Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #101
Tbone3636
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Iíve got a 2012 I bought new... 195k on it, I work in the oilfield and the truck has been down a ton of bad roads at a high rate of speed lol. Never once experienced DW... my wife is driving a 19 w/ 6k on it with no issues. I did put a 3Ē lift kit w/ 35ís on mine at 28k w/ dual steering stabilizers. I guess I should knock on wood.... I bought my wife the 19í bc of the good luck Iíve had with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tbone3636 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #102
Tbone3636
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Lol! No.
Right at 70k on my 16. Not a lick of trouble on anything. BIL has 140k plus and never any trouble either.
I honestly donít know of anyone personally that has had dw on their Ford.

Same here after the other thread I saw on this I asked a lot of guys I know with fords super dutyís and none had ever experienced this

Tbone3636 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #103
th972043
Nubbin' Buck

My uncle's 2018 had the same problem. Has been in the shop 4 times. He was finally told "These 3/4ton+ vehicles aren't made to be ran down the highway unloaded. That being said, without a load on the vehicle it can be expected to have a death wobble at speeds over 65mph." Joke of an answer in my opinion.
th972043 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #104
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by th972043 View Post
He was finally told "These 3/4ton+ vehicles aren't made to be ran down the highway unloaded. That being said, without a load on the vehicle it can be expected to have a death wobble at speeds over 65mph."
Lol, yeah right. The new 3/4 tons ride as stiff as old half tons used too. My opinion, too many guys are driving a 3/4 ton as a daily driver (Not judging, just observing), and all three brands are now marketing to these people because there is a lot of them out there, and the big three are putting lighter duty equipment on them to make them ride smoother, while still getting a premium price for them.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #105
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Any guesses what percentage of 250s end up with this problem? I have a 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #106
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Dang I wish ford would hire me to be a truck tester, as ever single super duty we have had since 2007 has gotten DW
No level kits or lifts, stock tires, just high way and ranch roads
I donít work in a office or some chemical plant, or use a truck as a grocery getter or mall crawl
Donít ever abuse them just use them to work with and pull a 25 foot power catamaran when I can get time
IMO our 3/4 and 1 ton trucks went south when they quit putting 16 inch rims and went to 18 and 20ís
My trucks always had 235/85/16 mainly with discount tire pathfinder tires or bfg a/t even our expeditionís got 200,000 + miles with out the DW on 16ís
Dang. If I had that kind of luck with them, I think I would buy something else
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #107
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
Any guesses what percentage of 250s end up with this problem? I have a 2016.

Well you have to break that question down. How many F250s get it where the tires have proper levels of tread, the front end is tight, stock tires and rims, proper pressures, and no modifications done to the front of the truck (Level, bigger tires, spacers, etc...).

The amount of death wobble when all those conditions are according to MFG specs is a very small percentage. Michael sounds like a prime example of this, and sounds like the dealer took care of it. Which is good to hear.

So far a lot of the guys on this thread that got it had a failure of one or more of the foregoing components listed. I have a 2012, and it's never concerned me. I have never upgraded anything "just in case" on the front of my truck. Just routine maintenance and repairs.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #108
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Well you have to break that question down. How many F250s get it where the tires have proper levels of tread, the front end is tight, stock tires and rims, proper pressures, and no modifications done to the front of the truck (Level, bigger tires, spacers, etc...).

The amount of death wobble when all those conditions are according to MFG specs is a very small percentage. Michael sounds like a prime example of this, and sounds like the dealer took care of it. Which is good to hear.

So far a lot of the guys on this thread that got it had a failure of one or more of the foregoing components listed. I have a 2012, and it's never concerned me. I have never upgraded anything "just in case" on the front of my truck. Just routine maintenance and repairs.
Great info, thank you. The only changes to my truck from when it came off the line are dents, scratches and addition of an A&M Century Club sticker. Maybe I'll dodge the wobble issue.

Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #109
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
I have some ocean front for sale in Oklahoma I'll make you a good deal on.
What does that even mean? Dale made a legit post. Death wobble in those fordís is dangerous at worst and laughable at best
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #110
Zac
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
What does that even mean? Dale made a legit post. Death wobble in those fordís is dangerous at worst and laughable at best
If you look at what I bolded and italicized in Dale's quote you'll see the context of the joke. And by reading the thread you'll see that I was affected, and take very seriously, the death wobble on these trucks.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #111
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Dang I wish ford would hire me to be a truck tester, as ever single super duty we have had since 2007 has gotten DW
No level kits or lifts, stock tires, just high way and ranch roads
I donít work in a office or some chemical plant, or use a truck as a grocery getter or mall crawl
Donít ever abuse them just use them to work with and pull a 25 foot power catamaran when I can get time
IMO our 3/4 and 1 ton trucks went south when they quit putting 16 inch rims and went to 18 and 20ís
My trucks always had 235/85/16 mainly with discount tire pathfinder tires or bfg a/t even our expeditionís got 200,000 + miles with out the DW on 16ís
Why would you keep buying Fords with that history?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #112
CodyWitt
Six Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

My 18 started it today....
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #113
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post

My brother got it on his 2019 when he had like 30,000 miles, stock everything except for a front replacement bumper on the front and a flat bed on the back, Ford ďfixedĒ it then he got it again about a month later. This truck is used for hauling as well so itís not just a grocery getter. He hasnít had it again and he did replace the tires on it at about 45,000 miles.

