Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico
Default Suppressor components?

The short Form 1 waits have peaked my interest. Where do y’all purchase components for a homemade suppressor. I’m wanting to build a 30cal can.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Silentnight
Four Point

Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas

I'm in for info on this as well
Silentnight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #3
SC-Texas
Ten Point

You cannot purchase any silencer components prior to the form one being approved

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

Look at a solvent trap
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
The short Form 1 waits have peaked my interest. Where do y’all purchase components for a homemade suppressor. I’m wanting to build a 30cal can.
Wow. May wanna rethink that plan
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
twostepct
Six Point

I bought my tubes from Apogee and my end caps/adapters from SD Tactical. My baffles are formed freeze plugs.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
big_smith
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Wow. May wanna rethink that plan
Why is that? Perfectly legal if you do the Form1.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
You cannot purchase any silencer components prior to the form one being approved

You can purchase all the parts you just cant drill.
ClearcreekDC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

My Form 1 weighs 15 ounces and is just as quite as my buddies 1000 dollar suppressor.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
While I believe like you, I have to side with SC since he is a lawyer that deals with this stuff, until he clarifies of course
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
While I believe like you, I have to side with SC since he is a lawyer that deals with this stuff, until he clarifies of course
Like anything with the BATFE it is grey. If you have other drilled parts for a registered form 1 they could probably find something to charge you with. However, if they are at your house you probably have bigger issues!
-HIC- is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
Silentnight
Four Point

Hunt In: Jourdanton/S. Texas

Quote:
My Form 1 weighs 15 ounces and is just as quite as my buddies 1000 dollar suppressor.
What size can and what parts did you use?

Also what's the cost on a can like that if you don't mind me asking?
Silentnight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Lol. The batfe disagrees with you

Old 09-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
Like anything with the BATFE it is grey. If you have other drilled parts for a registered form 1 they could probably find something to charge you with. However, if they are at your house you probably have bigger issues!
I have had the batfe visit clients who ordered solvent trap parts kits off ebay.

They also wanted the NaPA oil filters that he ordered

I have had them visit people and seize solvent trap kits they bought from a local solvent trap dealer that they shut down. They were running email contacts. Receipts and credit card history.

These parts were undrilled solvent trap parts.

The Form 1 Mafia does a lot of things right. But they give terrible advice when it comes to the possession of unregistered silencers and parts.

Last edited by SC-Texas; 09-24-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
big_smith
Ten Point

OK so AFTER I get my Form 1 stamp back-where do I buy components?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #16
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
I have had the batfe visit clients who ordered solvent trap parts kits off ebay.

I have had them visit people and seize solvent trap kits they bought from a local solvent trap dealer that they shut down. They were running email contacts. Receipts and credit card history.

The Form 1 Mafia does a lot of things right. But they give terrible advice when it comes to the possession of unregistered silencers and parts.

I thought you could have parts with out a form 1 as long as they weren’t modified I.e drilled ect
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #17
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
I thought you could have parts with out a form 1 as long as they weren’t modified I.e drilled ect
Suppressor parts are illegal.

Whether it's an oil filter, a metal solvent cup, choirboy brass cleaning pads, a metal tube threaded on bith ends, etc.

If you intend to make a silencer with it or have a combination of said parts . . . . .

When I met agents they had my guy's purchase records from the shop and his eBay purchase records. They even wanted the NaPA fuel or oil filters.

They aren't stupid

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 PM   #18
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Its perfectly legal to purchase a solvent trap and solvent trap parts... If I change my mind and want to modify them you have to get an approved Form 1. Suppressor parts are illegal but they are not parts to a suppressor unless they are suppressing.

Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 09-24-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #19
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Its perfectly legal to purchase a solvent trap and solvent trap parts... If I change my mind and want to modify them you have to get an approved Form 1. Suppressor parts are illegal but they are not parts to a suppressor unless they are suppressing.
Yeah . . . . Good luck with that. The ATF agents aren't stupid. They show up with your social media posts and this post in this thread. . . . . Yep. Just some old solvent parts . . .bought from a solvent parts dealer who is being prosecuted for . . . Get this . . . Selling silencer parts . . .

Old 09-25-2019, 12:19 AM   #20
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Thanks for posting Mr. Cody, I had no idea BATF was cracking down on this. I will stop erroneously telling people to go that route. The “cups” screwed that deal up IMO.

I do have a question though, if solvent trap parts are illegal, shouldn’t adj butt stocks be as well since they can easily be converted to slide fire therefore making a machine gun?
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #21
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Oh crap, I hope I don’t get arrested for changing the oil in my truck or owning a bunch of maglites!!
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #22
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Oh crap, I hope I don’t get arrested for changing the oil in my truck or owning a bunch of maglites!!
That was the joke when the atf ruled that chore boy brass pads were suppressor parts.

https://gundigest.com/article/atf-cl...s-nfa-firearms

Old 09-25-2019, 01:04 AM   #23
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Yeah . . . . Good luck with that. The ATF agents aren't stupid. They show up with your social media posts and this post in this thread. . . . . Yep. Just some old solvent parts . . .bought from a solvent parts dealer who is being prosecuted for . . . Get this . . . Selling silencer parts . . .

