Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County
Default Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

I was wondering what everyone does. I hear some guys are 50/50 as to Ice and drain vs keep the meat dry in bags and ice them down.

Seems some say bacteria grows well in the water and such and soaking the meat is like soaking a steak in water before you cook it. We put on ice but leave drains open just wondering what yall think about putting in bags to keep from to much water. Any difference?

I tried searching but the search option isnt working for me but mostly just wondering.

Scott
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

If you can.....cool and dry is the best. Nothing better than hanging in a walk in cooler.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
ccallarman
Four Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Very good question.. will be tuned in to hear everyone's input on this one. I have always mixed the meat in with the ice (rather than just laying on top) and drained ice daily (this could be anywhere from 1-3 times per day) at the lease until we got home and brought the meat to be processed. Just my .02
ccallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
If you can.....cool and dry is the best. Nothing better than hanging in a walk in cooler.
X2, if I have to put one in a Ice chest with Ice, I will use spacers at the bottom to keep the meat from soaking in water and I will open the drain plug a little to let the water leak out.
gonehuntin68 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
CrossTimbers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Cool and dry. I'm a big fan of dry aging, the more moisture you can let escape, the more the flavors can mature.
CrossTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
This, check out how heavy aged beef is done. Not quiet the same, but dry and cool.

If I am not mistaken, heavy aged beef is hung at 42 degrees for 2 maybe 3 weeks. Lots of variance on post by people in the know.

Last edited by Mudslinger; 10-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

I prefer the walk-in cooler, but if it isn't available cooler it is with ice
PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
jay07ag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina & Gonzales Counties, TX; SW Montana

I prefer hanging in Walk-in cooler as well.
jay07ag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Hoytbowhunter
Ten Point

I Leave it in the cooler 5 to 10 days on ice with the drain plug partly open, to drain blood and add fresh ice as needed.
Hoytbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
X2, if I have to put one in a Ice chest with Ice, I will use spacers at the bottom to keep the meat from soaking in water and I will open the drain plug a little to let the water leak out.
Ditto for me if I dont have access to a walk in.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
No matter what anyone says, red meat should never be wet. A brine for fowl is OK, but beef and venison should always be dry aged. I've even had a lot of success in dry aging ducks. You'll get plenty of guys on here who disagree, but that's OK....the world needs wrong people too.

Curt, I need more info on the ducks please.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #13
AfricaninTexas
Six Point

Hunt In: Austin Co./ Shackleford Co.

Quote:

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AfricaninTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I soak mine. Wait wait for it. In cider
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Following, very interested in dry aging venison and what contraptions people have made who don’t have access to a walk in cooler.

I have read it needs to be below 40 degrees F and needs good airflow around the whole meat part/quarter. I have also seen where people have added UVC units in their dedicated aging refrigerators.

Listened to a radio interview of an author who wrote a book ‘Buck, Buck, Moose’ or something like that. Just haven’t taken the time to research further, but the interview was intriguing.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
Evenin'only
Eight Point

Hunt In: Middle Concho

If a cooler is available hang dry if not ice and let drain. Done them both and am not dead

Evenin'only is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #17
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I always ice mine down and let it drain, to me it gets most of the blood out. I have been doing it your years and always have good meat. But if you hang it keep it around 39 degrees.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

1. pack with ice in large ice chest
2. liberally salt the top
3. drain water and add ice daily for up to a week
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
blatallic
Nubbin' Buck

I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.
blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #20
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

On ice with the plug out to let the water drain. 5to 7 days

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #21
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatallic View Post
I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.
this is what I do more or less, but I also add vinegar and salt. turns out great!!
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #22
catslayer
Pope & Young

On ice and drain open... Unless walk in available, then that is best thing going.

Or if your air temp is CONSISTENTLY less than 40... Then you can hang in the air, though cheese cloth would be preferable to cover. But this is Texas and that almost never happens.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #23
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Following, very interested in dry aging venison and what contraptions people have made who donít have access to a walk in cooler.

I have read it needs to be below 40 degrees F and needs good airflow around the whole meat part/quarter. I have also seen where people have added UVC units in their dedicated aging refrigerators.

