Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #751
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
What Lake are you guiding on? Iím from Matagorda, Wednesdayís are my days off.
Thanks
I can do Palestine. Fork. Tawakoni or pines. Palestine is gonna be the closest to you. I have folks drive from Houston and meet me about 9-930 and we fish and they go home that night sometimes. Wednesdayís are a great day for me. Momma doesnít go to work till late
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #752
Cantcatch5
Ten Point
 
Cantcatch5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Heck yeah! He looks dried out in that picture!!

Even got Craig in the background!
Yea, he eventually dried out...it took a while for me to stop laughing so that I could pull him back in the boat LOL! He is definitely a good fisherman and a great sidekick but graceful he is not! I was proud he didnít let go of his rod and didnít lose his sunglasses or flip flops 🤣 Craig loaded right behind us and Clay was just before us.

Saltwater Stalker that is actually the worst fish cleaning station on Palestine...it could be improved with some rock, itís a mud hole around it. The villages is better (you donít have to haul off the guts there) and I have heard there is one up north at Westbury Landing that is even better.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #753
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

I booked a guided trip with Slew for my son's graduation. We went to Lake Fork, but delayed the trip for an hour to let some thunderstorms pass by before launching. The forecast called for 8-10 mph, but we had 15-20 mph all day. Because of the high winds, he wasn't able to fish where he had planned to. We culled most crappie that were shorter than 12" and still cleaned about 47. Todd's a great guy, and he definitely knows how to find and catch crappie. We fished standing timber using Garmin Livescope, which is awesome. We were glad to be in his sweet Ranger, it handled the white caps and rollers great. Logan and I are both fried, we used sun screen, but should have reapplied it several more times during the day. Anyone looking for a crappie guide in NE TX should contact Todd.

I'll post a picture or two from my laptop, since I don't have Tap-a-crap Pro anymore.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #754
Keith
Administrator
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Sulphur Springs, TX
Default

Here are a few pictures. As you can see both Logan and I have not been able to get haircuts since the Covid-19 junk a couple of months ago.
Attached Images
     
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #755
BarW
Eight Point
 
BarW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodville, Tx
Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado
Default

Got enough for a small fish fry this time.
Pontoon boats are thick as the hair on a dogs back right now. I'm praying most of them boys dont know how to fish cause if they do crappie are gonna be endangered.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #756
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I booked a guided trip with Slew for my son's graduation. We went to Lake Fork, but delayed the trip for an hour to let some thunderstorms pass by before launching. The forecast called for 8-10 mph, but we had 15-20 mph all day. Because of the high winds, he wasn't able to fish where he had planned to. We culled most crappie that were shorter than 12" and still cleaned about 47. Todd's a great guy, and he definitely knows how to find and catch crappie. We fished standing timber using Garmin Livescope, which is awesome. We were glad to be in his sweet Ranger, it handled the white caps and rollers great. Logan and I are both fried, we used sun screen, but should have reapplied it several more times during the day. Anyone looking for a crappie guide in NE TX should contact Todd.

I'll post a picture or two from my laptop, since I don't have Tap-a-crap Pro anymore.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks again! Hope yíall enjoy your fish fry tomorrow! Beat up on some lake Fork crappie again on todayís trip. Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and cooking ribs! The wind was a repeat of yesterday almost! March winds in May!! Dang! Them little Richland chambers crappie better look out next weekend
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #757
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Here are a few pictures. As you can see both Logan and I have not been able to get haircuts since the Covid-19 junk a couple of months ago.

Man! I can't believe how much Logan has grown!


And I wouldn't have recognized ya with that long hair Keith.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #758
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

I turned a trip down for Monday while I was cleaning fish Sunday! I shoulda took em. Looked like weather was gonna be terrible with high winds and storms so I told em I was gonna relax at home and cook some ribs! That didn't happen at all!

I cleaned out gutters, patched drywall, moved furniture, my mean old lady had me hopping all day! Wished I was on the lake!

