Balcones Canyonlands NWR youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
    My stepson was drawn for this hunt 11/11. Since applying for the hunt, we have done some weekend swapping and he will now be with his dad. The permit lists me being drawn with him. Y'all know if they will let his dad bring him, if he will?
    Talked to TPWD and they said shouldn't be an issue since youth is the one hunting but it is up to the individual location to decide. Called the Refuge Manager and he said it is fine.

Just wanted to pass on info in case anyone else has situation arise. Good luck guys n gals!

Comment

That's good to know! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
        Received the hunt info and permit in an email but it does not include a unit pick. I assume they will hand those out at orientation which means we wont be able to scout the area we drew.
        That is new and must be because tpwd is handling the hunts now. In the past you would know what unit you would be in when you got your draw notice.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
          Talked to TPWD and they said shouldn't be an issue since youth is the one hunting but it is up to the individual location to decide. Called the Refuge Manager and he said it is fine.

Just wanted to pass on info in case anyone else has situation arise. Good luck guys n gals!
          That's interesting because my boy's mom called and tried to get me swapped in and they said it's not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            That is new and must be because tpwd is handling the hunts now. In the past you would know what unit you would be in when you got your draw notice.
            I got picked again this year. I called Balcones and they said TPWD is going to send them the draw names, then they (Balcones rangers) will decide which names go to which units and let us know. He asked for patience as this is the first year on the new system. I told him my name and asked to be put on the unit with the most deer LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              That's interesting because my boy's mom called and tried to get me swapped in and they said it's not allowed.

I called the Refuge Manager and he didn't even have any hesitation. Said accompanying adult isn't hunting anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son and I were drawn for Nov. 11-13 also. Any info is appreciated.

Comment

Looks like kiddo ended up being assigned Area #4. Can anyone tell me about hunting that area?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    Looks like kiddo ended up being assigned Area #4. Can anyone tell me about hunting that area?
                    Ive hunted 4 twice. Do they still have maps of the compartments?

Comment

Not sure where to look but this is what came attached to the PDF they sent with the area name.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'll be up there on a later hunt. I had unit #4 rated 2nd. Should be good.
                        With only two people in my group. I rated them in this order: 15, 4, 1, 11big, 9, 7big, 8 big.

Not sure if they will but 2 people on a large unit, so 7, 8, 11 might not be possible. Let me know how it goes, always nice to know.

Comment

My boy and I drew unit 2B. Anybody hunted this area?

Comment

Here is a google earth highlighted image of unit 4.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                              My boy and I drew unit 2B. Anybody hunted this area?
                              I have hunted 2 as well. You will have an assigned blind there. Do you know which one it is? In the past they were numbered. There are two entrances to that unit and only three blinds as it's a small area.

Comment

Tons of pigs in the area and some nice deer as well. We live a few miles away from there. If I could pick a unit from the map it would be 3 looks like thats close the the bird sanctuary. Dont know much about 4. Good luck! Unit 2 should have a good number of pigs and some deer as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X