Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 12-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Revelation
Four Point

Default Best Crossbow ?

What do you guys recommend for a good quality crossbow ??
I fully understand you get what you pay for but Iím sure many of you have gone through the process of buying and and using different bows.
What would suggest for best bow yet affordable ?
Definitely donít want junk and then have to sell and buy again

Thanks !!!
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
NWernig
Four Point

Hunt In: Here and there

Check out the CenterPoint Amped 415. It's a reasonably priced crossbow that outperforms a lot of the really high end/ expensive ones- according to the reviews and articles I have read. It's one that I want to buy here soon
NWernig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
m10
Four Point

Hunt In: East, South, hill country

My wife shoots the Horton reverse limbs. Nice but very expensive. I have a ten point that I paid for 599 for my son to use. It shoots great. I’ve used it and like it.
m10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Ten point makes a great crossbow, they arenít cheap but they are well made and perform flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Ten Point is releasing a new one in the Wicked Ridge line. Under 6 lb., reverse limbs, 370 FPS. Less than $700. Just saw an ad today. Tomorrow I wonít remember it.....
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Not an expert by any means but I played with quite a few and bought a Mission Sub One and don’t regret it at all
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Louis
Ten Point

Get a center point sniper 370. Great crossbow for under $300. Daughter and grandson both have one and they love them. Good quality crossbows that perform as good as the higher end ones but won't break the bank or let you down
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

I am new to crossbow and researched as I always overdo. I ended up with a 10 Point. It is very comfortable for me at 5'10". The stock length needs to be considered. Most felt too short. Love my Titan Extreme but it is 7 + lbs and front heavy so long walks are not pleasant. I put a sling but that is not much use if I want to make a quick shot. I bought "like new" with some extras. Otherwise I might have gone CenterPoint. Heard a lot of good about them. If used, be sure string and cable is fresh. I do use the sling with the arm wrap position to do some major stabilizing. The Ten Point scope seems very good quality which is also very important. Still learning. I also would put comfort as a priority, not just speed and power (and cost? some low cost bows are very acceptable I hear?). My slightly older model speed is only 315 optimum. Very little drop (1/2" TO 1" for an added 10 yards from 20 yard zero point) so very flat flight. It is fairly quiet for a crossbow. I trust accuracy 100%. One review on a paricular rig. Enjoy!
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

Got my wife a PSE Fang 350 on clearance from Academy for 199. It’s fast, quiet and very accurate. So far so good.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 02:10 AM   #10
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Excalibur has been a good one for me.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 02:12 AM   #11
Blitz
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Excalibur has been a good one for me.
This is what I have. Matrix 380
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
breadman
Ten Point

Excalibur all the way I have the matrix 380 and a new compact 308 there great bows.
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 05:43 AM   #13
T-roy66
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Centerpoint Sniper 370. Best bow for the money
T-roy66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #14
Wayspr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

I've had 2 TenPoints, both were great in every way. Plenty of really good bows out there now days. If I were buying again, my list of brands would be short - TenPoint, Excalibur and Ravin
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayspr View Post
I've had 2 TenPoints, both were great in every way. Plenty of really good bows out there now days. If I were buying again, my list of brands would be short - TenPoint, Excalibur and Ravin
I like your comment and list...agree haven't had RAVIN but its on my top 3 list...

and if you in box bind ; width cocked and uncocked become a Major Factor unless you got a really big blind..

Last edited by cva34; 12-24-2019 at 08:50 AM.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I bought a cheap Barnett, it was less than $300, it groups great out to 50 yards, have not shot it further than that
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #17
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

I’ve got a ten point stealth that I’ve had for 4 years and never had a problem with it, shoots great and stupid fast.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Yamahamma
Four Point

Hunt In: A little in Montgomery Co, A little in Webb Co.

Bear Saga- Great company. Great founder. Great bow(s). The Saga is advertised at 405 FPS but it's actually closer to 395, which is still pretty swift.
Yamahamma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #19
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Excalibur. Lifetime warranty. Recurve so you can change your own string and decock without firing a bolt. I have the matrix 330.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Get a center point sniper 370. Great crossbow for under $300. Daughter and grandson both have one and they love them. Good quality crossbows that perform as good as the higher end ones but won't break the bank or let you down

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

Ten point makes some great crossbows. They also make wicked ridge. We've used wicked ridge for several years, no complaints. Good crossbows without quite as high of price tag.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

We have 3 crossbows my wife and son shoot. Two centerpoint sniper 370's and a wicked ridge warrior g3. The snipers are super fast and very deadly. They have a long heavy trigger pull but still shoot very accurately. The wicked ridge isn't nearly as fast for double the price but does have a way better trigger. My wife and son will shoot the snipers over the wicked ridge all day. You can't go wrong with the sniper 370 for around $250. Best crossbow for the money hands down!
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
merlin
Eight Point

I bought a centerpoint sniper and shot very good at the range, but missed several animals. The next year I bought a Mission Sub 1 and it is a shooter. Have killed many hogs and a coyote with it. I think Hogslayer hit it on the head with the trigger on the centerpoint.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #24
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I bought a centerpoint sniper and shot very good at the range, but missed several animals. The next year I bought a Mission Sub 1 and it is a shooter. Have killed many hogs and a coyote with it. I think Hogslayer hit it on the head with the trigger on the centerpoint.
Not sure I'd blame the misses on the crossbow.

My boys shoot a Bear Torrix FFL and it does have a long trigger pull but it's really accurate, even with kids shooting it.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
KX500
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

Lot's of great crossbows out there - and they get better every year.

I also really like Wicked Ridge crossbows from Ten Point. These seem like a really good way to get a Ten Point crossbow at an 'economy' price. I hunt with an Invader and have no real complaints with it. Great trigger. It has performed flawlessly in the 3 years I've hunted with it and the 6 deer it has accounted for.

One thing, as consumers, we each have to decide on is - Chinese products.

I'm pretty sure that all the lower price crossbows are coming from China. My first crossbow was an inexpensive PSE, that I'm sure was made in China. Nothing really wrong with it, but when I was able to start hunting a lot with a crossbow I realized it was worth it to me, to get something a lot better (hence the Invader). No regret with that choice.

I do feel like a good trigger allows me to shoot better & quicker. I'll pay more for a good trigger and I sure don't want a bow that is heavier, wider or louder than average either.

Bowhunting is my favorite hobby so it isn't hard to justify spending a little more for a bow/brand that I have complete confidence in. I'm sure I'll replace the Invader some day. I'm sure I'll shop the Chinese crossbows, but wouldn't be a bit surprised to end up with a newer Wicked Ridge anyway.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #26
KX500
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

I might add, that when I do shop for a new bow, limb width will be a factor too. I hunted out of blinds more this year than ever and I did kind of wish for a more narrow bow, while my Invader is probably average in width.

Excalibur certainly makes good stuff, but they pretty much can't offer a recurve crossbow that'll be as narrow as a compound, if that matters to you.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top