Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #151
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Well they just called and said it’s the steering damper. Of course it’s on backorder and they can’t tell me when its gonna come in.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #152
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
IMO ford is just chasing the dragons tail with the death wobble
Those hard heads could engineer a IFS eliminating the DW
But that would mean admission of incompetence by ford engineers
$75000+ for a new truck and no results
IFS on a 3/4 ton and 1 ton is no bueno. Wait until you start having to replace worn parts. Those Tie Rods do not hold up under load in 4X4.

They do handle good, I will give you that.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #153
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Well they just called and said itís the steering damper. Of course itís on backorder and they canít tell me when its gonna come in.

Option 1 - leave at Ford for weeks waiting for another known weak OEM stabilizer and be mad about it.

Option 2 - take it home and spend a couple hundred putting a good aftermarket dual stabilizer on and be done with it.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #154
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
IFS on a 3/4 ton and 1 ton is no bueno. Wait until you start having to replace worn parts. Those Tie Rods do not hold up under load in 4X4.

They do handle good, I will give you that.
I've worn out several frontends in the last 3/4 million miles or so on them. Those parts are cheap, I replace with better stuff, and have a real front end shop do it, and none of my trucks have ever tried to kill me. I bet I've spent 4k on those parts and labor over that time....I'll take that trade all day.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #155
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Option 1 - leave at Ford for weeks waiting for another known weak OEM stabilizer and be mad about it.

Option 2 - take it home and spend a couple hundred putting a good aftermarket dual stabilizer on and be done with it.
Option 1 is gonna be it. Sucks, but Im not gonna give them a reason in the future to say that Ive voided any kind of warranty.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #156
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I've worn out several frontends in the last 3/4 million miles or so on them. Those parts are cheap, I replace with better stuff, and have a real front end shop do it, and none of my trucks have ever tried to kill me. I bet I've spent 4k on those parts and labor over that time....I'll take that trade all day.
You've had better luck than me than. Had two chevy 3/4 ton with IFS suspension. Had a ton of problems. Way more than any of my Fords and Dodges with Solid front axles. I do all the work myself, so solid front axles are way easier to work on.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #157
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Option 1 is gonna be it. Sucks, but Im not gonna give them a reason in the future to say that Ive voided any kind of warranty.
No reason why they should void your warranty because you changed your own shock out. I would order the Bilstein replacement one and give it to them for them to swap out or you can do it yourself. As I have mentioned before I think the issue is the track bar.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #158
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Just out of curiosity, since Dodge has the same ďmethodĒ as Ford of how they do their front ends why do they not seem to have the huge number of issues that Ford does with death wobble. It is the same basic system but something is obviously different.

Chevy and GMC is different so I understand why they donít have it.

Not trying to start a brand war at all, I sold my last Super Duty because of it, currently drive a Tundra, but will go back to a diesel once this Tundra pays off. Doing research I guess.
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #159
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Just out of curiosity, since Dodge has the same “method” as Ford of how they do their front ends why do they not seem to have the huge number of issues that Ford does with death wobble. It is the same basic system but something is obviously different.

Chevy and GMC is different so I understand why they don’t have it.

Not trying to start a brand war at all, I sold my last Super Duty because of it, currently drive a Tundra, but will go back to a diesel once this Tundra pays off. Doing research I guess.
The older Dodges use to have death wobbles. They've recalled a lot of trucks for the same issue. I know they re designed the sway bar end links as well as other components. I'm guessing they just had their engineers figure out the problem and that was that. When I drove the older dodges I would always replace the track bars and other components with aftermarket parts that were built stronger and better. Never had any issues.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #160
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
You've had better luck than me than. Had two chevy 3/4 ton with IFS suspension. Had a ton of problems. Way more than any of my Fords and Dodges with Solid front axles. I do all the work myself, so solid front axles are way easier to work on.
Same here. I was in 2" of mud (Something I never thought would require 4wd, but it did). Put in 4wd, let off the brake and eased onto the accelerator. Half shaft CV joint snapped almost immediately. Truck had maybe 5000 miles on it.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #161
coach51
Six Point

Just got my 2019 with 10,000 miles out of the shop. The steering feels a lot better....Hoping this will last. I was in contact with Ford Customer service, they were working on getting me a lease truck. Ford said if you have a truck that is under warranty, they will get you a lease ride at their expense until yours is fixed.
coach51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #162
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:

Dale, you got a recommendation for a GOOD front end shop in the North FW area?

I have never experienced DW in my 2017 F250, however I can feel the front end being somewhat looser over the last few months.

Would like to have it taken care of before I do possibly experience the DW...
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #163
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I always used Fort Worth champion spring, just south of downtown on Henderson, I believe. Not super convenient, but they do awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #164
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
I always used Fort Worth champion spring, just south of downtown on Henderson, I believe. Not super convenient, but they do awesome work.

If they do good solid work I have no problem with that location.