Listened to a radio interview of an author who wrote a book ĎBuck, Buck, Mooseí or something like that. Just havenít taken the time to research further, but the interview was intriguing.
That guy just released his second book ... Pheasant quail cottontail. He was on hunting dog podcast

Interesting guy
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #24
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

Cooler with 2 frozen gallons of water. Did this for a week last year and turned out great. Swapped the gallons out as needed, it was cold out so it didn't take much.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #25
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Quote:
Agree totally. Never understood why people have to soak there meat in ice and water. It takes all the flavor out. Next time you go buy a ribeye steak soak it like you do your deer meat and see what it taste like. Bet you don't like it. I process my own meat but I can't bet pretty much no prossesor soaks your meat either. They keep it cold till time to take care of it.
bownut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #26
Geoff995
Six Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Exactly!
Geoff995 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #27
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Quote:
Bingo. I have a wire rack that fits all my coolers that sits at the bottom. All my quartered meat goes in and gets iced down. Drain plug is cracked and I add ice as needed for about 5 -7 days, I've even had it up to 10 days. Never a complaint on anything tasting "gamey". I do it this way since I no longer have access to a walk in
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
Bish
Ten Point

I have keep my deer in ice chest filled with ice and plug open for 3 days for the past 30yrs, gets almost all the blood out of meat and always taste great.

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #29
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Lay it on the ice. Not in ice water. Thats nasty gray waterlogged **** meat. Yuck.

J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #30
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Iíd never trust anyone that says let them soak
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #31
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

99% of hunters do the ice cooler method. Been working great for the last 40 years with me.

Democrats think Republicans are wrong too!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #32
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth89 View Post
Curt, I need more info on the ducks please.
Pretty simple. I usually breast mine out, but sometimes I leave them whole for a Perlot I make. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ghlight=Perlot You're welcome.

Anyhow. I just take the whole ducks or the breast and lay them on paper plates with a napkin liner in the garage fridge. I let them sit in the fridge for 5-7 days uncovered. Pretty simple.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #33
bownut
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

99%. Wow. Didn't know it was that high. That explains why so many nonhunters think deer meat is nasty to eat. They must have had some soaked meat.
bownut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #34
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Would some kind of heavy duty bag for each 1/4 to keep out of water work keeping it dry like a trash bag or something? May try that this year. A rack to keep out of water and bag 1/4s with ice on top and drain out.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #35
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
99%. Wow. Didn't know it was that high. That explains why so many nonhunters think deer meat is nasty to eat. They must have had some soaked meat.
68.4% of all stats are made up anyhow.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #36
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
Or the cook didnt know what he was doing I've never had a complaint and feed plenty of first timer venison / feral hog eaters. ymmv
Old 10-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #37
MetalMan2004
Six Point

I guess my question is how does everyone seem to have such easy access to a walk-in cooler??? Or are the walk-in folks mostly using a processor?

I’ve done the ice in the cooler with the drain open thing just because I don’t have an option at the house and I’m not giving my deer to a processor.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #38
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
That guy just released his second book ... Pheasant quail cottontail. He was on hunting dog podcast

Interesting guy
Thatís Hank Shaw, he has quite a few books. His website also has some great info and recipes

https://honest-food.net
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #39
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
68.4% of all stats are made up anyhow.
Thought it was over 70%
Old 10-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #40
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Doooooooo Noooooooot soak in water, unless your on your way to being a vegan. When you butcher beef or buy it from the store, how many times is it, or do you soak in water. My guess would be none, and if it's not, there's no help for ya. Red meat ( wild pork also) should not be soaked, unless your trying to make tofu( really that's all your doing, washing all the nutrients out of it, and making a bland tasting mess, I would not even feed a dog. And yes I have eaten it, and know what iam talking about. Then again if your trying to make tofu ,don't use meat to begin with. If it's the wild game taste your afraid of, the meat wasn't taken care of properly and your trying to hide it. And bacteria does breed in water, weather it's cold or not. Seriously don't soak such good meat in water. A lot may disagree with this but we have tried differant tests over years and found aging wild game really does nothing. There is not enough fatty connective tissue to brake down. 24 hours and it's broken down ( aged) as far it's it going to. Get the hide off, guts out , better yet use gutless method while still in the field. And get the meat cooled down ASAP, AND KEEP IT DRY. Aging for longer periods of time just make for more waste of the dried out portion you have to trim off. Carry a cooler in your truck with frozen milk jugs, when you kill one get it broken down, keep it clean, keep it dry. We place in game bags, and get the cut up, ( 1/4 's or even smaller boned out meat cool quicker) meat in the "dry" but cold cooler. And when you get back to camp, place in a freezer, or if you feel aging helps, hang in a walk in.( we have sold ours,replaced with a chest freezer) Meat issssssss soooooooo much better, still red, still bleeds, like real meat should. Not a bleached out slimly piece of who knows what. Don't mean to come across as a " Richard" head. But it disgusting.