Itís a c*** shoot if you get it or not I personally think, I think it has a lot to do with the steering stabilizer and the c*** tires the trucks come with as he does have the 18Ē wheels on his truck, but I donít get why 18Ē wheels matter.

My dad and uncle have never gotten it in there 17 dually or 19 F250 though.
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #114
Zac
Four Point

Just replaced the steering stabilizer shock on my friends 2019 that I mentioned above. His factory stabilizer was as bad or worse than mine.

I can only speak for certain on 2019's but for anyone with the 17+ body style I would highly recommend looking at the stabilizer shock. Moving the shock by hand feels like internals that keep the fluid separated (and create the dampening effect) are failing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #115
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
I have some ocean front for sale in Oklahoma I'll make you a good deal on.
Now Zac, I have been told here repeatedly that the blue oval stared bankruptcy in the face, buckled down, and pulled themselves out of the ditch of financial ruin.......WITHOUT taking the bail out like Government Motors, and Flipped Out Mirror did...how dare you suggest FoMoCo had their hand out too!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #116
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Just replaced the steering stabilizer shock on my friends 2019 that I mentioned above. His factory stabilizer was as bad or worse than mine.

I can only speak for certain on 2019's but for anyone with the 17+ body style I would highly recommend looking at the stabilizer shock. Moving the shock by hand feels like internals that keep the fluid separated (and create the dampening effect) are failing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I have had trucks that I drove for 20 years and never replaced a steering stabilizer why would one on a 2019 need to be replaced? Seems way premature to me
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #117
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have had trucks that I drove for 20 years and never replaced a steering stabilizer why would one on a 2019 need to be replaced? Seems way premature to me
Because the steering stabilizer is the part that's covering up the monumental design flaw in the $70k dollar trucks. But no one wants to admit that...
Old 01-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #118
Zac
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Now Zac, I have been told here repeatedly that the blue oval stared bankruptcy in the face, buckled down, and pulled themselves out of the ditch of financial ruin.......WITHOUT taking the bail out like Government Motors, and Flipped Out Mirror did...how dare you suggest FoMoCo had their hand out too!
I guess I'm just not a true believer. Am I kicked out of the club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I would imagine not every one of your trucks had the same steering stabilizer. Some things are made of a higher quality than others. I would also imagine that Ford put a steering stabilizer from the same manufacturer on most of their trucks built in 2019 as it is more cost effective to buy in bulk. This particular part happened to be made poorly and is failing. I'm 2/2 on failed stabilizer shocks on 2019 Ford F-250's and Ford is apparently thousands of units on backorder for a warranty replacement of this part...but maybe I'm drawing the wrong conclusions.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #119
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I guess I'm just not a true believer. Am I kicked out of the club?

Turn in your Blue oval fan boy card, and driveway oil stain removal kit.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #120
100%TtId
Ten Point

What's the recommended reaction to handling a DW episode while at speed on the road?
Hard braking, let off throttle and coast, etc?

You folks that have experienced it, let others know how to avoid a crash.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #121
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
What's the recommended reaction to handling a DW episode while at speed on the road?

For true death wobble everyone I have heard of just gripped the wheel tightly with both hands and shouted OH ***** over and over until they got stopped.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #122
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
For true death wobble everyone I have heard of just gripped the wheel tightly with both hands and shouted OH ***** over and over until they got stopped.

Pretty much sums it up.

After about the 4th time I told my buddy I was going to see if I could ďaccelerate out of it.Ē I tried...it didnít work. Not a recommended strategy!LOL!

Hold tight and brake is about the only remedy. If possible, try to ease to the shoulder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #123
Zac
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post

All I could do was let off the throttle and let it do it's thing. Started at 75+mph and stopped when I got under 40-45. Braking seemed to make it worse and I couldn't manhandle nor whip the steering wheel to make it stop.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #124
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Why would you keep buying Fords with that history?
I personally have just switched from a f350 to a Chevy
But I donít put in the purchase orders for the company stuff but do get lots of feedback from lots of repís , and vendors
My wife works for usaa and will probably never ever even ride in a
F250-350 due to her and I getting DW in our trucks and seeing and hearing about usaa clients wrecking or losing control from DW
( she is so particular about it that she gets nervous/ frightened
Driving on I-10 between the cement barricades near a ford truck)
Here is my mother in lawís car after a truck pulling a trailer hit a rough spot and lost control and smashed my family
So DW is kinda a pet peeve, especially when the dealerships tell me itís all in my head
This is like the flushot argument some people never get the shot then kill grandma and their 3 month old baby with the flu, most folks seem to get DW at some point but some donít
Attached Images

pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #125
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Did ford take bailout $?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:32 PM   #126
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime1982 View Post
Did ford take bailout $?

