Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

I experienced the Ford "death wobble" on my 2019 F250 (company truck) when it was just shy of 25k miles. I drove it for a little while, but it started occurring more frequently. When it happened to me twice on I10 near Brookshire - where there are concrete barriers on either side and nowhere to stop other than middle of the freeway - I decided it was time to get it fixed. I called my wife and told her to meet me at the Ford Dealership in Schulenberg. That was on November 22.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that our good friend, SAC, was the service manager at the dealership. Mark has been more than forthcoming about the struggles of dealing with this issue with Ford. Unfortunately, the backorder for the part indicated by Ford's service bulletin for repair has been as high as 15,000 units on backorder, and it's growing faster than they can get parts shipped to their dealers.

Fortunately, I have my personal vehicle that I have been able to drive, and it was a minor inconvenience over the Thanksgiving, Christmas and year end holidays. However, with things picking back up for me at the beginning of the year, I finally had to request a rental from my company. Unfortunately, I'm not sure, yet, if Ford is going to pick up the tab or if it will be passed along from our fleet vendor to the company.

Friday will mark 7 weeks that my vehicle has been at the dealership awaiting the part. I know all manufacturers occasionally have various issues, but I can't believe that Ford has been unable to resolve the issue with the "death wobble." I've driven Chevy trucks since I sold my '78 Bronco in 1988 and had decided my next vehicle purchase would likely be a Ford. I was excited when my company put me in a new '19 F250 last year but, even before this, I was really disappointed with the way it drives. I'm even more disappointed and frustrated with Ford's inability to fix my issue.

I know Mark is in a difficult position and I appreciate his help and for keeping me updated throughout the process. I now wish he wasn't the service manager, though, because I really want to vent my frustrations to somebody and Mark is just too nice of a guy to yell at!

As of now, there is still no estimate for when it will be repaired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Dang that sucks man! Hope they get it straightened out for you. Death wobble is no joke, had it happen to me a couple months ago in my '12 Jeep. Replaced tie rod, drag link, track bar and ball joints. At least you aren't having to foot the bill for the repairs!
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Michael the Ford Warranty fix is just a Bandaid fix. They use the same crappy factory parts or that has been my experience. For a permanent go heavy duty aftermarket or buy a Chevy
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

It is absolutely laughable that a company the size of FoMoCo can't eliminate a problem known as "death wobble" on a $75k dollar truck.

At least they didn't take a bail out!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

After my experiences with death wobble, I wont own another F250 until this problem is really fixed. Everybody I know can't believe I am driving a Chevrolet now.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

Yell at him anyway.
He should be working at a Chevy dealership instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RobinHood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
It is absolutely laughable that a company the size of FoMoCo can't eliminate a problem known as "death wobble" on a $75k dollar truck.

Chevy finally put the same bulb used in check engine light in their running lights and fixed that issue.

I hear about this on forums and I may have a problem this evening, but I know a looottttt of people driving super dutyís and none have had this issue.

Hope it gets resolved Michael
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

I had this happen on my 2013 F-250 this past year and it is frightening. I had my mechanic take it out for run and it didn't happen util he hit a small dip in the road. He used aftermarket parts and this should be the end of that problem. Death Wobble is no joke.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Until Ford admits and fixes the caster angle problem it will never get fixed. Of course when the angle is corrected by aftermarket parts it slightly increases the turn radius. It will now only take a 2 acre lot to make a full 360 turn
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

You can always yell at Marks boss to make you feel better! Iím sure he would appreciate that.

Iíve found with dealerships sometimes you have to get in someoneís azz to get the point across. With it being a fleet truck idk how that can change things but if it was a personal vehicle Iíd be having a face to face with someone.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Until Ford admits and fixes the caster angle problem it will never get fixed. Of course when the angle is corrected by aftermarket parts it slightly increases the turn radius. It will now only take a 2 acre lot to make a full 360 turn
What aftermarket part or parts is needed to fix this. I need to fix it on my 2012
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I will be cheaper for your company in the long run to take the truck to a good front end shop and get any worn parts replaced (track bar ball joint) and correct the alignment with additional castor angle and be done with it once and for all.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

The Death Wobble is the entire reason I am not in a Super Duty. Love everything about the trucks but not dealing with that issue on a truck that costs that much.

Hope they get your problem truly solved Michael.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin View Post
After my experiences with death wobble, I wont own another F250 until this problem is really fixed. Everybody I know can't believe I am driving a Chevrolet now.
IMO ford is just chasing the dragons tail with the death wobble
Those hard heads could engineer a IFS eliminating the DW
But that would mean admission of incompetence by ford engineers
$75000+ for a new truck and no results
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #16
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
You can always yell at Marks boss to make you feel better! Iím sure he would appreciate that.

