Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #51
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

The only animal seen was a doe that literally almost just ran over Steph as she was getting out of the pop up. I was standing on the edge of the field and watched a doe sprint 300yds across the field and ran by here no more than 10yds away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #52
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

good to see you posting live Red!

Only thing worse than a wife that won't send naughty selfies from the blind is a wife that will send them from camp..............sure cuts some of my hunts short
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #53
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default 1st Leg LIVE!!!

You should have the mods change the title to.....1st Whiff LIVE!!!!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #54
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Pulling in the gate. Gonna change into my hunting clothes and head in. I’ll update when it breaks daylight.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #55
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Good luck this morning, good to see you back on the GS
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #56
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Good luck.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #57
Statton48
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas and Comanche

Good luck today
Statton48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #58
roberts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and San Saba

Good luck.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #59
jooger17
Pope & Young

I’m in and its cracking light. There’s a little hand corn left from the 50# I threw out yesterday evening when I brought steph in. I’m at the 3 Way stand she was going to hunt last night. I could hear pigs behind me before daylight when I was getting set up and walked by a new scrape on the road coming in. It’s hot and still and this stand is incredibley uncomfortable so maybe I won’t have to sit long.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #60
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Good luck this morning Jooger.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #61
jooger17
Pope & Young

The woods are absolutely dead this morning. No wind, squirrels aren’t barking, birds aren’t chirping... Just one of those days I reckon.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #62
jooger17
Pope & Young

This has been painful. Gonna give it another 15min or so, go grab a biscuit, regroup, and scout the river property.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #63
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

I'm in for this one! its been a good one already. Whiffs and all
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #64
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Glad to see this thread and good luck.
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #65
jooger17
Pope & Young

Well that went over like a fart in church! I just knew I was going in to get an arrow bloody this morning. Weird morning, not sure what’s going on. Pressure looks pretty good, it’s just hot and muggy. Time for a biscuit and a scouting trip.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #66
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Sure good to see you posting up Steve!! We had a total washout Down South this weekend (south Liberty County AND Webb County)... I went to Webb County... water was waist deep under my feeder... Had Mesican black ducks and teal under my feeder!! None of us even took out guns/bows out the cases...

Good luck on the deer hunting and "dear hunting"...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #67
nimrodajh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere with legal access

Always my favorite live thread of the year, looking forward to this one!

.... and I'd rather hunt in a dang thunderstorm than these windless, dead calm, hot and muggy days we're having right now. BUT, I'd rather have them now than at the end of the month when it really gets good.

All caught up and tuned in now. Good Luck!!
nimrodajh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #68
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Good luck.
I saw deer Saturday morning in the rain and got skunked in the hot, still weather.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #69
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

You may have to break down and go sit in the national forest, to change it up, them lease deer have your number.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #70
ren087
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Good luck.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #71
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Sure good to see you posting up Steve!! We had a total washout Down South this weekend (south Liberty County AND Webb County)... I went to Webb County... water was waist deep under my feeder... Had Mesican black ducks and teal under my feeder!! None of us even took out guns/bows out the cases...

Good luck on the deer hunting and "dear hunting"...
Teal season was open. Should have throttled a limit lol. I heard it got pretty western down aouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrodajh View Post
Always my favorite live thread of the year, looking forward to this one!

.... and I'd rather hunt in a dang thunderstorm than these windless, dead calm, hot and muggy days we're having right now. BUT, I'd rather have them now than at the end of the month when it really gets good.

