Pheasant Hunting in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
    We are here. Got in around 10 AM. Shot a couple roosters today and 1 bobwhite. It's getting nasty, we are at old Chicago enjoying a meal and a brew. The Super 8 leaves a lot to be desired. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Oh shoot I thought y'all would probably be here tomorrow. Yeah it's getting pretty bad but tomorrow it's supposed to get pretty warm. Old Chicago ain't too bad, y'all are up town at Super 8. There's a few of those little motels that are pretty sketchy. I don't know if you've noticed but Liberal itself can be sketchy.

I've done my share of running around at the bars there. Got kicked out of most of em at some point or another. You'd think one strip club would be plenty for a fairly small town......Not so. They have two for good measure.LOL
    Last edited by okrattler; 01-16-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I've done my share of running around at the bars there. Got kicked out of most of em at some point or another. You'd think one strip club would be plenty for a fairly small town......Not so. They have two for good measure.LOL
      Is Kickshiker's still around?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        Is Kickshiker's still around?
        It is or was a Mexican bar at some point. They'd have bands and dances in there. I was in there twice I think but I couldn't really communicate very good in there.

I think it's probably been 20 years at least since Kickshiker's closed down. I remember my mom and my uncle used to go in there but I was just a little guy so I only ever knew about it from stories I heard later on. They had a lot of fun there. You probably met my uncle at some point if you played much pool. That's about all he ever did back then.
        Last edited by okrattler; 01-16-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I think it's probably been 20 years at least since Kickshiker's closed down. I remember my mom and my uncle used to go in there but I was just a little guy so I only ever knew about it from stories I heard later on. They had a lot of fun there.
          If I remember correctly, it opened back in 1976 or 1977 and back then, it was THE honky tonk in SW Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
            If I remember correctly, it opened back in 1976 or 1977 and back then, it was THE honky tonk in SW Kansas.
            It was around a long time. Then there was an old bar called The Roadrunner out in the middle of nowhere South of Hardesty, Oklahoma right on the Texas and Oklahoma border since it was a dry county in Texas. That was before my time and I'm not sure what years they were in business but that building is still there to this day.

Comment

Idk about public, but i did hunt with Flying W Outfitters in Plains KS couple years ago. Ours was Feb hunt and we killed limits each day. It was about 7 degrees with a 15 mph wind and snow on the ground. Dogs caught a few birds that refused to flush and we punted a few out of the snow drifts snd crop rows.

What i learned,
              Wear neck gators and a face shield. The wind is BRUTAL. Good socks that wick away moisture with waterproof boots. And make sure the moving parts on the gun are good and oiled. Mine froze up after we got snowed on and it got wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No snow on the ground right now but there's a layer of ice on everything. This is the type of weather I've seen freeze vehicle doors shut. It's rather frigid. Put a 15 mile per hour wind in the mix and it's enough to make your fingers feel like they got smacked with a hammer.

Hope you brought your warm clothes buddy. Tomorrow morning it's gonna be pretty fresh out there.

Comment

Tough weather on day 2 of our hunt but we made the most of our 3 days working through WIHA.

Comment

good luck tomorrow!

Comment

The middle picture looks familiar. I believe I may have stood in that same exact spot at some point.

Comment

The middle picture looks familiar. I believe I may have stood in that same exact spot at some point.
                        It was near the area you told me about. Parts of that little quarter section were really thick. We pulled a few birds out of that field and missed a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                          It was near the area you told me about. Parts of that little quarter section were really thick. We pulled a few birds out of that field and missed a lot more.

Oh man yeah it's ungodly thick in there. Where that tank and stuff is there was a buck bedded down in there when we walked it. I walked up there and it went busting out of there.

Did y'all end up limiting out on birds?

Comment

Oh man yeah it's ungodly thick in there. Where that tank and stuff is there was a buck bedded down in there when we walked it. I walked up there and it went busting out of there.

Did y'all end up limiting out on birds?
                            We didnt limit, shot a couple pheasants and a quail day 1. Skunked on ice day. 3 pheasants on the last day. If we could have hit half the roosters we saw, we would have limited. We flushed a TON of hens.

Comment

Yeah that ice was stupid wasn't it? It does that here at least once or twice a year and it sucks. I was hoping that cold weather would help y'all some at least but I'm glad y'all got some shot anyway on the nicer days.

Comment

Working...
                              X