Iíve found with dealerships sometimes you have to get in someoneís azz to get the point across. With it being a fleet truck idk how that can change things but if it was a personal vehicle Iíd be having a face to face with someone.

Sierracharlie outÖ
If it was a personal vehicle, I'd be sitting in somebody's office in Dearborn by now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

I dropped of my 2019 f250 for the same on December 2nd picked it up on 12-28-19
in boerne at ford dealership. my steering stabilizer was shot 31000 miles
JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #18
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
I can tell this guy needs to be banned.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #19
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

I have a 2018 and have been lucky not to have this issue. I had it in an old Chevy I had and it is definitely not fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #20
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

I had it happen a few times in my 2013 or 14 and a new set of tires solved the problem. Drove it for another 75k miles and never happened again.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #21
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’ve had it in my 17’ 350. When it happens again, and it will, then I’ll fix it the right way. I let the dealership fix it with warranty last time. I’ll replace the entire front end with aftermarket trac bar, steering stabilizers, and correct the caster while at it. Still beats the last few GMs I’ve had.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #22
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES45LC View Post
I dropped of my 2019 f250 for the same on December 2nd picked it up on 12-28-19
in boerne at ford dealership. my steering stabilizer was shot 31000 miles
In a different post about the sales team at Ford of Boerne lying about the problem being fixed, the sales team and the service team there where near to physical confrontation when sales was swearing it was fixed and the service manager heatedly pointed out an ocean of brand new 250ís and 350ís waiting to be DW warranty fixed, the only thing they could agree about was a 450, 550 had a different front end
If I wanted a chassis cab doully that day I probably could have made a good deal price wise
But I cannot trust the sales team at ford of boerne to not try and skin me in some shape or fashion
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Maybe a little time in the cooler will get him to stepping.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #24
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:

I was considering a is250 for my next truck but maybe I'll be on hold

Wait, ford didnt take any bailout $$?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
Chad_E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co.

Michael, I think you should rip this SAC guy a new one. I mean, just look at his username. You know he's got to be a piece of work!
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #26
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_E View Post
Michael, I think you should rip this SAC guy a new one. I mean, just look at his username. You know he's got to be a piece of work!
Trust me. He wanted to.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #27
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I've got a 2019 F250 and this past weekend it happened to me 3 times. The 3rd time I was doing 75 on Hwy 287. Very freighting. I was able to get to the shoulder to stop without getting hit. I immediately called the Ford house and my truck is going in tomorrow. They said it will take 7 to 8 weeks for part but I can take my truck back home tomorrow. They said they need to look at something to see what part #. They should know what part # my opinion
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #28
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
In a different post about the sales team at Ford of Boerne lying about the problem being fixed, the sales team and the service team there where near to physical confrontation when sales was swearing it was fixed and the service manager heatedly pointed out an ocean of brand new 250ís and 350ís waiting to be DW warranty fixed, the only thing they could agree about was a 450, 550 had a different front end

If I wanted a chassis cab doully that day I probably could have made a good deal price wise

But I cannot trust the sales team at ford of boerne to not try and skin me in some shape or fashion

Who did you deal with ?
Allen Hester is who helped me , that sucks they gave you the run around he was very good to deal with .

JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #29
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

The death wobble is the reason we passed on an F-250 for the wife. Last thing I wanted to worry about with her and my 3 year old.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #30
Bisch
Pope & Young

Hope you get it back soon Michael!!!!

Question: is this only on F250ís. Iím in the market for a truck, but am looking at probably getting an F150. Just want to make sure itís not an issue on those too!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #31
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime1982 View Post
I was considering a is250 for my next truck but maybe I'll be on hold

Wait, ford didnt take any bailout $$?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
They keep having this problem they might need more than a bailout. That's some scary stuff pulling a trailer

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #32
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES45LC View Post
Who did you deal with ?
Allen Hester is who helped me , that sucks they gave you the run around he was very good to deal with .

Canít remember, we bought a Ford Escape from them when it was Anderson and that was fairly painless , went back expecting same
And the lies and hookus pokus math started, then the junior sales guy harassed me till I blocked him
Still deal with the service department there
Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #33
Huntingfool
Eight Point

I have bought Fords for 30 plus years - trade every 2-3 years - my guess is I have bought 10 new Ford trucks. Always loved them.
Then a few years ago I bought a King Ranch - my computer screen goes out so I take it in - a module blew out - they replaced it under warranty.