Appreciate the info
DamonJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #165
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

My boss has been fighting Ford for the past 3 month to get the wobble fixed. Itís fixed for about a week then comes back. This final time has been good so far. Been 2 weeks lol

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #166
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I have driven F250's since 2000. Close to 750,000 miles total and my new 2019 F350 is my first one to get the DW with only 2,500 miles on it. The GM was in the service dept. when I walked in and he made the call to grab parts from a new truck on the lot. It hasn't happened again in 7000 miles, but I still feel a little wobble in the front that scares me.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #167
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
I have driven F250's since 2000. Close to 750,000 miles total and my new 2019 F350 is my first one to get the DW with only 2,500 miles on it. The GM was in the service dept. when I walked in and he made the call to grab parts from a new truck on the lot. It hasn't happened again in 7000 miles, but I still feel a little wobble in the front that scares me.
That isnít good considering you have 24K hooked up to you
Hope they can figure it out
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #168
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #169
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

Once you rebuild the front end, replace the single stabilizer with a dual and still have the problem then look at your tires. Mine turned out to be the Cooper AT's I was running. Changed to BF Goodrich and haven't had another problem. Not saying that Coopers are the only bad tires but it worked for me.
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #170
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

So let's say hypothetically if my cousin's neighbor's fedex guy had a 2017 F250 with no death wobble, and said truck was approaching the end of the warranty period.

What would happen if that dude took his truck in prior to warranty expiring and complained of death wobble? Automatic upgrade to parts? Mechanic says I see nothing wrong and couldn't reproduce the issue during test drives? Fedex guy goes to hell for lying?

Discuss.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #171
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
So let's say hypothetically if my cousin's neighbor's fedex guy had a 2017 F250 with no death wobble, and said truck was approaching the end of the warranty period.

What would happen if that dude took his truck in prior to warranty expiring and complained of death wobble? Automatic upgrade to parts? Mechanic says I see nothing wrong and couldn't reproduce the issue during test drives? Fedex guy goes to hell for lying?

Discuss.
Ford should overnight parts via UPS to fix the ghost problem.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #172
Stolle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
That isnít good considering you have 24K hooked up to you

Hope they can figure it out

No lie and big reason I drive well below the posted speed limit when Iím pulling my machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #173
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
No lie and big reason I drive well below the posted speed limit when Iím pulling my machine.

Can't be any scarier than rogue rocks to the windshield...
Old 02-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #174
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

Discuss.

The FedEx guy should avoid the time and frustration with Ford, go to a reputable front end shop for an inspection for worn parts and an alignment. Then add a good dual stabilize and be done. Ford is simply throwing bandaids at this issue currently
Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #175
Stolle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can't be any scarier than rogue rocks to the windshield...

Like daily driving compared that fun little event.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #176
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:

Discuss.
Ford would replace his parts with new factory parts so he too could have the death wobble very soon.....
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #177
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

Does this effect the Diesel version more than the Gas or it doesn't make any difference? I have a New 2019 F250 with 3400 miles on it. Looking at preventive fix's before it happens. Thanks
Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #178
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I just bought a new Super Duty, hopefully I don’t have these problems.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #179
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
Does this effect the Diesel version more than the Gas or it doesn't make any difference? I have a New 2019 F250 with 3400 miles on it. Looking at preventive fix's before it happens. Thanks

Both have same suspension
Old 02-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #180
b.a.saha
Eight Point

Hunt In: westhoff, tx

Aftermarket dual stabilizers. Should you have to do it? No. But it fixes the problem. They should just start making them that way. The single they come with and the way it’s setup is not good for much. They have the same front end setup from umpteen years ago but the trucks come stock with a close to 34” tire versus a 30-31.
b.a.saha is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #181
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.saha View Post
Aftermarket dual stabilizers. Should you have to do it? No. But it fixes the problem. They should just start making them that way. The single they come with and the way itís setup is not good for much. They have the same front end setup from umpteen years ago but the trucks come stock with a close to 34Ē tire versus a 30-31.

They have also cut reduced castor spec to aid turning radius. The dealer wonít change either of those things
Old 02-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #182
bboswell
Pope & Young

This is long but gets very informative at about 15:00

https://youtu.be/87YAIasn0p0
Old 05-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #183
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

I recently traded in my 2017 F250 & one of reasons I did was because of DW.
It appears Ford is finally going to address this issue & repair or replace parts on them. Got a service bulletin in mail today from Ford.
TexasTK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #184
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Mine goes in the shop tomorrow morning for the second time same issue DW! Freaking hate this garbage on a 9
Month old truck. We shall see.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #185
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Kinney County

From the Ford App

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #186
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

It looks like it's not a recall notice. Just an extension of the warranty for the steering dampener and related parts.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #187
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I know it is down right ridiculous that Ford can not get this right but they have been messing around with this for literally 15 years so I have no confidence they will ever get it right. On my truck I turned to the aftermarket for help and got it fixed and that is what I suggest everyone does. I understand that is a hard pill to swallow since these trucks are $60-$90k now. I put a high premium on my time so the money I spent on aftermarket parts more than out weighed the tie I would have been jilly jacking with the Ford dealership.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #188
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