All caught up and tuned in now. Good Luck!!
Shoot man weíve been lucky over here in Cherokee Co! We get hot muggy and still in the mornings, thinder storms in the evenings lol. Bout to go take a peek at a spot along the river that I know youíll appreciate.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #72
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post

Teal season was open. Should have throttled a limit lol. I heard it got pretty western down South.
Thought about, but it wouldn't have looked too good to have brought them into camp with their craw full of corn...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:52 PM   #73
jooger17
Pope & Young

I will call him Unicorn. He did this last year at the beginning of season. Gets regular for just a few days at the beginning of season at a feeder then cancels all daylight movement on any of our cameras. Heís been there the last 2 mornings and evenings. He camped out yesterday. Letís hope he slips up this evening.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #74
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

What a neck on that sucker!! Good luck runnin' an arra thru him!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #75
jooger17
Pope & Young

I’m not sure what kind of signal I have in that pop up. I hunted it a couple of times last year and signal was in and out, so here’s the scoop...

We had several pics of this deer last year. He’s not anything super exceptional, but he’s old, cagey and framey and that’s what trips my trigger. Besides that I hunted him a couple of times last year and he won so there’s a little vendetta built up. Anyways, normally I’d already be settled in waiting on him to show. The thing stopping me right now is the wind is DEAD WRONG. That doesn’t look like it’s going to change so i’m going to lean HEAVY on the Ozonics this evening. Radar shows a pretty good chance of a Thunderstorm this evening at 3:45 so at the first sign of a wind change or rain I’m putting a slicker suit on and sneaking in. I’m goong to leave all the windows closed on the blind and keep the Ozonics pumping. When it gets a little closer to 7pm I’ll crack 1 shooting window and get ready. It’s an absolute gamble and normally I would never under any circumstance try and cheat the wind but I think this storm and scent control is going to help me. Mr. David Barclay told me one time “The best time to kill a big buck is when he’s there.” Lots of truth to that. History from last year says I have another day or two at beat before he disappears anyways so I really don’t have anything to lose. I’ll update when I head in, not sure if I’ll be able to posy from the blind or not. Wish me luck.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #76
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Iím not sure what kind of signal I have in that pop up. I hunted it a couple of times last year and signal was in and out, so hereís the scoop...

We had several pics of this deer last year. Heís not anything super exceptional, but heís old, cagey and framey and thatís what trips my trigger. Besides that I hunted him a couple of times last year and he won so thereís a little vendetta built up. Anyways, normally Iíd already be settled in waiting on him to show. The thing stopping me right now is the wind is DEAD WRONG. That doesnít look like itís going to change so iím going to lean HEAVY on the Ozonics this evening. Radar shows a pretty good chance of a Thunderstorm this evening at 3:45 so at the first sign of a wind change or rain Iím putting a slicker suit on and sneaking in. Iím goong to leave all the windows closed on the blind and keep the Ozonics pumping. When it gets a little closer to 7pm Iíll crack 1 shooting window and get ready. Itís an absolute gamble and normally I would never under any circumstance try and cheat the wind but I think this storm and scent control is going to help me. Mr. David Barclay told me one time ďThe best time to kill a big buck is when heís there.Ē Lots of truth to that. History from last year says I have another day or two at beat before he disappears anyways so I really donít have anything to lose. Iíll update when I head in, not sure if Iíll be able to posy from the blind or not. Wish me luck.
Make sure you point the camera at yourself when you get ready unzip that window! I want to hear what you say when that ol mule headed doe starts blowing!
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #77
jooger17
Pope & Young

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Make sure you point the camera at yourself when you get ready unzip that window! I want to hear what you say when that ol mule headed doe starts blowing!
That wouldnít be the first time thatís happened.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #78
TCR≤
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina Counties and Redmesa, CO

Good luck Steve!
TCR≤ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #79
Reddock18
Spike

Good luck! Iím hope to see him on the ground later!!

