How do you do your scent drag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you do your scent drag?

Hunting Texas for the first time near Grapevine Lake. Just curious how guys make and use a scent drag in this area? I'm seeing scrapes and I have put some doe scent on them. What is your favorite scent (Tinks 69)? Should a Hunter throw out a buck bomb just before the sun rises? I keep having deer walk by just before the sun comes up, and then I never see them again.

RedTail Hunter

Better off just peeing on a drag bag and watching what happens...

As for seeing your Deer early I'd figure out where they're headed and get ahead of em. Scent bombs or not it won't keep him there he'll go looking for booty

Comment

I use a piece of bailing twine and one of the wife's tampons. Tie it all together attach the other end to a stick and just drag it with me to the stand. Before I climb up I just drape it over a bush or somthing to let the wind get to it and game on!

Comment

There's a thread about mock scrapes or scrapes. Tons of info in there to tell ya how to handle em. Just pee in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayt22 View Post
          I use a piece of bailing twine and one of the wife's tampons. Tie it all together attach the other end to a stick and just drag it with me to the stand. Before I climb up I just drape it over a bush or somthing to let the wind get to it and game on!
          You serious Clark?

Comment

Comment

Can you reuse the same drag rag or wicks for the whole season or is it better to use a fresh drag each hunt?

Comment

I've heard this works good for trapping foxes but you're serious about deer and you've had success? Trying to visualize this method.

Comment

Personally, for public land I would avoid them.

People have been throwing scent lures at them from the beginning of the season. There is a very limited window as to when I would consider even using them, but otherwise I have watched them spook countless numbers of deer after walking across fields with scent drags.

If you are gonna use one, I would recommend Frank's Doe Pee. Commercial ones haven't done anything for me on private land.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                    Personally, for public land I would avoid them.

People have been throwing scent lures at them from the beginning of the season. There is a very limited window as to when I would consider even using them, but otherwise I have watched them spook countless numbers of deer after walking across fields with scent drags.

If you are gonna use one, I would recommend Frank's Doe Pee. Commercial ones haven't done anything for me on private land.
                    Kirby,

Thanks for the reply. I did pee in the scrape I found tonight. What are your thoughts on this technique on public? I was looking through the 2012 Grapevine thread and I enjoyed reading your story from March 2013 you posted about your dogs. I had a little black pig come by my stand this evening but I couldn't get a shot on it? Can you pattern hogs? Do you think hogs have patterns like deer?

Comment

Hogs

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
                      Kirby,

Thanks for the reply. I did pee in the scrape I found tonight. What are your thoughts on this technique on public? I was looking through the 2012 Grapevine thread and I enjoyed reading your story from March 2013 you posted about your dogs. I had a little black pig come by my stand this evening but I couldn't get a shot on it? Can you pattern hogs? Do you think hogs have patterns like deer?
                      Some pigs pretty much are roamers, but a lot of them will become creatures of habit of they find a good bedding area near a food source. So the answer is yes you can pattern them, but it's a little tougher on public land when they are pressured.

Comment

Hogs are a different story with scent lures and what not. I've had them follow sow in heat scents a few times.

When it comes to hogs, if you find areas that are recently rooted up, they're likely to return to that food source. I've found this to be true especially of acorns at Grapevine.

The thing about hogs at Grapevine is that they get pushed around a lot. Less at deer season because of obvious reasons.

I have peed in scrapes but I never noticed much difference as a result.

If you do decide to use scent lures, a little goes a LONG way. I'm more of the mindset that I use cover scents nowadays like Vanilla and cedar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What do you use for scent drags? Can you use any old rag laying around the house? How many times do you use the same rag or do you have to use a clean one each time?

Comment

I used the Code Blue dual drag with doe urine in front and buck urine in back and drag from a trail or deer sign toward my feeder and my stand and then hang the drag from my stand so the wind will catch it while I am hunting. I always use the same scent on the same drag position and I just reapply every other time or so. I reused the drag over and over. When dirty, I just rinsed off and reapplied. That is, when I actually WAS hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
                              I've heard this works good for trapping foxes but you're serious about deer and you've had success? Trying to visualize this method.
                              O buy various doe urine estrus products. Put them in a small spray bottle and spray the bottoms of my boots and boots. It's mostly for cover but Monday I saw a young buck with his nose down following my trail

Comment

Working...
                              X