X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You like that huh, Ellis!!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

WoW ! if that is true it will be a Game Changer, especially for the Human Diseases mentioned. That will be a Historic Breakthrough and he deserves more than a Nobel Prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
        You like that huh, Ellis!!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
        You betcha! Would love for this to be accurate; and would be a landmark accomplishment for the institution.

Comment

Liked the part where he says it mulrplies in capative deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            I cant believe there is not already a thread about this unless I missed it. CWD has been found to NOT be caused by a prion but instead a bacteria
            I posted a link on another thread here earlier today. I probably should’ve done like you and started a new one. LOL

This is exciting news regardless.

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            And this article from 2011. Again referring the bacteria that causes the disease. Looks like maybe people don’t want it to be curable. Easier to control a narrative with promises of doomsday.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/d...ions-cause-cwd
            You that right.

I’d still be ok with getting rid of breeding operations though.
            Last edited by Etxbuckman; 02-17-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              And this article from 2011. Again referring the bacteria that causes the disease. Looks like maybe people don’t want it to be curable. Easier to control a narrative with promises of doomsday.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/d...ions-cause-cwd
              What possible incentive could state agencies and landowners have to NOT want this **** thing to be a curable condition!?!!?!?!

I pray this is true. That it is curable. That his findings can be repeated.

Comment

Very very very suspect

Comment

Hope this turns out to be and they find a cure!

Comment

I had to listen to it again to digest all the claims that were made. Here is a list:

1. We have discovered the real cause of CWD
                    2. Dr. Frank Bastian and his lab at Louisiana State University has discovered that CWD is actually caused by a previously unknown bacteria caused spiroplasma, and that prions are simply a byproduct of the bacterial infection.
                    3. Within possibly a year, Dr. Bastian will develop a diagnostic hunter test kit that will permit hunters who have harvested a deer to test it for infection in the field.
                    4. By the end of the 2nd year, Dr. Bastian plans to develop an injectable vaccine that's primarily for captive deer and elk.
                    5. In the 3rd year, Dr. Bastian will design an oral or nasal vaccine to be administered to wild deer and elk.
                    6. Dr. Bastion has discovered this bacterium in association with similar neurological diseases in humans, especially Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), and he believes there is a linkage with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).
                    7. Dr. Bastion's discoveries will open the door to pursuing cures for the above diseases and possibly other neuro-degenerative human diseases.
                    8. Dr. Bastion has been able to isolate this disease from human-infected patients with CJD. He has isolated it from sheep (Scrapie). He has isolated it from CWD-infected deer. He can grow them in culture in a lab. It's the same spiroplasma bacteria and he has cross-infected sheep and deer with that lab-grown bacterium.
                    9. "Top levels of government" have asked for a 10-year plan from Dr. Bastion.

Summary of the plan:

1. We will be able to protect humans from potential lethal effects of CWD in 12 to 18 months with a hunter test kit.
                    2. We will be able to implement vaccines toward eradicating CWD in 2 to 3 years.
                    3. We will test a cure for Scrapie in sheep, Mad Cow disease and TSE's in wildlife in 5 years.
                    4. We will develop and test a cure for human CJD in 5 to 6 years.
                    5. We will test cures for Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and ALS in 6 to 7 years.
                    6. We will implement antibiotic cures for human TSE's in 8 to 10 years.

The final claim is that Dr. Bastion is going to win a Nobel Prize for this.

Comment

Here is the potential hero -

Dr. Frank O Bastian

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles/fbastian

Dr. Bastian’s research centers around a lifetime work searching for the causal agent of the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE). He has shown that a wall-less bacterium, spiroplasma, is consistently associated with the TSEs. Recently at LSU Agricultural Center, he and collaborators in the Dept. of Veterinary Science have developed a Ruminant Model of TSE that will be used to study pathogenic mechanisms involved in the spiroplasmosis models. In collaboration with Dr. Thune, a genomic study will be conducted on the putative organism, which should dramatically help understand the role of spiroplasma in TSE.

Comment

This is a game changer! To hell with the CWD aspect. This is (potentially) going to put a lot of memory care “nursing” facilities out of business and change countless lives of the elderly for the better (and lower the societal costs of caring for them, a huge Medicare burden).

Comment

My favorite paragraph in the 2011 article.

“There are very few individuals studying the cause of TSEs like chronic wasting disease, and what happens is that those who are decide what’s behind these diseases, and then they put that out to the media and write it in textbooks,” explained Dr. Laura Manuelidis, a professor and researcher of neuropathology at Yale Medical School. “Then what happens is that one theory gets written in stone, which hampers new research.”

The earth is the center of the universe, right?

Comment

I certainly hope his findings are correct. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                              I certainly hope his findings are correct. I guess we just have to wait and see.
                              X2! Lord willing he is correct and we can see some of these horrible diseases cured.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                                Hopefully this will prove to be true. However, the one thing about Dr. Bastian’s research is that no one has been able to replicate it. If it cannot be replicated by other researchers, then the research is suspect.
                                "Officials say other theories regarding the disease have not been thoroughly researched."

I hope it is true. But as you said, lots more research needs to be done.

OP, I think RMEF had a link to this research a few months back as well. Might check their site?

Comment

Working...
                                X