Reddock18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #80
jooger17
Pope & Young

Itís almost go time

Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #81
tanto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah, Rocksprings

Hoping mother nature cooperates and gives you a chance to slip in and sling one at Unicorn. Best of luck Joog
tanto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #82
jooger17
Pope & Young

Starting to get some light rain. As soon as it really picks up Iíll head in.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #83
jooger17
Pope & Young

I literally just watched it on screen and in real time break off and split right by me. Soooo... Iím standing here dressed and ready waiting on the next wave.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #84
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Good luck sir! You be careful with that ozone and an enclosed blind! It can mess you up pretty bad... ozone poisoning can make you real sick...
Old 10-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #85
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Good luck sir! You be careful with that ozone and an enclosed blind! It can mess you up pretty bad... ozone poisoning can make you real sick...
To quote Redd Foxx, ďWith what I got ozone poisoning better not **** with me. What I got will **** ozone up!Ē Iím sure Iíll be fine. The Coleman stove in a tent never killed me, I rode bicycles without a helmet, and even used to ride in the back of the truck as a kid.

Wind is getting nasty, rain getting heavier, lightning popping. Iím headed in boys!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #86
freezerfiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: jefferson county

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
freezerfiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #87
tanto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah, Rocksprings

Quote:
...I rode bicycles without a helmet, and even used to ride in the back of the truck as a kid.
Good thing you didn't drink out of the garden hose or you'd have been done for! Give em hell!
tanto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #88
jooger17
Pope & Young

I made it in. As expected wind wast gusting and swirling like crazy. The biggest of the downpour happened about 100yds from the blind. Currently I have 1 bar so maybe it’ll hang in there and I can being y’all along. It’d be even cooler if it works!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #89
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

in for the win.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #90
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Give it hell Red!! Better make a head shot! That rain will make trackin' tough...
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #91
jooger17
Pope & Young

Have I ever told yíall how much I hate hunting like this?! Iíve been here less than 30min and Iím board out of my skull and wigging out because I only have 1 window to look out of! This is my Hell!

Anyways, Iím staying positive, sending good vibes, and steering my chi to center or whatever else the granola eating hippies say. All of that is quantum physics right? Breaking all of natures energy down to only positive energy to predict an outcome... ****, Iím board and rambling again. Itís still raining like hell too by the way.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #92
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Hey man, thanks! This one promises to be filled with educational stuff like even after 22 years of bow hunting Iím still not imune to being a dumb *** lol
Kids and work will take the sharp edge off hunten skills. Not that we donít know em, we get careless to details. I know I have had my share of mishaps through the years. Good luck Steve, I enjoy your live hunts.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #93
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Better then sitting at my office! Good luck Steve.
TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #94
jooger17
Pope & Young

Just so can follow along on my madness... Iím not big on scents. I will OCCASIONALLY use a little VS1 or doe estrous when itís prime but usually I just hunt. I do like these dominant buck scents for mock scrapes so today at lunch I bought some. As soon as I got in the blind I started spraying everything down with what I thought was regular scent away spray. I have a pretty good cold kicking so the damage was pretty well done when I realized it was the ďFresh EarthĒ scent. Thereís worse things I guess... So just as the rain slacked up to a drizzle I sprayed a healthy amount of this dominant buck stuff out my front window. Who knows if itíll help a bit or not but with the wind swirling a little maybe heíll catch more of that than me.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #95
jooger17
Pope & Young

Never thought I’d say this on an E. Tx Live Hunt... Feeder just spun lol
Old 10-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #96
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Good luck!! Youíll be fine. I think it could certainly happen for you with this rain.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #97
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

I might be an oddball but I like the fresh earth spray smells.
At least I know I smell like dirt if the hidden voodoo bacteria killing mojo ain't cutting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #98
jooger17
Pope & Young

Sun is dropping behind the trees. It’s scary still here. If he shows I’m going to have to play everytright!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #99
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineland, Tx; Where the ducks are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Im pretty sure has already posted. But, who flippin cares. I actually enjoy keepin up with the mans hunts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Same here!!

Get after em bud!!
marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #100
Ducks-n-Bucks
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

Right on que!! Kill a big one and post it everywhere! Hope to run in to you one day around the fores. Good luck this year
Ducks-n-Bucks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top