Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
cgood11
Nubbin' Buck

Default New flounder Regulations

Surprised a thread hasn't been started about it yet or maybe I missed it. 15" instead of 14 and 0 bag limit Nov. 1 thru Dec 15th....I guess ill continue buying a Louisiana license. Sounds like CCA was pushing it hard. Contemplating boycotting the star tournament this year.
cgood11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

CCA is a joke.. Just take away from the weekend anglers while giving Commercial fishermen whatever they want.. Just like with anything else, just follow the money
bollomb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

GCCA was great. Name's not the only thing that changed.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bandera County

When does it start?
Fightinaggies is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
When does it start?
2021. Delaying the closure part for a year ,because of covid . From the way it reads on TPWD the 15 in length starts Sept 1st 2020.

Last edited by DUKFVR; 05-21-2020 at 04:29 PM.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
CaptainDave
Ten Point

What a bunch of crap. Many people (myself included) were ok with the reduction to a 2 fish limit during the fall run as the flounder population is vulnerable during that time; especially the females heading for the gulf. However, a complete shut-down of the fishery? What a joke. As usual, recreational anglers get screwed.

From what I read, the regulation on flounder won't go into effect until 2021, so the 2 fish limit still applies for this coming fall.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollomb View Post
CCA is a joke.. Just take away from the weekend anglers while giving Commercial fishermen whatever they want.. Just like with anything else, just follow the money
What did the commercial guys get?
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

What they should have done is make flounder a game fish, but then the commercial side would have really been screaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #9
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=flounder
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
SabineHunter
Four Point

Bellyache all you want to about the CCA but, tell me, what organization do you BELONG to that does more for our coastal resources? Just like those that cry and whine about the NRA but don't put their money where their mouth is. I have belonged to the GCCA since it's second year (now the CCA) and I don't agree with everything they do. I call them and let them know.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
T-roy66
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I got my renewal notice from CCA the other day. I told them I will not be supporting their organization. I feel they have lost interest in representing the recreational anglers. The flounder regulations further prove my view. It’s a sad day.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

There is a major flounder population issue but it is not due to over fishing, it is due to the redfish population explosion over the last 15-20 years!!
We have entirely too many redfish and they devour baby flounder... They eat juveniles of every species... Nothing is off limits..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I agree with the Redfish thing, not only eating other species but competition for resources as well.

As for the flounder, are we really getting our pitchforks and torches ready over a 1" increase in size limit? I'd rather not box a 14.5" flounder anyway.

I don't care for closing the whole darn thing to flounder for 6 weeks, but I'll ***** about that next year.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I agree with the Redfish thing, not only eating other species but competition for resources as well.

As for the flounder, are we really getting our pitchforks and torches ready over a 1" increase in size limit? I'd rather not box a 14.5" flounder anyway.

I don't care for closing the whole darn thing to flounder for 6 weeks, but I'll ***** about that next year.
Yeah I’m in the water a lot, and I mean a lot, and flounder numbers are down. I only catch 4-6 a year. I don’t target them but bycatch flounder used to come more often. I sold my flounder boat several years ago, when it went to 5 fish. There’s a bunch of pressure on them, they’re pretty easy to gig. And also environmental factors that are affecting their numbers. There’s barely even a commercial market for flounder anymore or commercial take. Gigging boats and warm winters are the reason flounder populations are on the decline. Who do you think gives CCA more money, the handful of commercial flounder guys left, or the recreational anglers. Follow the money is with the recreational angler.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #15
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Shrimping bycatch, loss of estuaries, and decreasing water quality are what spell doom for flounder. Not recreational fishing.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #16
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy66 View Post
I got my renewal notice from CCA the other day. I told them I will not be supporting their organization. I feel they have lost interest in representing the recreational anglers. The flounder regulations further prove my view. It’s a sad day.
They never represented the anglers, not sure what ever gave you that impression.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

I stopped renewals CCA years ago because less trips to my native Texas coast. I would assume they still do a lot of good? Recently they found me and prompting me to rejoin? Reports here have me wondering what happened! Seemed a great organization years ago. Texas Fish and Game Magazine? Are they gone? Loved Chester's articles an privileged to communicate with him a few times. Lots of good info about flounder from Mr. Moore. The shrimpers were a big loss of juveniles just trying to earn a living. I think that has greatly been reduced but been out of the loop. I have been able to catch some from Packery again so who knows! 15" 12" ok. 1 or 10. If I get 1 , happy. I can always catch some whiting if hongry
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #18
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Don’t worry , “man” will fix the problem, always knows what’s best
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #19
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

So is commercial dial shut down as well during that time?