Last edited by critter69; 10-10-2018 at 09:02 PM.
critter69 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #41
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Would some kind of heavy duty bag for each 1/4 to keep out of water work keeping it dry like a trash bag or something? May try that this year. A rack to keep out of water and bag 1/4s with ice on top and drain out.
Just use frozen milk jugs,( with the lids on) keeps meat cold, dry, and you just replace them as they thaw with fresh frozen ones. Meat is still what meat is supposed to be this way.
critter69 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #42
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

I don’t have the cash flow for a walk in cooler, so I use a cooler with drain unplugged in early season. I just make sure the meat isn’t getting soaked, as mentioned above.

Closer to November and during rifle season I can usually leave them hanging in the barn for a day or so. Issue I’ve had doing that is trying to hack pieces off of a meat sickle if it gets cold.

I usually get it put up in 2-3 days, either way.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #43
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Doooooooo Noooooooot soak in water, unless your on your way to being a vegan. When you butcher beef or buy it from the store, how many times is it, or do you soak in water. My guess would be none, and if it's not, there's no help for ya. Red meat ( wild pork also) should not be soaked, unless your trying to make tofu( really that's all your doing, washing all the nutrients out of it, and making a bland tasting mess, I would not even feed a dog. And yes I have eaten it, and know what iam talking about. Then again if your trying to make tofu ,don't use meat to begin with. If it's the wild game taste your afraid of, the meat wasn't taken care of properly and your trying to hide it. And bacteria does breed in water, weather it's cold or not. Seriously don't soak such good meat in water. A lot may disagree with this but we have tried differant tests over years and found aging wild game really does nothing. There is not enough fatty connective tissue to brake down. 24 hours and it's broken down ( aged) as far it's it going to. Get the hide off, guts out , better yet use gutless method while still in the field. And get the meat cooled down ASAP, AND KEEP IT DRY. Aging for longer periods of time just make for more waste of the dried out portion you have to trim off. Carry a cooler in your truck with frozen milk jugs, when you kill one get it broken down, keep it clean, keep it dry. We place in game bags, and get the cut up, ( 1/4 's or even smaller boned out meat cool quicker) meat in the "dry" but cold cooler. And when you get back to camp, place in a freezer, or if you feel aging helps, hang in a walk in.( we have sold ours,replaced with a chest freezer) Meat issssssss soooooooo much better, still red, still bleeds, like real meat should. Not a bleached out slimly piece of who knows what. Don't mean to come across as a " Richard" head. But it disgusting.
Lmfao!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #44
xman59
Pope & Young

when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,

Iím betting itís pretty safe to say the majority of an animal shot through the lungs/heart with a bow/rifle are pretty much bled out by the time they are hanging and gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #46
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Good job Scott, start the great ice/no ice debate! I’ve put meat in cooler, load it with ice to the top and open drain. Meat doesn’t soak in water, add ice as nessary. I wouldn’t mind a walk in cooler at camp, just saying!
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #47
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatallic View Post
Ditto here. I do not have access to a walk in cooler. Now if the weather is cold enough I will skin it and hang it in a tree until time head home Normally I do as stated above. I have done many a deer this way over several decades.
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #48
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Frozen 2 liter bottles and 16oz water bottles works awesome

I keep a bunch in my outside freezer and have a good stick pile at a ranch out west I hunt
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #49
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Iím betting itís pretty safe to say the majority of an animal shot through the lungs/heart with a bow/rifle are pretty much bled out by the time they are hanging and gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
you would be surprised how much is not drained!,,,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #50
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Bottom line there is more than one way to skin a cat. So just get it cooled down ASAP and keep it cold until its time to process.
BolilloLoco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top