Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Default Best Gun Safe In Your Opinion and why?

Narrowed down to 3 so far, warranty and fire rated,old school dial no batteries, opinions wanted
1)Champion
2)Browning
3)Liberty

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 01-13-2021 at 08:27 PM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Depends on what you want. All that you listed are quality safes that will no doubt meet your needs. When we built a new house, I looked at all of them and decided to go custom. I couldn’t be happier. Built to my specs and delivered to my door.
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
QuackHunter
Ten Point

Iíve heard good things about all of them, Iíve also heard people trash talk liberty saying theyíre not that nice. The Winchesterís seem nice as well but Iím waiting on a Liberty Lincoln 25 currently, my boss has a large browning heís going to be getting rid of as well as a large Winchester he will likely be getting rid of. Heís also got a Pendleton which is cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
Walker
Ten Point

Non keypad for sure. Lot of other variables. Fire rating, especially if you are rural. I'd probably go with price.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

I shopped a good bit and got a Liberty with an old-school combo as I don't trust the electronic locks. Decent safe for the money.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
kkp005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madison County

I can strongly recommend browning hells canyon from experience

kkp005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Amsec is considerably better is you’re speaking of quality alone and not value.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

AmSec is the best bang for buck in my opinion. Iíve had mine for 4+ years and love it. Thankfully I havenít fire tested it.

txheartshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #9
bdubb
Four Point

Graffunder

Only time I wouldn’t suggest them is if you think you’ll be moving around homes any as moving them multiple times gets pricey.

Last edited by bdubb; 01-13-2021 at 08:37 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

In my “opinion” since you asked... none of the ones you listed are real “safes”. They are RSC’s. Residential Security Containers. If you want the best, look at Graffunder. You can see them at Lone Star Gun Safes in northwest Houston. When you see a real certified safe, you will appreciate the difference. ...since you asked.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/produ...es-weapon.html
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
timoub007
Eight Point

When I was shopping about ten years ago I wanted a better fire rating than the ones sold at TSC, Academy, etc. My research led me to Sturdy Safe. The only ting I did not like about them is that they are a California company but believe they have a good product. So far no issues with it and thankfully have not needed to test that fire rating.

Compare what is actually used for the fire retarding insulation. I wanted something more than sheetrock.

Tim
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #12
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Homeland Security and Safes

http://m.homelandsafes.com/site/index.html
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #13
bdubb
Four Point

I’ll expand on my Graffunder experience.

Pros:
They are simple and stout with no gimmicks. Build quality is good with a great fit and finish. Outside of someone showing up with Broco rods and experience you’ll do fine against just about any intrusion attempts. They have the weight to keep them in place and still have the ability to anchor to the slab. Group 1 locks on the E and F and the door, outside of its weight, glides open and closed with ease.

Cons:
You’re buying a heirloom quality safe in my opinion and you pay for it, even in just the cost of steel these days. The name alone will raise delivery costs but you can usually negotiate the delivery with the seller. If you get a heavier Graffunder you can expect a $1,000 move fee and limited options due to the need for a hydraulic trailer. Safe Moves is the go to for the Houston area and I believe they may also support San Antonio and Dallas too. Closing the door watch your fingers or they may become shorter. Also slow the door as you close the door. The air pressure as you close the door may eventually knock off the heat expanding smoke seals in a few places but they stick back on without issue.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #14
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheartshot View Post
AmSec is the best bang for buck in my opinion. Iíve had mine for 4+ years and love it. Thankfully I havenít fire tested it.

I just had a friend give me an AMSEC and it is awesome. If I have to buy another safe it will be an AMSEC.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #15
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
I can strongly recommend browning hells canyon from experience

****, Browning should use this as advertising if you'd allow them. That's impressive. That was a fully involved fire that was getting it. Sorry man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #16
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Went through apartment fire also, wish champion would show some fire testing results online
Saw videos on bad customer service on brownings also not USA made, liberty kind of bland but warranty sounds good,I was told add up value of storage items and judge from there as to how much
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #17
chaseh
Spike

I've had 3 safes, 1 American eagle by Cannon, 1 liberty fat boy jr, and my current Browning hells Canyon 72.

First 2 were dials, but the Hells canyon is electric. I wouldn't have bought it if wasn't for my locksmith telling me that the keypads have upgraded a lot in the last 10 years and he was very confident in their quality. I bought it at Orschlens Farm store and it was silently onsale. Gave 2500 for it plus 300 to get it delivered to the house. I REALLY like the features of it. Still not quite enough room, but my wife likes it so that's a plus.

I also bought my american eagle back from my buddy (who upgraded to my old fat boy jr) to use for ammo and misc items.

I like the hells canyon the best. The fat boy jr was a nice sized safe and around 1500 when purchased
chaseh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #18
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

I’m not big on brands, because other than the really high-end safes, they aren’t all that different.

I have a dial lock on my safe, and if I could do it again, would be digital. The dial has never given me issues, but takes so darn long to get into.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
Tommy1123
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx

Liberty 64T

BIG
Well built
Reasonably priced
Tommy1123 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
rtarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
Iím not big on brands, because other than the really high-end safes, they arenít all that different.

I have a dial lock on my safe, and if I could do it again, would be digital. The dial has never given me issues, but takes so darn long to get into.
Typically, it is no trouble to retrofit an electronic lock on most gun safes. What brand and model do you have?

Todd
Whitley's Lock & Safe
San Antonio
rtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top