No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The regs sheet section "Hunting Stands and Blinds" certainly reads as though we can set up blinds and stands on scouting day and remove them at the end of the hunt period. Why else would we need to "attach permit number or license number," if there were no times when we are not in the stands/blinds?

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
      Oh nice. good luck up there.

I'm wondering the same ad it scares me a little bc I have always hunted Unit 3. It's a trek back there but have never not seen animals. Kinda making me second guess my decision an where to hunt his wkend
      Unit 3 looks the most interesting to me too, both on the map and on satellite view. I get it that its a good 3-5 mile walk in and out again, but that's part of the fun IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
        Thanks! I got a cheap room at the Executive Inn in Laguna Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Gotcha. I got a cheap room at the Port Isla Inn in Port Isabel. We'll have to get together for a beer and burger one evening after hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
          Unit 3 looks the most interesting to me too, both on the map and on satellite view. I get it that its a good 3-5 mile walk in and out again, but that's part of the fun IMHO.
          Don't do it, if you walk more than 25 yards into the refuge it'll spook every animal out there off!!!

Comment

Still looking for someone to split cost of fishing cabin. Beginning tomorrow for 7 nights

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
              Don't do it, if you walk more than 25 yards into the refuge it'll spook every animal out there off!!!
              Perfect -- it'll be like one of those driven hunts -- you stay 100 yards off the road and I'll spook 'em in your direction!

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                Gotcha. I got a cheap room at the Port Isla Inn in Port Isabel. We'll have to get together for a beer and burger one evening after hunting.
                Johnny,

Count my brother and I in on a beer and burger one night. A friend recommended Chilli Willies for burgers and beer.

Comment

Once I get seated for my hunt, everyone can walk the refuge for a leisurely stroll as far as I am concerned. If it wasn't for you guys jumping stuff out of their bedding area's, the animals wouldn't keep moving around. That is why more stuff is shot in 6 and 8. More hunters going in and out and getting bored walking around keeping the animals moving. How many time have you heard a hunter say this animal came trotting in. You can thank that guy walking around.
                  Majority of people get up at 10:00 or 11:00 to head to truck for lunch. That's when you sit for another hour or so and let them move animals your way.
                  Hunt smarter, not harder. Shoot straight and shoot often.

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
                    Once I get seated for my hunt, everyone can walk the refuge for a leisurely stroll as far as I am concerned. If it wasn't for you guys jumping stuff out of their bedding area's, the animals wouldn't keep moving around. That is why more stuff is shot in 6 and 8. More hunters going in and out and getting bored walking around keeping the animals moving. How many time have you heard a hunter say this animal came trotting in. You can thank that guy walking around.
                    Majority of people get up at 10:00 or 11:00 to head to truck for lunch. That's when you sit for another hour or so and let them move animals your way.
                    Hound dog, no issue with people moving around during the heat of the day but at 7am and 6pm is where I dislike public lands. It might just be our hunting style up here. I would rather be able to pattern and harvest an animal that doesnt know im around then have someone spook and educate an animal. Just my humble opinion. None the less good luck!

Comment

I'm new in this site but agree. Be in the blind before daylight and leave after dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
                        Unit 3 is fantastic IMO. It def is a long way back there. I like that bc it keeps traffic down. Hit me up Thursday if you plan to hunt 3.

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
                          I agree with you. I go out before day light and stay there all day. I have seen a ton of guys moving during the lunch time hours. My first year I had so many guys walking thru my hunt area in unit 6 that I never went back in there again. I go as far as possible so I hopefully don’t see anyone.

Comment

Will anybody be meeting up in the evenings for a few beers and story telling?

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                              Will anybody be meeting up in the evenings for a few beers and story telling?

I’m down for that. Also planned on meeting up with Txfire409.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X