Question for Home Builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Home Builders

I'm getting close to closing on some property, and drawing up some plans. My question is for those of you who build, or have built homes. I'm buying around 3 acres, and I was wondering if it is cheaper to build a 2 story home, or keep it all 1 story. I have enough property to spread the home out, but didn't know if the cost of concrete is more than going up to a second story.

I’m not a builder but most builders quote sq footage “under roof” in their bids....so I’m not sure the homeowner realizes any savings if there even actually were. Would probably be a different story if you are able to act as your own GC.

Comment

It is definitely cheaper to build 2 story. Less roof and slab.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

pros and cons to both. I think you need to figure out which you really would prefer to have and go from there.

Comment

Cheaper to build a 2 story, but no way would I ever build a 2 story again to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
            pros and cons to both. I think you need to figure out which you really would prefer to have and go from there.
            I am pretty sure I want a 2 story, and figured it would be cheaper but I wanted to get some input from people who actually know. I have a family member who is going to help me GC, and I want to make sure and do all my research and digging before I get nailed down on some floorplans.

Comment

Generally, it is less expensive to go two story. The roof and foundation are really the two biggest costs on the building shell.

However, you need to decide what you want long term. Don't make a decision today based on the cost if there's a chance you'll regret it later on.

Comment

Comment

What these guys said. It’s cheaper to build up than out.

Comment

What is the negative about going up to a second story? If I do that I'll probably have 2 bedrooms, a full bath, and maybe a little bonus room for the kids.

Comment

Cheaper to build but more expensive to maintain

Comment

cheaper to go up than out for sure. but, the older you get, and if you have any kind of back\knee\leg issues that second story is not too useful.

if you are your own GC you get some savings. if you are not GC, have two plans. one single story and one two story and get a bid on both and compare for yourself.

i typed this before the other posts about your preferences came in. my upstairs is solely kids and guest bedroom. had hip replacement surgery a few weeks ago, haven't been up there in a few months.
                        Last edited by W E H; 01-25-2021, 01:08 PM. Reason: other posts came in while typing

Comment

Lots of variables there to consider will both houses be the same on living and total footages?

Comment

Originally posted by Cabela View Post
                            Lots of variables there to consider will both houses be the same on living and total footages?
                            Essentially the same yes. I'm sure if I go with a second story It will be a little more, just because I'll add in a little bonus room for the kids. BUT I'll likely do this with a 1 story as well. I'll do a bonus room above the garage and make it a game room that I can stick my mounts in and the kids can have a room to play in.

Comment

I hate stairs

Comment

Working...
                              X