Honest question here: how are they supposed to prosecute someone for some pieces of metal that “could” be assembled into a suppressor? Like maglites, oil filters, fuel filters, pieces of steel tubing roughly 1” diameter and 10” long, freeze plugs, etc. Everything I just listed is not illegal to own by itself or collectively, correct? The crime begins when you assemble (or prepare) the parts into a suppressor without permission from the almighty government, would it not? Otherwise it would seem as though every O’reilleys in the nation would be involved in selling “suppressor parts”.

Things are not adding up for me in this equation.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:19 AM   #24
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Honest question here: how are they supposed to prosecute someone for some pieces of metal that “could” be assembled into a suppressor? Like maglites, oil filters, fuel filters, pieces of steel tubing roughly 1” diameter and 10” long, freeze plugs, etc. Everything I just listed is not illegal to own by itself or collectively, correct? The crime begins when you assemble (or prepare) the parts into a suppressor without permission from the almighty government, would it not? Otherwise it would seem as though every O’reilleys in the nation would be involved in selling “suppressor parts”.

Things are not adding up for me in this equation.
Its intent. Posts on social media i.e. this thread. Text messages and emails discussing how to build a silencer. Searches on building a silencer.

Purchasing solvent trap kits. Seriously, they really aren't as stupid as you think they are.

And when they show up and ask for the parts. You give it to them because it costs more to fight it.

It's the intent to use them as a silencer part and that's usually easy enough to infer and infer they can.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #25
joel45acp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

It’s best to simply file a Form1, wait the 20 to 40 days for approval, wait a few more weeks to receive the stamp in the mail, hold stamp in hand, then order/make your parts. I got my approval email about 10days ago, but I haven’t even thought about collecting, buying or making parts yet. I want that piece of paper in hand first before beginning the process of building. Just my dos centavos.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #26
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
It’s best to simply file a Form1, wait the 20 to 40 days for approval, wait a few more weeks to receive the stamp in the mail, hold stamp in hand, then order/make your parts. I got my approval email about 10days ago, but I haven’t even thought about collecting, buying or making parts yet. I want that piece of paper in hand first before beginning the process of building. Just my dos centavos.
If you did the Efile Form 1, you won't get an actual stamp, FYI. You just print the approval form with the scan of the actual stamp. So no need to wait after the email.
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #27
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Its intent. Posts on social media i.e. this thread. Text messages and emails discussing how to build a silencer. Searches on building a silencer.

Purchasing solvent trap kits. Seriously, they really aren't as stupid as you think they are.

And when they show up and ask for the parts. You give it to them because it costs more to fight it.

It's the intent to use them as a silencer part and that's usually easy enough to infer and infer they can.

Not saying you’re wrong, but that’s BS.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
You are going to be waiting a while if you efiled. They only send an attachment to your email upon approval. Print it. I keep a copy in my truck and at my home at all times.

Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 09-25-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Not saying you’re wrong, but that’s BS.
I am right
As are you. Its BS

Old 09-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #30
rossivey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin Co.

My buddy at our local gun store said a guy told him the ATF came to his house looking for the auto sear keychain he bought online. Had the transaction details in hand when they knocked on his door. They are definitely paying attention to people.
rossivey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #31
joel45acp
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
If you did the Efile Form 1, you won't get an actual stamp, FYI. You just print the approval form with the scan of the actual stamp. So no need to wait after the email.
Oh ok. Lol I was under the impression the ATF would send an actual stamp.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #32
joel45acp
Eight Point

Quote:
You are going to be waiting a while if you efiled. They only send an attachment to your email upon approval. Print it. I keep a copy in my truck and at my home at all times.
Just got off the phone with ATF and I’m “Good to go hun”. Lol, let’s start drilling, grinding and screwing stuff.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #33
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:

The truth, and one of the major problems with dealing with anything government related, or matters of legality. Like the greatest orator of the last 200 years, IceMan King Parsons said, "It be's that way sometimes."

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 09-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #34
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Just know the laws and you will be just fine. Tons of FB groups with hundreds or more talking about this daily. You have to understand that the ATF is probably approving 100s of Form 1s DAILY. You really think THEY think we are all metal machinist? Come on! You will be fine and good luck.

Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 09-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Just know the laws and you will be just fine. Tons of FB groups with hundreds or more talking about this daily. You have to understand that the ATF is probably approving 100s of Form 1s DAILY. You really think THEY think we are all metal machinist? Come on! You will be fine and good luck.

