Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default Hunting with Matsuri in 2019

I am booked to hunt with Matsuri in June of 2019, and my wife and son will be going with me. This is my first hunt in Africa, but will be my 5th trip to the continent, the other 4 to Kenya. We are debating on going a few days early to do some sight seeing in Johannesburg, are there things that are worth doing there, or are they all similar to the side trips that they will be able to take from camp? My son will be 7 and will likely spend some time hunting with me and some going on excursions with my wife.

Any tips on things to see and do while we're there? Looking forward to the trip and can't wait to be over there.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I am booked to hunt with Matsuri in June of 2019, and my wife and son will be going with me. This is my first hunt in Africa, but will be my 5th trip to the continent, the other 4 to Kenya. We are debating on going a few days early to do some sight seeing in Johannesburg, are there things that are worth doing there, or are they all similar to the side trips that they will be able to take from camp? My son will be 7 and will likely spend some time hunting with me and some going on excursions with my wife.

Any tips on things to see and do while we're there? Looking forward to the trip and can't wait to be over there.
We are too! What dates are you going to be hunting? We are going at the end of June 2019. Did you book your flights? My wife found flights for $750 week before last. Houston- 3 hour layover in Amsterdam then into Jburg. Still have to book our flight to Polokwane.


We thought about going early too, but Van suggested to add days to the end for Krueger National park. He said that Jburg had nothing to see
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We are too! What dates are you going to be hunting? We are going at the end of June 2019. Did you book your flights? My wife found flights for $750 week before last. Houston- 3 hour layover in Amsterdam then into Jburg. Still have to book our flight to Polokwane.
we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam
Awesome. Looking forward to following along. We looked at the direct flights as well. Couldn't justify spending $2500 a piece compared to $750. Would have cost my wife and I $5000 grand to both fly the direct flight.

We leave on Wednesday evening and arrive in Jburg Thursday night. Will catch the 6:30am flight to Polokwane Friday. Should be hunting Friday afternoon 6/28/19. We are planning on hunting 9 days then spending 2 nights in Krueger National Park at the end.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

do you know where you found the flights for $750? $2000-$2500 seems to be everything I'm finding
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Ingle67
Six Point
 
Ingle67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Richmond, TX.
Hunt In: Uvalde County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam
We are headed there with Stolle and his wife as well. Looking forward to seeing your post covering your hunt. We're all bow hunting so we won't need the rifle permits. I've heard nothing but good things about Matsuri. We're all looking forward to the trip. Keep in touch and good luck.
Ingle67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
do you know where you found the flights for $750? $2000-$2500 seems to be everything I'm finding
We are flying KLM. Supposedly Tuesdays are the best days to book.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

I am taking the bow, but also taking the 6.5 creedmoor incase my son or wife decide they wants to shoot something. Also planning on taking the 375 H&H incase I can talk her into letting me hunt a buffalo
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We are flying KLM. Supposedly Tuesdays are the best days to book.
do you have a long layover in Amsterdam coming back?
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I am taking the bow, but also taking the 6.5 creedmoor incase my son or wife decide they wants to shoot something. Also planning on taking the 375 H&H incase I can talk her into letting me hunt a buffalo
We might rent a rifle. Jen wants a Zebra, but does not pull enough weight on her bow. I will let her make that decision.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
do you have a long layover in Amsterdam coming back?
Nope. 4 hour layover in Paris on the way back. land in Paris around 6am and fly out to Houston at 10am.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #12
cajunguy88
Ten Point
 
cajunguy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We are too! What dates are you going to be hunting? We are going at the end of June 2019. Did you book your flights? My wife found flights for $750 week before last. Houston- 3 hour layover in Amsterdam then into Jburg. Still have to book our flight to Polokwane.


We thought about going early too, but Van suggested to add days to the end for Krueger National park. He said that Jburg had nothing to see

Be careful with a layover in Amsterdam if you are traveling with broadheads. Has not happened to me, but have heard of several people having them confiscated and considered contraband.

I'd research that before booking to ensure it's ok to travel through there with any type of weapon....

Good luck on your trip!
cajunguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

anybody have any thoughts on shipping companies to get the animals back, or those that have used Matsuri, do they have someone?
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunguy88 View Post
Be careful with a layover in Amsterdam if you are traveling with broadheads. Has not happened to me, but have heard of several people having them confiscated and considered contraband.



I'd research that before booking to ensure it's ok to travel through there with any type of weapon....



Good luck on your trip!