Population may be down but I found a little hole and have caught more in the last 6 months than I've caught in the last 10 years!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post

Population may be down but I found a little hole and have caught more in the last 6 months than I've caught in the last 10 years!
Not that many Commercial licenses left compared to 10 years ago, CCA buys everyone of them out they can.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #21
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post

Yes:
Quote:
Coastal Fisheries

Flounder – Increase minimum size limit from 14 inches to 15 inches and close the season for the month of November through December 14 (recreational and commercial);
https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/rel...?req=20200521e
https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed...m.phtml?item=3
Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #22
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Yeah I’m in the water a lot, and I mean a lot, and flounder numbers are down. I only catch 4-6 a year. I don’t target them but bycatch flounder used to come more often. I sold my flounder boat several years ago, when it went to 5 fish. There’s a bunch of pressure on them, they’re pretty easy to gig. And also environmental factors that are affecting their numbers. There’s barely even a commercial market for flounder anymore or commercial take. Gigging boats and warm winters are the reason flounder populations are on the decline. Who do you think gives CCA more money, the handful of commercial flounder guys left, or the recreational anglers. Follow the money is with the recreational angler.
Did you sell your main boat when trout went to 5?
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Did you sell your main boat when trout went to 5?
Nope. I enjoy catching trout. I would still go fishing even if it was catch and release. Flounder gigging is grocery shopping.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #24
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Thanks that's good to know.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #25
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nope. I enjoy catching trout. I would still go fishing even if it was catch and release. Flounder gigging is grocery shopping.
I'm just screwing with you.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #26
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I'm just screwing with you.

I know. I like floundering too, I did a lot when I was in my early twenties. Now I’m too lazy to stay up all night. Lol
Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #27
cgood11
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

The 1” size increase doesn’t bother me at all. Its the 6 week 0 bag limit that I don’t get. If the population is in that bad of decline making them a gamefish makes more sense to me...
cgood11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #28
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

They need to up the redfish limit to 10 and drop the size limit to something edible like 16 inches.. I only flounder fish.. i don't eat trout or redfish. I haven't had a problem finding fish .. infact this has been the best year of the last 3 for me..Everytime Humans mettle with mother nature it screws something else up..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #29
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Why do ya'll worry about crap like this? Learn a foreign language and tell the game warden you no speaky english. Take your warning and keep doing what you were doing. Easy Peasy.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #30
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

CCA is an E'fn joke for the recreational fisherman. I miss the GCCA of the 80's.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #31
ace340cs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas

Following!!!
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
What they should have done is make flounder a game fish, but then the commercial side would have really been screaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

The market is there somewhere every time I see 37 fish over limit on flounder it's a commercial boat. He may not be fishing for them but they **** sure keep them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #33
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Lmao
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 AM   #34
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Wait, you're just recognizing that CCA is an elitist organization? It was founded by elitists, and, at times has done some good. I don't really have an ax to grind in the flounder battle, because I really don't fish for them, but I know this, the latest regulations only change reporting requirements for commercial licenses, but there is no change in bag limits for them. I've gone to Anahuac Wildlife Refuge early in the morning to fish and seen lights on flounder boats everywhere. If flounder are in such bad shape, why are they only addressing recreational fishermen?
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #35
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Wait, you're just recognizing that CCA is an elitist organization? It was founded by elitists, and, at times has done some good. I don't really have an ax to grind in the flounder battle, because I really don't fish for them, but I know this, the latest regulations only change reporting requirements for commercial licenses, but there is no change in bag limits for them. I've gone to Anahuac Wildlife Refuge early in the morning to fish and seen lights on flounder boats everywhere. If flounder are in such bad shape, why are they only addressing recreational fishermen?
Because recreational anglers are taking the most flounder. I bet all those lights you saw were guides and rec boats. There’s only a handful of commercial giggers anymore. Floundering is so easy, even my no fishing brother in law can go out and gig limits. More people taking fish, less fish=regulation changes.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 05-22-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #36
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

If you watched or listened to any of the flounder scoping meetings, commercial take of flounder was such a small number it wasn’t even factored in.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #37
jds247
Ten Point

I don't agree with the floundering is so easy statement.. i have a flounder boat and more times than not either the wind is bad water is dirty tide is too high etc.. that may be true down south where the water is clear but I've caught way more limits than I've ever gigged.. there's just not that many people gigging anymore.. closing the run will have the biggest affect..
Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #38
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
The 6 week closure is for recreational and commercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I don't agree with the floundering is so easy statement.. i have a flounder boat and more times than not either the wind is bad water is dirty tide is too high etc.. that may be true down south where the water is clear but I've caught way more limits than I've ever gigged.. there's just not that many people gigging anymore.. closing the run will have the biggest affect..
I've been fishing POC for a long time, and I've always been a night owl. In that area there are multitudes more giggers out there now than even 10 years ago. I think with light bars and navigation systems being more reliable people are out a lot more at night in general. I've also spent a lot of time down there during the week and you can't go to any of the popular spots with clear water during the week anymore without competing with flounder boats. Used to be we'd let them have at it on the weekends and sneak in during the week but not anymore.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #39
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
I'll place some calls today but no guarantees I can have this resolved quickly.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #40
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I'll place some calls today but no guarantees I can have this resolved quickly.
lmao
Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #41
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

CCA was trying to push a 2 fish limit and 17" size. They have been horrible when it comes to representing facts in the texas fishery. The problem is that CCA is now a national organization, and it's full of northern liberals.

they've screwed us over for red snapper representation, they pushed the 5 trout limit while admitting there was NO DATA to support the reduction was needed.

it's become another organization for feel good legislation.. oh, but they give away a couple boats and scholarships, so keep pumping millions into their org.

