aging a deer by tooth wear/lab test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aging a deer by tooth wear/lab test

I posted this in management section but thought I would do here also.

This is a broad study using trained biologist to age deer by tooth wear. It also used lab testing. It used trained biologist to age deer by tooth wear. It also used lab testing.

All of the deer that were aged were deer of a known age. The results are not very impressive - the older the deer were the lower the accurate aging was.

With the advent of protein IMO the tooth wear is much less than before protein feeding became popular.

The best way to determine age of a deer IMO is use of trail cameras to follow deer over a 3-5 year period -
    Attached Files

Do you have a link to the study?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am sorry I do not - should be able to google it

Comment

What that proves is it is really hard to age deer by tooth wear past 5 1/2. A guess at best especially if there is a lot of soft food available to them.

Comment

Comment

It is interesting to me that even the CA analysis is correct at most 75% of the time, and only with the 2.5 y.o. bucks---or am I not interpreting the graph correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              It is interesting to me that even the CA analysis is correct at most 75% of the time, and only with the 2.5 y.o. bucks---or am I not interpreting the graph correctly?
              you are correct and when the CA gets to the important years on when bucks get shot on managed ranches (ages 5 and 6) the accuracy drops under 50%

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                you are correct and when the CA gets to the important years on when bucks get shot on managed ranches (ages 5 and 6) the accuracy drops under 50%
                This is what I keep telling people. They think that method is flawless. It's no more accurate than our guesses. No substitute for history.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  This is what I keep telling people. They think that method is flawless. It's no more accurate than our guesses. No substitute for history.
                  True, but if you got no history its as close as humanly possible and a dang site better than looking at tooth wear.

Comment

This accuracy based on estimating the exact age. Most have always known that aging deer to a specific age class is difficult at best and there is little value in trying to do so. No point in aging deer past 6 as they are already physically mature. Accuracy is acceptable for the young age classes, and middle-aged deer are usually lumped together. Aging by tooth wear is still a valid management technique that provides meaningful information.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      From reading the details of this study, the weather is not cold\severe enough for the CA method to be accurate in the south. Being this was a Texas deer studying supports that belief.

Comment

You are right muddyz. WG&F has proven they are accurate to within 1 year on animals from northern climes.

Comment

Once they are dead the age doesn’t really matter anymore! You have to do best you can with body confirmation once the arrow is released or the trigger pulled its done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X