Thanks for letting us know. We might ship the broad heads a head of time if we think itís a risk.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I am booked to hunt with Matsuri in June of 2019, and my wife and son will be going with me. This is my first hunt in Africa, but will be my 5th trip to the continent, the other 4 to Kenya. We are debating on going a few days early to do some sight seeing in Johannesburg, are there things that are worth doing there, or are they all similar to the side trips that they will be able to take from camp? My son will be 7 and will likely spend some time hunting with me and some going on excursions with my wife.

Any tips on things to see and do while we're there? Looking forward to the trip and can't wait to be over there.
There is lots of things to do outside of Jburg. If you hang around in any big city over there, you better be watching your back the whole time! Make sure to tell Van that Bisch says Hello!!! I hunted there in 2015 and killeed 10 critters in 10 days with my longbow! Matsuri has a great camp and hunting ground.

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
Bisch
Pope & Young
 
Bisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sonora, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
anybody have any thoughts on shipping companies to get the animals back, or those that have used Matsuri, do they have someone?
Van will take you to a taxidermist on your way back to the airport where you will arrange everything, either dip and pack, or have it done there. There are risks to having it done there. I had my stuff dipped and packed, and recieved all my stuff without a hitch. Everything went smooth as silk when I was there in 2015.

Bisch
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #17
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Van will take you to a taxidermist on your way back to the airport where you will arrange everything, either dip and pack, or have it done there. There are risks to having it done there. I had my stuff dipped and packed, and recieved all my stuff without a hitch. Everything went smooth as silk when I was there in 2015.

Bisch
I assumed he would have someone, just hadn't asked him about that piece yet. I will probably have it shipped to my taxidermist in Colorado
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Ingle67
Six Point
 
Ingle67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Richmond, TX.
Hunt In: Uvalde County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunguy88 View Post
Be careful with a layover in Amsterdam if you are traveling with broadheads. Has not happened to me, but have heard of several people having them confiscated and considered contraband.

I'd research that before booking to ensure it's ok to travel through there with any type of weapon....

Good luck on your trip!
I've heard the same think. I was told to pack BH in your checked luggage and not in your bow case. They usually won't check your luggage for them but might check your bow case.
Ingle67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #19
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Awesome. Looking forward to following along. We looked at the direct flights as well. Couldn't justify spending $2500 a piece compared to $750. Would have cost my wife and I $5000 grand to both fly the direct flight.

We leave on Wednesday evening and arrive in Jburg Thursday night. Will catch the 6:30am flight to Polokwane Friday. Should be hunting Friday afternoon 6/28/19. We are planning on hunting 9 days then spending 2 nights in Krueger National Park at the end.
Where are you staying at Krueger?
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We are flying KLM. Supposedly Tuesdays are the best days to book.
KLM flies out Houston or Dallas? I will be over there July 1st.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
Where are you staying at Krueger?


Iím not sure if we have decided just yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
KLM flies out Houston or Dallas? I will be over there July 1st.


Houston


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #23
donpablo
Ten Point
 
donpablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Odessa
Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default

I almost hunted with them once. Long story but I learned not to book airfare with a travel agent. Maybe someday I’ll try again. Good luck. In for pics.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #24
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Houston


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks like Delta is 2500.00 round trip 1 stop at Atlanta. From San Antonio
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #25
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Looks like Delta is 2500.00 round trip 1 stop at Atlanta. From San Antonio
This is about what I'm getting....United is about $2200.....KLM through Amsterdam is about $2000.

I keep watching, hoping those prices come down a little.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #26
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Looks like Delta is 2500.00 round trip 1 stop at Atlanta. From San Antonio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
This is about what I'm getting....United is about $2200.....KLM through Amsterdam is about $2000.

I keep watching, hoping those prices come down a little.
Man we lucked out. Hope they come down for you. Like I said she found the $750 flight on a Tuesday.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Iíll be looking tomorrow. Crazy the price difference for one week later
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #28
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

Yes, I will keep checking as well.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #29
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
Iíll be looking tomorrow. Crazy the price difference for one week later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Yes, I will keep checking as well.
My wife said she found them by using www.kayak.com.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #30
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

I was able to get our flights yesterday for $1300 each, which was significantly less than I'd been able to find thus far, so I jumped on it. It will be Houston to DC to Johannesburg going over, the Johannesburg to Frankfurt to Houston coming home.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #31
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I was able to get our flights yesterday for $1300 each, which was significantly less than I'd been able to find thus far, so I jumped on it. It will be Houston to DC to Johannesburg going over, the Johannesburg to Frankfurt to Houston coming home.


Good deal. Hope the next 8 months fly by


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #32
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Pandora
Default

I keep holding out for a one stop thru Atlanta. I think it’s wishful thinking.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default Hunting with Matsuri in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I keep holding out for a one stop thru Atlanta. I think itís wishful thinking.


