Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
Lynda
Ten Point

Hunt In: hope...
Default Deer processing: I have questions, gosh darnit

Hey gang,

It's been a looong time since I've been on TBH. And now I can call myself a real bowhunter. I'll post about that separately... Eventually...

So, my buck is gutted, skinned, and chopped into quarters, on ice. Tenderloins and backstrap removed. I've been reading about getting it processed and how some processors prefer to have the skin on, whole, and other variables.

What are my options in the Houston area, given the work already done?

(I'm in Canyon Lake right now... Earl Bateman prepped my deer, and I'm debating on leaving it with a processor here to pick up at a later date, or taking it home to Houston).

Thanks! 😁
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Just my opinion, considering the stage you are at, finish it up yourself. Freezer paper or vacuum sealer, tenderloins whole, slice the strap, keep front shoulders whole (BBQ whole), separate the hams into their own muscle sections and slice the larger (steak), qube/grind the smaller (stew/burger).

Check out some vids on Youtube, best of all you have your deer, not someone else's gut-shot/back of truck for 2 days meat.

Good luck.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Never met a processor yet that did not prefer a deer already on ice and quartered.
Finding a good processor in your area should not be a problem.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Lynda
Ten Point

Razorback, THAT is an excellent suggestion. It was on my mind... Thinking it can't be too hard. Have sharp knives, will slice.

Plus... I want to feel like I actually did some of the work besides loosing the arrow.

Thank you!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
Lynda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Never met a processor yet that did not prefer a deer already on ice and quartered.
Finding a good processor in your area should not be a problem.
Good to know for next time. Thank you. It seems I've got the bug again. 😉
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Just my opinion, considering the stage you are at, finish it up yourself. Freezer paper or vacuum sealer, tenderloins whole, slice the strap, keep front shoulders whole (BBQ whole), separate the hams into their own muscle sections and slice the larger (steak), qube/grind the smaller (stew/burger).

Check out some vids on Youtube, best of all you have your deer, not someone else's gut-shot/back of truck for 2 days meat.

Good luck.
And Im afraid "getting someone else's meat" happens a lot..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

No processor will be mad that you have your deer is skinned and quartered. They will be glad you do. I don't recommend you doing it yourself if you have never done it before. At least find someone willing to help you that is experienced in do it yourself processing. At the end of the day you want delicious table fare, not something that tastes like boot leather. I think you should take it and have it made into sausage, jerky, steaks, ground meat, and whatever else you wish, and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but it takes time, and experience to do it right.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-10-2018 at 07:09 AM.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Call Dennis at D and C Processing in New Caney. You will not get someone else's meat ever! It will be the best venison you ever ate.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

When I did my first one I had never done it before…..

It is really pretty easy. There are many youtube videos on how to cut it up. Basically just separate the muscles on the hindquarters into roasts and cut into steaks, or freeze whole so you can decide later what to do with it. I freeze the roasts whole because a lot of times I will slice thin for jerky. I just cut the meat off the bone on the front shoulders in no particular way, it all gets ground up. Back straps I will either freeze whole or cut in half to freeze, depends on size of animal.

You will need a grinder to grind all the scraps for burger or sausage. You can buy one for what it will cost to have one deer processed. It takes maybe an hour to do one after you have done a couple. I just don't like paying someone else to do something as easy as this. For me it has nothing to do with getting my own meat back like a lot of people will say.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
JudoLeyba
Four Point

Hunt In: Wimberley, Refugio, New Mexico

If you’re looking for a processor in the Canyon Lake area, you may want to consider Granzins. They do a great job! I really like their dry sausage, and buck sticks.
JudoLeyba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

A processor only cares if it is deboned as it might be more difficult to get specific cuts. Invest in a grinder. I do all of my own deer as I like to make sausages, sticks and different types of cuts to mask the gamey taste of a whitetail. Most others I take completely quartered in a ice chest to a locker to have done.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
JAB 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County Texas

P.m. sent
JAB 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Yep myself also. There is a first time for everything. I have never paid anyone to process a deer for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
When I did my first one I had never done it before…..

