Big Bend Ranch SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend Ranch SP

Leaving the 29th with my two boys for the youth hunt at Big Bend State Park. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the archery went out there this year and how the deer herd is looking. I assume it’s like most west Texas areas and mule deer populations are pretty low but just trying to figure out what to expect. I’ve been fortunate to have hunted mule deer in west and north Texas as well as several places in New Mexico and Colorado and have taken a couple nice bucks. I’m not expecting my kids to come back with a big trophy but would like them to see a lot of wildlife and hopefully some bucks. Just not looking forward to the drive.

There are a few theeads in this forum on BBRSP. I’ve posted about my son’s and my experience there last December for the youth hunt.

In summary, we hunted nonstop from Friday after the orientation (in snow) until noon on Sunday. We saw 1 deer about 600 yards away.

That being said, it was all worth it and we’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

For the last two years we have taken one week long mountain biking trips to Big Bend SP and the only place I have seen mule deer (on both trips) is in the area around the Sauceda ranger station. We have traveled a lot of the area from the East Contrabando trailhead, up to Fresno Canyon to the Sauceda Ranger Station and back down the West Contrabando Trail, but have never seen mulies in these areas. I hope this helps.

Comment

Sounds like it’s gonna be pretty tough to just see some deer.

Comment

To be fair, during my son's hunt, a high school girl killed a real nice buck. There were two other kids on the hunt. They saw deer but didn't get shots or were holding out for something bigger.

Comment

Well be heading that way also on the 29th. We got drawn 2 years ago and seen 2 deer. One was a nice trophy we jumped up about 50 yards from us. He disappeared in seconds. The other was a small fork horn we let go. Could have easily shot him but getting him out would have been a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My brother got drawn there twice in 3 years back when we were kids. The first year him and my dad saw several bucks that were 150+ and one that would have probably gone 170+ but being 12 at the time couldn’t get a steady shot off of sticks at 300 yards. The next time they went they didn’t see a single deer and hardly any sign that was months old. This was about 12 years ago. I think a lot of success out there all depends on unit they put you in.

Good luck, hopefully y’all get a good unit! There are some good bucks out there.

Comment

Rocket15 are you staying at the lodge? I’m thinking it will probably be about 9-10 pm by the time we get there on the 29th.

Comment

I agree on it depending on which unit you get. I’m guessing a lot of bucks will still be up high.

Comment

Yes, last time we were the only ones at the lodge. The lodge has full kitchen with everything you need for cooking. I plan on eating better this time, last trip I brought sandwiches and junk food not knowing what to expect.

Comment

Well I was planning to leave town early Thursday morning hours but it looks like my son is going to have to go to school part of the day. Looks like we will be getting there around 10:00 or 11:00 ourselves. I didn’t want to make the drive in again at night.

Comment

Same here my oldest has a test that he needs to take before we leave. Probably get there about the same time as you.

Comment

How did the hunt go?

Comment

Updates?

Comment

Was a pretty tough hunt. Not a lot of deer seen by most of the others I talked to. We hunted the unit my son drew for an afternoon and first part of next morning and didn’t see a deer. I saw some in the distance on the adjoining unit that a kid shot a buck the first evening. We went back and asked if we could hunt that unit since those hunters left. The hunt manager said it was ok and we located several bucks that were about to bed down. We started the mile trek to intercept them and glassed up another buck on the way. My son decided to passed that buck since we had seen an older bigger buck in the other group. We made a really good stalk but were only able to get within 325 yards because of how he was bedded. My boys were carrying a 243 and a 300 SAUM. I told my youngest who was the first shooter to use the 300 and he wouldn’t feel the kick because of the adrenaline. We crawled as close as we could and he took the shot laying prone. The first shot hit a little low at the bedded buck and he jumped up and looked around. The second shot hit low again and the bucks took off. We followed them over the ridge and spotted them about 600 yards out feeding to a dry creek bed. We closed the distance to about 120 yards and had him shoot the 300 SAUM again(probably should have gone with the 243). All the shots were not easy, especially for a 12 year old and the three bucks took off for God knows where. We went back to find the first bedded buck and my son ended up dropping him in his bed at about 75 yards. We attempted another stalk for my oldest son on another mature buck but he decided he was gonna get out of Dodge. All in all it was a fun trip to bond and see some beautiful country. They both are ready to go back if drawn again.
                              Last edited by ross; 12-03-2018, 01:44 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Comment

Working...
                              X