Few months later it goes out again - I am out of my warranty - they say $1000 to put a new module in. I go all the way up to corporate - took some time but I am persistent.

My dealership blew me off. Corporate blew me off at first. Finally they took care of it - should have been a recall.

The death wobble is way more dangerous - I am afraid Ford is digging its own grave.

Next purchase is a Ram for me
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #34
JB_Archery
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

Crappy deal! My 2018 f-250 has not had the problem and I have 63k on it right now. I did put upgraded heavier duty shocks on the front and back but not sure if that helped in anyway with this issue... my Dad had the issue in his 2014 f-250.

Hopefully they get their arms around this soon... especially getting you your truck back!
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #35
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Hope you get it back soon Michael!!!!

Question: is this only on F250ís. Iím in the market for a truck, but am looking at probably getting an F150. Just want to make sure itís not an issue on those too!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
google reviews on Ford trucks period - not good - if they do not address some of these issues they will fade away eventually
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #36
toledo
Ten Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

No excuse for this BS in a new truck. Death wobble has been around for 50+ years.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #37
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. It’s nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully they’re not using this a “fix” for what sounds like a widespread problem.
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #38
WRasco
Six Point

Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical BH View Post
Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. Itís nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully theyíre not using this a ďfixĒ for what sounds like a widespread problem.
X2
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #39
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=754937
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #40
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

That sucks.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #41
Floor Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County & State of Colorado

Picked mine up today. It was in the shop 3 weeks and they said another 4-6 until they get the new stabilizer. Itís really just a band aid anyway for the bigger problem. Iíve been a ford driver for years but this is testing my patience.

Floor Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #42
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. Itís nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully theyíre not using this a ďfixĒ for what sounds like a widespread problem.

Pretty much but a new stabilizer or preferably dual stabilizers will help protect steering components from wear which in turn can deter wobble.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #43
aoudad
Eight Point

One dealer replaced my steering stabilizer on my 2019 after 25k miles........ started right back up after a couple thousand miles...... Iím at 42k and another dealer says he can adjust the caster angle in the front axle and fix it. If not Iím trading in for a RAM

I love everything about my F250 except driving it
aoudad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #44
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
What aftermarket part or parts is needed to fix this. I need to fix it on my 2012
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/1...xoC6H4QAvD_BwE
Old 01-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #45
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

https://www.mccunewright.com/blog/20...class-action-/
Old 01-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. It’s nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully they’re not using this a “fix” for what sounds like a widespread problem.
True dat! It's because of an incorrect angle and non adjustable caster alignment. Negative caster adjustment is what causes it. The only problem is positive caster alignment increases the turn radius. Ford elected to use a jigged non adjustable caster setup to save $$$ during assembly/mfg. Also to allow for a shorter turn radius to compete with the other truck mfgrs. This also means the truck does not have to go thru a caster alignment process coming down the assembly line. Again, the bean counters doing what they do best.

Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment than the stock truck is capable of.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #47
pilar
Ten Point

off The web
Muzzle break beat me to it ^^^^

“”Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment””
Old 01-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #48
texasair
Eight Point

Is this death wobble limited to the 4 wheel drive trucks or does the 2 wheel drive F 250's get it too?
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #49
tomcat8910
Ten Point

Hunt In: polk,walker and san jacinto county

My 2019 Ford F-250 started the death wobble at 27,000 miles. Got it fixed and traded it in. Service manager was honest and said it would probably happen again after new parts got a few thousand miles on it! My family uses my truck every so often, so I didn’t want to take a chance of this happening with them driving it.
tomcat8910 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #50
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:
Yep, a buddy is running these on his 17 F250, no issues since he installed them and had a frame alignment shop set the castor right. Factory suspension with a 3 inch level.

Quote:
True dat! It's because of an incorrect angle and non adjustable caster alignment. Negative caster adjustment is what causes it. The only problem is positive caster alignment increases the turn radius. Ford elected to use a jigged non adjustable caster setup to save $$$ during assembly/mfg. Also to allow for a shorter turn radius to compete with the other truck mfgrs. This also means the truck does not have to go thru a caster alignment process coming down the assembly line. Again, the bean counters doing what they do best.

Alterations like installation of a suspension lift or levelling kit can cause the steering pivot axis and tire position to swing rearward resulting in negative castor. This results in wandering, wobble, pulling and stiff steering. Even larger tires can exaggerate the problem and require more positive castor adjustment than the stock truck is capable of.

Spot on, Rams/Jeeps, basically anything solid front axle are subject to this as well, but getting the castor and alignment set right makes it non issue. Thuren suspension has a great write up about it for the Ram trucks, but could spill over to Ford as well.

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-handling.html
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top