Looking at my calendar this morning I have June 13, 21, 27-28 available and a could work a couple weekdays into the mix. Crappie tourneys are starting to crank back up so I'm gonna sweat my butt off in July, August, and Sept making up what we missed out on the last couple months. Quachita river 3x, Grenada, and Table Rock are on the schedule outside of the local CAT stuff we plan to attend. Going to miss the Texoma tourney this year to go to Quachita, but the folks I wanted to beat are going to be at Quachita too!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #759
Chew
Pope & Young
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kingwood, TX
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post



Looking at my calendar this morning I have June 13, 21, 27-28 available and a could work a couple weekdays into the mix.
My wife should be calling you soon. She and her friend are dead set on going on a crappie trip and filling the ice chest.

Better behave yo self boy!

I told them that you won the world crappie fishing championship in Yokohama Japan or something like that.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #760
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
My wife should be calling you soon. She and her friend are dead set on going on a crappie trip and filling the ice chest.

Better behave yo self boy!

I told them that you won the world crappie fishing championship in Yokohama Japan or something like that.
Thatís awesome!! My old lady or daughter either one will fish with me!! Iíve won a championship kinda like that but different!!

I booked a couple weekday trips today. Sure beats sitting in an office all day. Iím lousy office peeps.
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #761
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Did a quick instructional trip on lake Tyler this morning. Roy has had Livescope a couple months but didnít know how to use it properly! He does now! Those lake Tyler fish are in trouble now. If your gonna spend $3-4K to get the equipment Itís pretty cost effective to get somebody to show you how to use it! He was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning 15 minutes into the trip!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #762
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Did a quick instructional trip on lake Tyler this morning. Roy has had Livescope a couple months but didnít know how to use it properly! He does now! Those lake Tyler fish are in trouble now. If your gonna spend $3-4K to get the equipment Itís pretty cost effective to get somebody to show you how to use it! He was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning 15 minutes into the trip!
I need you to look at mine sir

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #763
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I need you to look at mine sir

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Might cost you a jug of peanut oil!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #764
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Might cost you a jug of peanut oil!
Covered

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #765
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Caught three nice ones off the bridge on waco real quick. Then boat traffic and wind I decided to go try my luck at piles. Once again nada. I think I'm throwing my orange buoy wrong or something! Haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #766
hogslayer78
Pope & Young
 
hogslayer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Porter, Tx
Hunt In: San Augustine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Caught three nice ones off the bridge on waco real quick. Then boat traffic and wind I decided to go try my luck at piles. Once again nada. I think I'm throwing my orange buoy wrong or something! Haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Do you have a graph up front also with the transducer on the trolling motor? You should be able to see the brush pile on the graph when you get on top of it.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #767
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post
Do you have a graph up front also with the transducer on the trolling motor? You should be able to see the brush pile on the graph when you get on top of it.
No. I just have the rear transducer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #768
Slew
Pope & Young
 
Slew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lindale, TX
Hunt In: nowhere close to home
Default

Had Trip and his son AJ on Palestine yesterday. They were on their way back to Houston and wanted to see if they could get a couple hours in and catch a few fish. Trip likes to crappie fish and wanted to get his boy liking it! Got out later than I was hoping for but work had me busy. Caught fish at every stop slinging slabs over the rails with the Jenkos but they were dinks and barely legal fish. My trolling motor is acting up and I canít turn the power over 4 or it shuts off! Wind finally laid down enough to go out and fish the timber and we put a decent mess together before they had to head back. Cleaned 31 crappie and 2 cats including both Trip and AJs PB. Headed up to Fork this morning to see if they can get the TM fixed so we can head to the crappie get together.
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 07:44 AM   #769
scjeeptx
Ten Point
 
scjeeptx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bedford
Default

Probably preaching to the choir at this point, but if you want to catch crappie, book with Slew. I've known him for a little over ten years, our wives are best buds from A&M. While he made a horrible choice when selecting a college, the boy can flat put you on the fish. Its kinda weird, but dang close to being on a fishing show, but without editing! Great guy and fisherman.

I think he plans to sell his gps waypoints when he retires and buy the King Ranch.
scjeeptx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #770
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Found a brush pile this morning. Threw my little orange buoy out, and caught some! That was exciting. Too windy to fish anywhere else. I called it quits early. Pulled 5 and the big one was a touch over 13". Eating fish today!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com