guys will have pimps backing them, cartel money, robbery money, and millions.
You never know where it's coming from until you show up.
9 times out of 10, there are guns involved.
Everybody knows, nobody cares, 95% of the time it's a chill atmosphere.
Cash is all that matters.
Things are night and day different though between now and even 10 yrs ago.
And it's getting cut up so bad, it's hard to wrap your mind around it.
They make our Government look like children.
If there's a true underbelly it's pool players.
I watched my best friend get drug around a parking lot until most the skin on his legs was gone.
He fired a air barrel, and they got him.
Nothing I could do, they all had guns, so I watched.
It's fascinating to me, the way they live, who they are, how their mind works.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #146
MadHatter
Ten Point
 
MadHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Yes Keith McReady was there as well he had serious money betting, I was a broke 20 year old had never seen anyone break out 10k just to gamble with lol
The "Earthquake ", possibly the craziest, of em all. When he was in gear, nobody alive had to like it, and most didn't.
Could have been a all time great and to some extent is, but he gave it up a little to late.
Career was like a long bottlerocket, and tournaments really weren't his style.
Known for betting as high as you could, and playing as long as you could, while being as high as you could be.
Hence "Keither on the Ether".
Guy was flying as high as he could while playing pool.
Go watch some of his matches .
Like Big Train from Houston.
Stay up 5 days straight on speed, and after that 4th day, nobody on earth wanted any of his game.
He would literally never miss.
Keith is alive and well though, married to someone that really loves him, and takes care of him.
He makes appearances from time to and occasionally plays in tournaments.
I've had the pleasure of watching him many times over the yrs.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #147
Hart8
Pope & Young
 
Hart8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waxahachie,Tx
Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default Funny you ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
dumb question: why do guys put chalk on the cue after every shot? what does the chalk do?
I sent this thread to my mother in-law last night.She said we we were worrying,or thinking..She said when a pocket knife comes out,and starts whittling the tip? You got em beat.She's been a card dealer for forty years.Never met anyone who can read people,like her..She likes me btw!lol
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #148
tmurray
Ten Point
 
tmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cypress, TX
Hunt In: Webb County
Default

I keep coming back to this thread, so glad I bumped it. I'm fascinated with the stories and even rented Color of Money last night, had never seen it.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #149
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo31 View Post
This thread makes me want to go home and watch The Color of Money tonight

Been a long time since I've played.
Lol I watched it again while I was off Christmas it had been probably 20 yrs lol
Bama is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #150
FatRedDrum
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Gladewater
Hunt In: Upshur Co
Default

Have any of y’all watched The Hustler? The Color of Money is kind of a sequel to it. It’s really great even if you don’t love pool. Pool Hall Junkies is another pretty decent one. Not nearly the same caliber of acting but, pretty good if you like pool or been around it much.
FatRedDrum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com