It is really pretty easy. There are many youtube videos on how to cut it up. Basically just separate the muscles on the hindquarters into roasts and cut into steaks, or freeze whole so you can decide later what to do with it. I freeze the roasts whole because a lot of times I will slice thin for jerky. I just cut the meat off the bone on the front shoulders in no particular way, it all gets ground up. Back straps I will either freeze whole or cut in half to freeze, depends on size of animal.

You will need a grinder to grind all the scraps for burger or sausage. You can buy one for what it will cost to have one deer processed. It takes maybe an hour to do one after you have done a couple. I just don't like paying someone else to do something as easy as this. For me it has nothing to do with getting my own meat back like a lot of people will say.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Katch66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

Some processors actually prefer the deer to not be quartered.

Reason why is some people don't know how to quarter a deer and keep it clean. Busted bladder, gut shot not washed off, and the main reason is hair. I've seen a processor refuse to process and turn away a quartered deer (not mine) that was absolutely covered in hair and dirt.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:

Good luck.
This would be my suggestion! You can get everything you need for less than you will pay to process 1 deer. You will have no doubts that you get YOUR deer back.
It can be a little overwhelming at first but there is tons of info out there to guide you!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #16
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
Hey gang,

It's been a looong time since I've been on TBH. And now I can call myself a real bowhunter. I'll post about that separately... Eventually...

So, my buck is gutted, skinned, and chopped into quarters, on ice. Tenderloins and backstrap removed. I've been reading about getting it processed and how some processors prefer to have the skin on, whole, and other variables.

What are my options in the Houston area, given the work already done?

(I'm in Canyon Lake right now... Earl Bateman prepped my deer, and I'm debating on leaving it with a processor here to pick up at a later date, or taking it home to Houston).

Thanks! 😁
There's a great episode of Meat Eater on Netflix where Rinella breaks down a couple deer. Even shows how to separate the hams into the different muscle groups, "roasts". Very informative
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

I absolutely know processors who have a stated policy of not accepting quartered animals so they can age it properly and not deal with or have responsibility for the hack jobs that show up covered in dirt and/or hair.
Granzins ftw.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #18
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

I am with the "Go ahead and finish it yourself" crew. YouTube would be a great resource to videos on how to process your deer.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
TxBowHntr
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

B and W Meat Market in N. Houston is great! Some of the best sausage I have had. Really like the Spicy Smoked. Plus they are very reasonable. I dropped off 3 deer last year, had 100lbs. of link sausage and 20lbs of pan sausage made along with all the other processing, and the grand total was $300ish. I highly recommend them
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBowHntr View Post
B and W Meat Market in N. Houston is great! Some of the best sausage I have had. Really like the Spicy Smoked. Plus they are very reasonable. I dropped off 3 deer last year, had 100lbs. of link sausage and 20lbs of pan sausage made along with all the other processing, and the grand total was $300ish. I highly recommend them

That's a good price
Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Chalk me up as a DIYer. If you have the space to store it, a grinder is an invaluable piece of equipment that will pretty much pay for itself the first time you use it vs some of these processing costs I've heard about. In Houston we have a pretty good store on the northish side of town (at least from you) called alliedkenco that has all the butchering, seasoning, recipes, packaging supplies that you could ever need. If you are not going to do a lot of processing over time, you don't need a commercial grade grinder, and you can pick them up from the Cabelas down near you or Academy, etc.

BTW, burger is really easy to make up. If you like a little fat in your burger, just call up HEB meat department and ask them for their beef fat trimmings from when they trim their organic steaks. Then you can mix it however you like.

For pan sausage, just buy a pork butt on sale at the grocery store and grind/mix it at whatever ratio floats your boat and add seasoning.