That flight was around $2500 each even with the under 11 discount for my son. I decided to save that $3500, well not really save it, but add a mule deer hunt in Colorado next month since it was budgeted for the hunt and I still have what I need to cover the animals and tips. Will have to start saving for excursions for my wife though.

I may be going back to Kenya in February. If I do, weíll do a quick photo safari in Nairobi while weíre there which Iím sure will keep me jacked up. I had an awesome photo trip in July through Nairobi National Park.



















And the best for last!!

Last edited by tommy1005; 10-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #34
Stollegirl
Spike
 
Stollegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Spring, Tx
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Iím not sure if we have decided just yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Van is booking the accommodations for us in Krueger; either in Mopani or Shingwedzi camp.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stollegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #35
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

This is going to be here before we know it.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #36
Bh_liberty
Ten Point
 
Bh_liberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
This is going to be here before we know it.


I canít wait for the photos and stories to start coming in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #37
Lip
Ten Point
 
Lip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

We rented a rifle the days we needed it instead of taking one with us.

Download the app Hopper and put in the flights you are looking for. It will watch flights for you and alert you when there is a good deal.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #38
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
We rented a rifle the days we needed it instead of taking one with us.

Download the app Hopper and put in the flights you are looking for. It will watch flights for you and alert you when there is a good deal.
That is our plan for my wife if she decides she wants to shoot a Zebra.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #39
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
This is going to be here before we know it.
for sure.....got my transport from Johannesburg to Polokwane. I'm now going to start working with riflepermits.com for my import permits and trying to go to CBP in Houston to get my form 4457 signed. Looking like that won't happen until the shutdown is over though from what I can tell on their website.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #40
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
for sure.....got my transport from Johannesburg to Polokwane. I'm now going to start working with riflepermits.com for my import permits and trying to go to CBP in Houston to get my form 4457 signed. Looking like that won't happen until the shutdown is over though from what I can tell on their website.
We booked ours as well. Waiting on Van to let us know what camps he booked in Krueger.

My brother needs to get his pass port renewed as well

Other than practicing and packing we are ready
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #41
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
We booked ours as well. Waiting on Van to let us know what camps he booked in Krueger.



My brother needs to get his pass port renewed as well



Other than practicing and packing we are ready


Weíre also waiting for my sonís passport to come back and trying to get him Global Entry since my wife and I both have it
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #42
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Well. Apparently I spoke too soon. Passport for my son arrived in the mail today so thatís one more item off the list.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #43
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
Well. Apparently I spoke too soon. Passport for my son arrived in the mail today so thatís one more item off the list.


Thatís good news!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
KELLEY68
Nubbin' Buck
 
KELLEY68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bailey's Prairie Tx.
Hunt In: McCulloch County, South Africa
Default

You will have a good hunt with Matsuri. Six of us hunted with them last June, and it was a blast! While the others bow hunted, I chose to rifle hunt since I had bow hunted my last trip over there. We took 31 animals between us. The ranch is big ~ 20,000 acres under 1 fence. My wife and sister-in-law hunted with me the majority of the time and we got to see the whole place and saw a lot of quality animals. I past on some animals I shouldn't have because they were not on my list for this trip. I plan on going back in 2020 and chasing those. Van will treat you good!
KELLEY68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #45
Chris Martin
Eight Point
 
Chris Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central TX
Default

I hunted at matsuri in 2007, before they had their own outfit and killed a few nice critters. Itís a cool place, or at least it was back then. The trophy quality was in the top 2 out of the dozen or so places we went to. Yíall will have a blast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #46
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam
Getting closer! Y'all ready?
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #47
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Getting closer! Y'all ready?
Getting there....gear is starting to get laid out on the guest room bed. I'm shooting the bow every night, and Manners took care of swapping the stock on my APR 6.5 Creedmoor to one of their adjustable ones. My son nails the bullseye at 100 every time he pulls the trigger and I've been having fun shooting it out to 1000. I also got the 375HH sighted in. I've got 50 rounds of 6.5 loaded and 2 boxes of 375 in a small pistol Pelican case and it weighs 9.2 pounds.

It's starting to get real, I'm also looking at some side trips to do with my wife and son and came across big cat experiences in Polokwane. I'm hoping we can work it in to do a picnic with lions and one of their cheetah experiences.

Can't wait to start updating this thread with pictures!!
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #48
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

We are doing the same. Iím going to try my best to not over pack my clothes. I think Van mentioned they wash clothes every other day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #49
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

yes....still hard to not over pack
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #50
Bh_liberty
Ten Point
 
Bh_liberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default

Heck Iím not even going and Iím excited


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com