No announcement yet.

Nextdoor App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on it, unfortunately. In fact, I have 2 accounts; one for work and one for my personal use in my own neighborhood. The one for personal use is bad enough with all the whining that goes on there. But, I keep it because it can be useful in some instances. The one for work just wears me out. I'm a LEO and due to my particular position on the department I do quite a bit of community relations stuff as well as assisting neighborhoods with quality of life issues and any crime trends that arise. People can message me directly as their neighborhood police officer. I enjoy my position alot. However, when it comes to Nextdoor.com it is a pain. You absolutely would not believe some of the messages I've gotten. When it comes to criminal activity, there is SOOO much false information that circulates on that website. It really is ridiculous. I find myself putting out fires from rumor mill stuff all the time. Bad information starts to circulate. Then, when the bad information blows up into something even more ridiculous people start reaching out to me (sometimes) I'm usually able to let folks know that the sky is not falling and that the criminal activity, if any, was a far cry from the rumors that are flying around on there getting everybody in a panic. It can be a nightmare with folks calling city council people, the police chief, the news and anyone else they can think of to complain to all based on what started as an untrue rumor in the first place and then only got worse.

I urge each of you that use Nextdoor.com to reach out to your police department for the truth when you start hearing of crimes in your neighborhood. Yes, EVERY neighborhood will, sooner or later, have a crime or two happen. But it's been my experience that folks blow it way out of proportion. People get very dramatic about the smallest instance of something bad or undesirable happening.

Comment

One early saturday morning someone posted an urgent alert that someone had let their dog **** on a newspaper. At the time an urgent alert would sound an annoying alarm for those using the nextdoor app.

This was my reply

Bob Federici from Countryside Estates thanked you for your reply:

“Ok folks stand down – this was only a DRILL! And a good one too because you never know when the next actual NEXTDOOR URGENT ALERT might come along from your neighborhood comrades.
      -----------------------------
      Our family received the NEXTDOOR EMERGENCY ACTION ALERT at 8:28am this morning. I was half asleep and at first I thought this was just another neighbor rambling about a rogue fox wandering about the neighborhood, but I was quickly shaken awake by the realization this is exactly what my family had been prepping for all of these years! I grabbed the bedside air horn and sounded off 6 short bursts to alert the household of the pending emergency. Our two oldest girls were already awake and immediately began to move the heavy bookcases hiding our loadout room. Our 8 year old son jumped out of bed and almost hit the ceiling before beginning to secure all the perimeter windows and doors. All was going to plan but our 5 year old Hannah started complaining that I have yet to upgrade her 20 gauge Cobray/SWD Streetsweeper to a promised AA-12… There was little time to argue and I promised to follow up if we survived this threatening situation. At first she flashed a grimacing scowl that I thought only teenagers were capable of, but then gestured a silent OK sign and crawled to her position overlooking the back yard. I was somewhat relieved that I would be focused on the imminent outside threat instead of inside squabbling. The wife instantly sprang into action distributing ammunition boxes to key positions in the household and then making sure there was sufficient ice in the strategically placed Yeti beer coolers. By 8:43am everyone had assumed their position and reported READY. I myself was delayed to my rooftop position because my personal gun safe in the garage was barricaded by two weeks of cardboard boxes I had failed to place in the recycle bin and the ladder to access the roof was tangled with multiple bicycles. Nevertheless me and my trusty Barrett 821A 50mm rifle were at the ready by 8:47am. I quickly spotted a newspaper on my driveway, just inches away from the street. “God help the next soul that attempts to urinate on that newspaper”, I thought to myself. I then wondered, “Why is there a newspaper there? I don’t subscribe to any ****newspapers!” I didn’t have much time to think as two dog-walking perpetrators approached from different bearings. “This is it!” I sighted in target #1, warming the trigger with my finger… “This isn’t right… Safety off first, then trigger” ran through my mind. I eased off the trigger and began to warm the safety with the same caress of scratching a cat’s chin. The dog-walking threats approached and then unexpectantly passed, paying no attention to my driveway newspaper and continued walking along past my driveway,unware they were the next possible casualties in the newspaper urination terror striking our neighborhood.
      Some time passed after the dog-walking targets passed. I think it was around 9am that I ordered a stand down and requested backup for a rations resupply run to Krispy Kreme. Coffee was running low and sugary donuts would prove to be a troop moral booster.
      All in all, this was a very successful drill. While the wife resupplied the family with dark coffee and hot donuts, I cleaned and stowed the very firearms that protect our freedom from dogs that urinate on our newspapers. But we stand at the ready, knowing the next NEXTDOOR URGENCY ALERT may not be a drill.

God Bless America

please excuse brevity and dictation errors

Comment

I’m on it. Good info and better entertainment. It’s how I’ve found some good contractors.

Comment

Sign of the times and technology at your finger tips.

Comment

Just reminded me to update to the new neighborhood

Always get a chuckle out of that app

Comment

Someone asked what to do for a neighbors non stop barking dog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried to get on it the other day and learned I had been banned.

Comment

Ones from this week on ours. I don’t participate, just watch and shake my head.
                  It’s free entertainment

Comment

We have horses and my neighbor across the street posted this.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      Someone asked what to do for a neighbors non stop barking dog.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
                      Was scrolling through the app for my daily chuckle and saw your reply on there lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                        I tried to get on it the other day and learned I had been banned.
                        You get some real winners in the creek. I changed my name and have been trolling the deer lovers on mine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          Was scrolling through the app for my daily chuckle and saw your reply on there lol
                          Ha. It's not me, just saw it and thought it was funny. I have my real name on the account so I stay out of the drama.

Comment

This is my favorite on ours so far. [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                              I hardly read it anymore but here's an old post I saved. It took all I had to not respond.

[emoji24]

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                                This is my favorite on ours so far. [emoji2359]

If they are considered wait staff on payroll, they are making $2.13 an hour... without tips.

Comment

Working...
                                X