Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black powder recommendations for an Elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a fan of the Remington ultra muzzle loader. Should be able to shoot 300 yards

Comment

Bump for more info. I am in the same boat

Comment

Check the regs for the state you plan to hunt. Some are very restrictive of muzzle-loader features.
        For example some states forbid scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
          It is for New Mexico. What is the longest range I can get out of a set up?

Get in touch with High Desert Outfitters in Las Cruces, NM. They will work a load up for you(grain by grain, weighed) and put the most accurate setup in your hands they can for your particular gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

50 cal/in line/209 primer/removable breech plug/blackhorn 209 powder..Brand; TC Encore/CVA are great easy to clean (cleaning is a big deal)Blackhorn 209 powder is easy clean...Compared to some.....

Pellets are really handy and easy load and shoot great..But burn dirty and shelf life is not great... And regular old BP is even harder to clean

I'm Encore Fan SS...50cal not sayin there best But been great to me

Comment

Thanks guys for all the information. This gives me a good starting point.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the information. This gives me a good starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                  Check the regs for the state you plan to hunt. Some are very restrictive of muzzle-loader features.
                  For example some states forbid scopes.
                  This.

In CO, no scopes, no pelletized powder, no sabots. Buy something that has sights in case you go to a state that makes you remove your scope.

John

Comment

Another vote for a stainless CVA optima with BH209. Don't forget the BH209 breech plug.

Comment

Cva is a great product

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                        It is for New Mexico. What is the longest range I can get out of a set up?
                        I know a guy who's got a rifle built by horizon that kills elk yearly at near 400 yard ranges

Hes not shooting store bought bullets but that rifle is the most accurate ML I've seen

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a CVA Wolf last year for a CO elk hunt, primarily based on the fact that if was short, light, and could meet regulations. I run a BH209 breech plug with Blackhorn powder and shoot 300 gr Thor bullets.

I put an Eabco peep rig sight on it with a Leupold 2-7 scope in QR rings, so I can hunt just about anywhere by taking it on and off.

The big thing you have to watch for at longer ranges is the velocity dropping off to the point where the bullet won’t open. Not sure how guys are pushing an elk suitable bullet out to 400 yards with anything but smokeless powder.

Yeah they used to do it with bison, but it was basically a firing squad and they might hit half a dozen before they killed one.

Comment

Working...
                          X