But Chevrolet DRL bulbs go out sometimes!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #189
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
But Chevrolet DRL bulbs go out sometimes!
... and injectors, radiators, hubs, hubs, hubs, transmissions, door handles, tailgate handles, back to more injectors, another transmission and all chrome plated plastic Then your good to go
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #190
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
I know it is down right ridiculous that Ford can not get this right but they have been messing around with this for literally 15 years so I have no confidence they will ever get it right. On my truck I turned to the aftermarket for help and got it fixed and that is what I suggest everyone does. I understand that is a hard pill to swallow since these trucks are $60-$90k now. I put a high premium on my time so the money I spent on aftermarket parts more than out weighed the tie I would have been jilly jacking with the Ford dealership.
Been a lot longer than 15 years. My last ford was a 1970 1/2 ton and that worthless piece of junk almost flipped on me more than once. Sometimes I thought the steering wheel would break off in the dash. Worst suspension I ever saw and would wear out a set of tires in 10k miles. Sold it to a sucker and bought a new 1973 3/4 ton Cheby with 454 motor and been a Cheby owner ever since except for one Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 in 1976.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #191
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Been a lot longer than 15 years. My last ford was a 1970 1/2 ton and that worthless piece of junk almost flipped on me more than once. Sometimes I thought the steering wheel would break off in the dash. Worst suspension I ever saw and would wear out a set of tires in 10k miles. Sold it to a sucker and bought a new 1973 3/4 ton Cheby with 454 motor and been a Cheby owner ever since except for one Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 in 1976.
I should have clarified. They have been having this issue with this specific suspension since 2005.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #192
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
... and injectors, radiators, hubs, hubs, hubs, transmissions, door handles, tailgate handles, back to more injectors, another transmission and all chrome plated plastic Then your good to go
That check engine light will burn forever though
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #193
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

That main problem is the ball joint in the arm wears out. Baja (something) makes a aftermarket arm that will prevent 75% of the wobbles. Tie rods also contribute. I think the one from Baja is about $600.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #194
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Chevy and GMC is different so I understand why they don’t have it.
They have it. There is a class action suit against GM.

https://www.classaction.org/escalade...ating-lawsuits

Quote:
General Motors has been hit with a class action lawsuit alleging certain Chevy and GMC vehicles contain a defect that causes them to excessively shake or vibrate when driving at high speeds. The alleged defect is apparently so common that drivers have begun referring to it as the “Death Wobble” or the “Chevy Shake".

Quote:
2015 to 2020 Cadillac Escalade
•2014 to 2020 Chevrolet Silverado
•2015 to 2020 Chevrolet Suburban
•2015 to 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe
•2014 to 2020 GMC Sierra
•2015 to 2020 Yukon and Yukon XL
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #195
glen
Pope & Young

From my understanding all 3 do. It has to do with coil vs leaf springs. Leaf springs and drive shaft and nothing moves side to side. Coil and there is room for movement. There is hardware under the front end to stop the side to side movement. Problem is that it is built with ball joint- ball joints wear and fail
Old 05-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #196
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
From my understanding all 3 do. It has to do with coil vs leaf springs. Leaf springs and drive shaft and nothing moves side to side. Coil and there is room for movement. There is hardware under the front end to stop the side to side movement. Problem is that it is built with ball joint- ball joints wear and fail
Leaf spring locates the axle front to back and side to side. In a coil spring suspension the radius arms locate the axle front to back and the track bar locates the axle side to side. Death wobble is a side to side movement which is why I went with a stronger and adjustable track bar with a better bushing and I have not had death wobble since i put it on well over a 100k miles ago.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #197
glen
Pope & Young

Fordnandez. That is exactly what I was saying. Was your ball joint worn or the bushing on the other side- or both? Also which one did you use if you don’t mind me asking- My truck has 80k on it and about to replace. Baja is $600. Not sure who all makes the kit but I will not put another ball joint under mine
Old 05-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #198
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

I had mine go full death wobble twice and it felt like every time I hit a bump it was just a second away from doing it again. I put on a BDS lift and Fox steering stabilizer and it had rode better than it ever did stock and absolutely no death wobble issues
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #199
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
That check engine light will burn forever though
Thatís because itís Union made....
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #200
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Mine goes in the shop tomorrow morning for the second time same issue DW! Freaking hate this garbage on a 9
Month old truck. We shall see.

Got my truck back today. Had a few recalls and the death wobble issue. Actually the Servuce Manager let me know I had 2 issues. The damper failed again same side as last time. Then I had a part fail at the rotor which would put my truck into death wobble when I hit the brakes at 65. So according to him in February he received new dampers from a new manufacturer. The old ones would continue to fail. He said the Kevlar tires that came on my truck need to go. He said those tires cause to much bounce.

Wish I would have bought a dually.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top