No.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #127
Tbar
Ten Point

When mine started I couldn't get it to stop until I pulled off to the shoulder and slowed to 20 miles an hour with traffic blasting past me. Wild!
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #128
rolylane6
Four Point

I had an 07 f250 that had DW. Extremely scary stuff at 70 mph. I took it in to dealership and they rebuilt the front end and put a "new Ford designed" stabilizer bracket on which supposedly changed the angle that it was positioned at and service manager went as far as to admit that it was a design flaw. I said, oh well they're going to warranty it then since it's a design flaw right? Service manager said no, it isn't a recall. I threw a fit but it didn't do any good. In the end I was out $2500 but it fixed the issue. To add insult to injury, about a year later I got a letter in the mail from Ford saying they're study on these DW issues had determined that it was due to customers not maintaining proper air pressure in their tires. I sent them a letter back asking when I could expect to receive reimbursement for the $2500 they swindled me out of then for improper diagnosis and repairs. You will probably be shocked to hear that I never heard back from them or received a cent. I can't believe though, that 12 years later, Ford still hasn't fixed this problem and is still apparently getting away with it and not being held accountable.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #129
Zac
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime1982 View Post
Did ford take bailout $?

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
No.
Ford didn't get it from TARP like the others did but they did take $5.9 billion from TALF. Different acronym, same government.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #130
MikeyG
Ten Point

I donít understand....if this is such a problem, then why hasnít it happened to my Ď17 250? 51k miles. Whatís different about yours?

MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 11:08 PM   #131
Michael
Administrator

It doesnít happen to them all, but the fact that there is (at least) a FIFTEEN THOUSAND unit backorder for the part required to fix it (for warranty repairs only) might indicate that itís a significant issue, no?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #132
Michael
Administrator

Just a follow up. Mark met me at the shop yesterday so I could get my pickup on my way through Schulenberg. So far so good! Thanks Mark!

Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #133
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Safe travels Michael.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #134
TxAgHntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County; Williamson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
I donít understand....if this is such a problem, then why hasnít it happened to my Ď17 250? 51k miles. Whatís different about yours?

Not sure. Too many variables in play. Some trucks go 100k plus or more. Mine had it happen below 30k. Itís a 17, 250.
TxAgHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #135
Floor Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County & State of Colorado

Got my new stabilizer as well. So far so good.

Floor Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #136
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Happened on my 2019 F350 today while puling a trailer. 10500 miles.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #137
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Happened on my 2019 F350 today while puling a trailer. 10500 miles.

Bone stock, leveling kit, lift kit? Bigger tires or wider rims?

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #138
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Bone stock, leveling kit, lift kit? Bigger tires or wider rims?

Sierracharlie outÖ
Bone stock
Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #139
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Bone stock

Interesting

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #140
BUCKSTAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: sin lŪmite rancho
Default Bail

Ford was the first.
Ford Credit received its bailout from the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility, not TARP.
BUCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #141
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

I asked 8 people I know who have a 2016 or newer and everyone has had death wobble.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #142
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
I asked 8 people I know who have a 2016 or newer and everyone has had death wobble.
I have 4 family members with 2016's and up. None have had it except me. 1 member was actually with me when it happened. Now hes worried.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:45 PM   #143
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
I donít know of anyone who has had it...
I have a 16 with 65k miles.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #144
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

I hear that this "Mark" guy can be easily bought for a 12 pack of Miller Lite.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #145
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post

All are different. Type of tires, pressure in those tires, the shocks installed, miles, angle of the front of the truck (Pulling a trailer or not), weight on the front tires, proper maintenance, gas vs diesel, there are a million variables. Too many people leave out variables to figure out what the common denominator is in the problem, and it's likely a combination of several variables.

I have 149k on mine, never had it, even with blown shocks.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #146
Parramore
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmu.../#662d3a66735e

Ford owes us all 5.9 Billion Dollars. Not sure why people think they didnt get paid too. Who wants to bet they default on that amount and have to go chapter 11 along with GM 10 years ago. They took the money and still want your soul to be traumatized with the DW. They are all a bunch of crooks.
Parramore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #147
delgadoda
Spike

So what part needs replacing to fix the cord death wobble
delgadoda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #148
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Death wobble is a side to side movement and the part that locates the axle side to side is the track bar. People upgrade the steering stabilizers to control it but I am of the opinion that this is treating the symptoms not the disease. I upgraded to an aftermarket track bar with a poly bushing and I have not had an issue since. I was leveled on 37's for many 50k and have had another 50k on 35's. Have not had death wobble with either set up since I went with the BD diesel track bar. It is also adjustable so it was able to recenter my axle under the truck which was an added bonus.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #149
Chad_E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
I hear that this "Mark" guy can be easily bought for a 12 pack of Miller Lite.
Incorrect. You've received bad information.

It's Busch Light.
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #150
PNOAK
Six Point

Hunt In: Laredo,,Giddings

Anyone recommend a shop that can do the work to fix it? I have not had it happen, but I can tell you there is a huge difference in my front end on my 19 as compared to the 17,the 19 just feels sloppy and rough. Bone stock.
PNOAK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top