I would trust the NFA lawyer on this thread and not the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #36
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

That’s fine. Trust who you want. I promise it doesn’t make a difference to me. Read the laws. Interpret them how you want.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #37
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
That’s fine. Trust who you want. I promise it doesn’t make a difference to me. Read the laws. Interpret them how you want.
Here's the deal. I am simply right about this.

That said, I'm not going to tell you how many people gather the parts before the form 1 is approved.

The examples I have been involved in bought solvent traps online or paid with a card in a shop or gun show and when the ATF seized the owner and his records, his email list, facebook messenger messages, etc. and assets they easily ID'd the customers.

What does that mean.
1. The law is the law.
2. The ATF most likely isn't going to come to your home because you bought chore boy brass pads or a shoe lace (machinegun ya know) or a oil filter

But stop deluding yourself about the legality of solvent traps especially if you have form 1 pending. That's intent on its face.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #38
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
I promise it doesn’t make a difference to me.
That's why you're not trustworthy-- you've got no skin in the game, or knowledge/experience on the subject.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #39
big_smith
Ten Point

Just to be clear as the OP, and just in case anyone is snitching me to the BATF, I have purchased no parts, and don't intend to purchase any parts until the Form 1 is complete. I simply was trying to put a parts list together to determine best place to purchase once the Form 1 is finished. Not sure how this went off the rails.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #40
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

So after I have my F1 stamp in hand, is it ok to then purchase a solvent trap to use in a build? What about other “suppressor parts” that I may need to put it together.

Man you read so much disinformation on the internet about this...

Also, I wonder if any of this stuff mentioned later in this thread has been tested in court or if it’s just the ATF cramming it’s version of the law down the throats of otherwise law abiding citizens.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #41
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
Just to be clear as the OP, and just in case anyone is snitching me to the BATF, I have purchased no parts, and don't intend to purchase any parts until the Form 1 is complete. I simply was trying to put a parts list together to determine best place to purchase once the Form 1 is finished. Not sure how this went off the rails.
I’m in the same shoes as you with the same question.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #42
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
So after I have my F1 stamp in hand, is it ok to then purchase a solvent trap to use in a build? What about other “suppressor parts” that I may need to put it together.

Man you read so much disinformation on the internet about this...

Also, I wonder if any of this stuff mentioned later in this thread has been tested in court or if it’s just the ATF cramming it’s version of the law down the throats of otherwise law abiding citizens.
Absolutely. Once you have the form 1 I think it's okay. But you cant have extra parts. Lol

Its so stupid.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #43
MLAH
Six Point

^
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #44
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Quote:
Here's the deal. I am simply right about this.

That said, I'm not going to tell you how many people gather the parts before the form 1 is approved.

The examples I have been involved in bought solvent traps online or paid with a card in a shop or gun show and when the ATF seized the owner and his records, his email list, facebook messenger messages, etc. and assets they easily ID'd the customers.

What does that mean.
1. The law is the law.
2. The ATF most likely isn't going to come to your home because you bought chore boy brass pads or a shoe lace (machinegun ya know) or a oil filter

But stop deluding yourself about the legality of solvent traps especially if you have form 1 pending. That's intent on its face.

I dont have a form 1 pending at all. Can you copy/paste the law that says solvent traps are illegal? I dont care about your interpretation (no offense). I would like you to state the law. I understand you are a big wig lawyer with a great following. I just want the law posted that says solvent traps are illegal. Also how old are all these prior experiences with clients you keep mentioning? Anything in last 4 years?

Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 09-26-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #45
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
I dont have a form 1 pending at all. Can you copy/paste the law that says solvent traps are illegal? I dont care about your interpretation (no offense). I would like you to state the law. I understand you are a big wig lawyer with a great following. I just want the law posted that says solvent traps are illegal. Also how old are all these prior experiences with clients you keep mentioning? Anything in last 4 years?
https://www.atf.gov/denver-field-div...seized-website

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5861

Last edited by yotethumper; 09-26-2019 at 07:14 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #46
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Never purchased from dark side defense thank goodness! Im looking for written laws not cases where they shut down websites.

Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 09-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #47
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Solid edit with the added link. Still doesn't show me where its illegal to purchase a solvent trap.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #48
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Never purchased from dark side defense thank goodness! Im looking for written laws not cases where they shut down websites.
Why dont you do this
Buy some solvent traps
Call the atf and tell them
Refuse to hand them over

Let us know who was right?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #49
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Can you not just post the law that says they are illegal. I promise I will go away.... It just seems the only meat and potatoes of this post are opinions... and we know how much ground those hold.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #50
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Solid edit with the added link. Still doesn't show me where its illegal to purchase a solvent trap.
And If it's not illegal to purchase solvent traps, why would the ATF it's shutting solvent trap dealers down and visiting everybody on their customer list who Has bought a solvent trap