I'm a good flounder guy (hook, not gig), and there are way more out there than people think. it's another problem of whining and complaining from unskilled people leading to legislation.

Last edited by kyle1974; 05-22-2020 at 09:47 AM.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #42
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
The 6 week closure is for recreational and commercial.

I've been fishing POC for a long time, and I've always been a night owl. In that area there are multitudes more giggers out there now than even 10 years ago. I think with light bars and navigation systems being more reliable people are out a lot more at night in general. I've also spent a lot of time down there during the week and you can't go to any of the popular spots with clear water during the week anymore without competing with flounder boats. Used to be we'd let them have at it on the weekends and sneak in during the week but not anymore.
I believe you .. thats why I said I don't know about dowb south anything south of east bay is south to me lol..

One size fits all isnt a good idea.. If the fish population is limited in an area I agree with trying something.. but a blanket policy for the whole state shouldn't be used.. I wont start worrying until Texas' bs policy's start spilling over to Louisiana.. Im 20 min for the closest la ramp.. all it will do is make me and many in my area stop buying Texas license.. we all fish the Louisiana side of the lake anyway .
Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #43
jds247
Ten Point

there are way more out there than people think. it's another problem of whining and complaining from unskilled people leading to legislation.[/QUOTE]

I agree I only flounder fish .. have no use for a wormy trout.. i have no problem finding and catching flounder in my area..
Old 05-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #44
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I have a question, so there is a what ever size limit 14-17 inches. If your gigging them, once you stick them and find they are short you put them back in the water, I can’t imagine many would make ? I know how hard it is to judge a fish in the water and a 14” could easily be 12”. And it would be easy to mistake a 12” even for a 15” I would think. I’ve been fly fishing for carp and many times it looks like a big fish and it turns out much smaller. And the opposite is true to, many times I think 7-8 pounds and they are 13-14 lbs.

Last edited by critter69; 05-22-2020 at 09:53 AM.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #45
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I believe you .. thats why I said I don't know about dowb south anything south of east bay is south to me lol..

One size fits all isnt a good idea.. If the fish population is limited in an area I agree with trying something.. but a blanket policy for the whole state shouldn't be used.. I wont start worrying until Texas' bs policy's start spilling over to Louisiana.. Im 20 min for the closest la ramp.. all it will do is make me and many in my area stop buying Texas license.. we all fish the Louisiana side of the lake anyway .
LA is going through the same thing and there will probably be changes over there and for trout as well.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
BangBang
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co., Atascosa Co., Aransas Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
I have a question, so there is a what ever size limit 14-17 inches. If your gigging them, once you stick them and find they are short you put them back in the water, I can’t imagine many would make ? I know how hard it is to judge a fish in the water and a 14” could easily be 12”. And it would be easy to mistake a 12” even for a 15” I would think. I’ve been fly fishing for carp and many times it looks like a big fish and it turns out much smaller. And the opposite is true to, many times I think 7-8 pounds and they are 13-14 lbs.
My wading shoes are about 13" long on the sole. Usually can step right next to them and judge if they are 1-2" longer than my shoe. When in question, I just move along. There's only a tater chip of a fillet on the white side from 14-17".
BangBang is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #47
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
My wading shoes are about 13" long on the sole. Usually can step right next to them and judge if they are 1-2" longer than my shoe. When in question, I just move along. There's only a tater chip of a fillet on the white side from 14-17".
Last year I stood over one mulling it over for a solid two minutes at least, agonizing whether it was legal or not. I stabbed it... immediately walked it back to the boat to measure as I was nervous. It measured 19 freaking inches. LOL... We don't gig all that much and I guess I didn't have good enough beer goggles yet for that one. I tend to way overestimate the size to be extra safe.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #48
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
LA is going through the same thing and there will probably be changes over there and for trout as well.
I'm sure they are but the limit will still be more than Texas limits..
Old 05-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #49
BangBang
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co., Atascosa Co., Aransas Bay

Quote:
Last year I stood over one mulling it over for a solid two minutes at least, agonizing whether it was legal or not. I stabbed it... immediately walked it back to the boat to measure as I was nervous. It measured 19 freaking inches. LOL... We don't gig all that much and I guess I didn't have good enough beer goggles yet for that one. I tend to way overestimate the size to be extra safe.
Yep, I've gigged many that I thought were 15" and ended up being solid 18+ fish. Depends on how deep they are buried. Always a guessing game when you only see 2 eyes and a deep V for the mouth. Also, I wear a beer snorkel when I gig, not just the goggles. Nothing more relaxing than a deserted bay on a clear night. I probably would gig more flounder if I would stop looking at the stars.
BangBang is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #50
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
If you watched or listened to any of the flounder scoping meetings, commercial take of flounder was such a small number it wasn’t even factored in.
This correct.

I’m still a cca member but am not pleased with all that they do, actually never was. Joined flatsworthy, like some of what they believe but not everything either. Older I get the more conservation minded I seem to be, really want my grandkids to get to experience the stuff I have.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top