Looking for an inexpensive elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an inexpensive elk hunt

While I know that no Elk hunt is inexpensive, I am looking for one next year that I can budget in. Does anyone know of any in Texas or New Mexico that are somewhat price friendly?
    I want to do a hunt where I have a guide. I would have at least two guys going and possibly 4 total.
    I would also be interested in Red Stag, Sitka, or maybe mule deer

Cmon guys shoot your knowledge this way!!!

anyone? A little help here?

Comment

Apply for out of state license in NM, CO, WY. Roll the dice and chase public access - you just won't know the territory very well. But it can still be a great adventure.

Comment

^^^^ this is what a buddy and I are doing next year.

Comment

You said inexpensive, but what is your budget? For a guaranteed tag in NM it will be private land. Add 2 on 1 guide hunt to that and I would think you could expect the lower range to be around $3500 and quickly going up from there.

Good luck.

Comment

I went to CO on OTC tags this year, outfitter provided a drop camp and pack in/out on horseback. $3000 to the outfitter, about $550 for an either sex elk tag, whatever you want to spend on food, gear, etc. Camp can hold 4 hunters, so $750 each, plus tags.

I don't know if that's cheap, but the outfitter was good, and it was a good hunt. I'd do it again.

You can pack in your own stuff, set up your own camp and save some money, but it's a whole lot more work. I think the drop camp was worth the money.
            Last edited by TXJon; 10-24-2010, 09:24 AM.

Comment

What are your expectations? How cheap>

Example: Of course I am a resident so my license is cheaper....

Cow elk hunt w/muzzleloader, hunted public land, stayed at a free public campground bordering the area, slept in sleeping bag on ground, ate grub that I had in coolers.

That is probably close to the extreme on cheap. But it was not comfortable and it was a cow tag. Very few people. I saw 3 bowhunters during the 4 days I hunted before putting a cow down.

John

Comment

Apply out of state for a DIY hunt. I have a buddy that guides in NM all the time and can point you in the right direction. If you dont get drawn then give me a ring and I can set you up on private land here in Texas but like the others said what is your budget?

Comment

Last couple times I went with two friends, 10 days self guided near Grand Masa, gas, food, tag, $1000.00 a little higher now with gas

Comment

Don't know about guided and cheap but public land around Chama NM or South Fork Colorado Has some good elk hunting.

Comment

Working...
                    X