It is when you want stuffed smoke sausage that a processor really shines. Those are a bit more time consuming and involved to make. But for everything else, DIY is pretty straight forward.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #22
Bowtech Lefty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Medina and Frio Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoleyba View Post
if you’re looking for a processor in the canyon lake area, you may want to consider granzins. They do a great job! I really like their dry sausage, and buck sticks.
This....they do a great job, i love their spicy sausage!
Bowtech Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #23
ladybluearm
Six Point

Process it yourself, yes it takes time to do it right ,but you will have your deer meat and less expensive. We do all of ours. Once you buy a grinder it will pay for itself after a deer or two.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #24
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

LEM is your friend:

https://www.lemproducts.com

Also, if you haven't already cut the strap into pieces, you should search boudin stuffed backstraps on the recipe forum here. AMAZING!!!
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #25
texashunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell Co, San Saba Co

Quote:

Good luck.
Agree
texashunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
sotol
Four Point

On the other hand, if you gut shot it or left it in your truck for a couple of days, take it to a processor. Lol.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
sotol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Im in the process yourself camp. I dunno why, but just jives with the same reason i enjoy bowhunting. There's lots of good tutorials on YouTube. Guy i like is scott rea if ypu look him up.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
Some processors actually prefer the deer to not be quartered.

Reason why is some people don't know how to quarter a deer and keep it clean. Busted bladder, gut shot not washed off, and the main reason is hair. I've seen a processor refuse to process and turn away a quartered deer (not mine) that was absolutely covered in hair and dirt.
I knew one also that didn’t want anything but a gutted deer. The hair was his main reason
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Guardian Reaper
Six Point

DIY is not bad, if you have some of the equipment as previously stated. Not meant to hijack the thread, but there is a very good video on youtube,,,"skin and process a deer in 10 minutes". The guy goes slower and explains a great process. I have used this in a very similiar way, for over ten years which works great. Gets all of the meat and is extremely clean. My processors always complement on how clean everything is.

Last edited by Guardian Reaper; 10-10-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Guardian Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #30
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Rust Game place in clear springs is good and you can drop your deer off and have onion rings and catfish next door. They will make sure you get your deer and have a quick turnover
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

If you decide to do it yourself then I recommend you go to Allied Kenco in Houston. They have what you need for processing and can help you with recipes
Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #32
Lynda
Ten Point

Thank you for the great responses! It's such a learning curve. I'm about to start a four hour drive back to Houston with my meat on ice. So I've got time to think on it.

I do have a grinder and sausage maker, so it seems like a no brainer to me. I like to get hands on. However... I'll watch videos first, lol.

I'll let y'all know what I do. Hardly slept last night reliving that shot in slow mo in my mind. Ok... I'm on the road!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #33
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Congrats on the deer.
Glad you made the decision to butcher yourself. There is a satisfaction that goes from field to table when you do it.
Sharp knives are your friend. Invest in a good boning knife like a Cold Steel one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Steel-...VyuJ:rk:2:pf:0

Camofire.com has been running a vacuum sealer for 39.99. It is a $80-100 unit. I have it, it is well worth the money. Pick it up if you can and get all set up to be your own butcher. Scraps are good for the dogs.
Oh yeah...A good big teflon cutting board helps big time.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #34
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
Razorback, THAT is an excellent suggestion. It was on my mind... Thinking it can't be too hard. Have sharp knives, will slice.

Plus... I want to feel like I actually did some of the work besides loosing the arrow.

Thank you!
Excellent how to.
https://youtu.be/V-q4IVBrL0M

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #35
txhunter007
Eight Point

I like Aunties Meat Market in Pearland.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

https://www.granzinsmarket.com/

Buck Sticks....Oh hail ya!

Last edited by Traildust; 10-10-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #37
Lynda
Ten Point

Sooo... My grinder got tossed after the hurricane flood (along with most everything else). ��

Took my deer to Aunties Meat Market in Pearland, because it was just down the road, and it had good reviews. Thanks, txhunter007, for the pointer!

They're freezing the head for me. I'm going to boil it when I have a big ol' pot.

Now that I've got the bug again, I'll make sure to be better prepared to process it myself next time. Thank you for all the pointers. I'll take some time to go over all of the resources.

Cheers, gang!