Moving to the RGV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the RGV

Just accepted a new job in Mission TX. I grew up in DFW and have no idea what to expect. What’s it like living down there? Any places I should avoid when looking for housing? Also what are some good outdoor opportunities? I’ll have my kayak and plan to check out south padre. I’ve fished a lot of lakes and rivers but have never fished salt other than once as a kid.

Welcome to the Jungle. Artos is a resident. Middion and La Joya are good places to live. My niece is a realtor (new but good) let me know of you want me to put you in contact.
    Falcon Lake is close by with world class fishing. If you can get membership, La Joya Lake is great also. There are a couple dove fields around also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The valley is great. Cost of living is cheaper than DFW. McAllen has a great archery shop called Point Blank. It’s unique and filled with LOTS of toys other than archery. I wouldn’t move west of Mission. McAllen and Sharyland are great places to live. Saltwater fishing is the best. There are kayak groups on FB. They can lead you in the right direction. When I had a kayak I fished Holly beach and South Bay. Mission has a Skeet club and range. You can DM anytime with questions. What line of work are you in?

Comment

^^^^^ every thing they say ^^^^
        I love the rgv , lived and worked everywhere from sirita, Raymondville, over to rio grand city
        The summer heat was my Achilles heel

There is a nice kayak ramp I know of
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-21-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

It dooo get hooooot!!, but you're right in the middle of some of the best hunting and fishing grounds on the planet!! Birds galore, close to Muy Grande deer, Mega trout, world class ditch pickles, offshore fishin' close in, you name it. THE GREATEST Mexican food on the planet too!! But it doooo get hoooooot!! But it dang near NEVER freezes in the Winter!
          Good luck!! Never lived in the valley, but love to visit! Been goin' since I was a kid. Folks are laid back... pace is slower, peaceful, good livin'... Talk to Artos about where to live. He's a native and will steer you right.

Good luck!

Comment

I'm a valley rat too. Moved out back in 2011 but the valley is always HOME. The transition betwen the valley and College Station for me/us was an easy one. If you like a chill lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle, you'll love the valley.

Houses are cheap and PLENTIFUL. Cost of living is super low. The food is awesome. People are great. Take a look between in Sharyland and Edinburg.

Plus...its an outdoors hunting and fishing paradise. Public land close by, birds galore, big deer, great fishing.
            Last edited by Chuy; 05-21-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Keep all of your stuff locked up tight! Some of it may walk off when you're not around or not looking.

A relative of mine had his car stolen out of his driveway while he was home! In broad daylight!

Comment

PM me if you'd like. I grew up in Mission. I move to the Houston area 12 years ago. I can give you the "skinny"...

Comment

I love the RGV...it's almost like being in the United States. Border life is different than the interior for both Texas & Mexico. If you like to hunt & fish you have plenty of options.

Holler at me when you're ready & can help you find a roosting spot...wife is a realtor (although might be inactive) but can help set you up. Like stated McAllen & Shary are good options next door to Mission which has great neighborhoods as well.

Comment

Welcome to the RGV! Plenty of things to do ! I have worked in Mission for 29 years let me know if you need anything shoot me a pm be glad to help.
                    Last edited by no bait; 05-21-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I like how the first reply was "Welcome too the Jungle..."

It's definitely different down yonder

Comment

Jealous. Best fishing on Tx coast. My wife won’t move there or I’d be there is a second. Maybe when kids are out of college and on their feet she will change her mind. Laid back

Comment

I’ve grown up all over NTX and WTX, but I spent a few years working in the Valley. I dang sure miss it. If the humidity (remember I’m a WTX boy) wasn’t so dang bad I’d seriously consider moving down there.

Comment

Grew up in that hell hole. I left for college in ‘93 and never moved back. The water suks, uninsured drivers are a huge issue, drugs and illegals are a major problem. besides that all is peachy.......not.

Comment

Wow it only took 6 posts before we got the "lock your things up" post. I think that may be a record.

The Valley is an awesome place to live. I was born and raised there. Moved away 7 years ago and often think about moving back but the opportunities in my line of work are pretty scarce.

Comment

Working...
                              X