Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    From my understanding all 3 do. It has to do with coil vs leaf springs. Leaf springs and drive shaft and nothing moves side to side. Coil and there is room for movement. There is hardware under the front end to stop the side to side movement. Problem is that it is built with ball joint- ball joints wear and fail
    Leaf spring locates the axle front to back and side to side. In a coil spring suspension the radius arms locate the axle front to back and the track bar locates the axle side to side. Death wobble is a side to side movement which is why I went with a stronger and adjustable track bar with a better bushing and I have not had death wobble since i put it on well over a 100k miles ago.

Comment

Fordnandez. That is exactly what I was saying. Was your ball joint worn or the bushing on the other side- or both? Also which one did you use if you don’t mind me asking- My truck has 80k on it and about to replace. Baja is $600. Not sure who all makes the kit but I will not put another ball joint under mine

Comment

I had mine go full death wobble twice and it felt like every time I hit a bump it was just a second away from doing it again. I put on a BDS lift and Fox steering stabilizer and it had rode better than it ever did stock and absolutely no death wobble issues

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          That check engine light will burn forever though
          That’s because it’s Union made....

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
            Mine goes in the shop tomorrow morning for the second time same issue DW! Freaking hate this garbage on a 9
            Month old truck. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my truck back today. Had a few recalls and the death wobble issue. Actually the Servuce Manager let me know I had 2 issues. The damper failed again same side as last time. Then I had a part fail at the rotor which would put my truck into death wobble when I hit the brakes at 65. So according to him in February he received new dampers from a new manufacturer. The old ones would continue to fail. He said the Kevlar tires that came on my truck need to go. He said those tires cause to much bounce.

Wish I would have bought a dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since I will be in the market for a new truck soon Ive been keeping up with this thread.
              I had a 72 ford 2 wheel drive with the DW. It was the track bar wear at that time. I can't imagine that steering stabilizer fixed any issue except for temporarily. Those type of fixes usually just work to mask the real issue. Its disappointing that a person can spend that kind of money for a new vehicle and have an issue like DW. I test drove a chevy 3 years ago and it had a vibration or slight shimmy that was weird. Course the sales guy couldn't feel it. Went and got another new one of the lot and it did it too. The sales guy finally admitted they have had some problems after I said I wasn't buying a $60K truck that rode worse than my current truck(2005). Its just a shame that the manufacturer's can string this type of thing along for their customers. I still think ford makes the best looking trucks out there, Im just scared to buy one. I dont know what brand to get anymore.

Comment

Goto Baja Custom and look at Superduty Trac Bar. They have a video and it shows the upgrade- In my opinion getting rid of the ball joint was the key

Comment

Fordnandez. That is exactly what I was saying. Was your ball joint worn or the bushing on the other side- or both? Also which one did you use if you don’t mind me asking- My truck has 80k on it and about to replace. Baja is $600. Not sure who all makes the kit but I will not put another ball joint under mine
                  I see what you are saying now, when you said ball joints I thought you meant the joint where the C of the axle meets the spindle. The bushing on mine seemed worn but the ball joint/rod end/whatever you want to call it was fine. I went with the BD Diesel one. It is adjustable and has poly bushings, I got it on a sale and I want to say it was mid $300's.

Comment

Goto Baja Custom and look at Superduty Trac Bar. They have a video and it shows the upgrade- In my opinion getting rid of the ball joint was the key
                    Holy cow that is slick. Not sure if this was available when I did mine or I just didn't know about it but that looks like the way to go. The only negative that I could think of is that you won't have a lot of adjustment, only the shank of the hiem joint at the frame side. Stock and leveled it probably will be fine but taller lifts might be an issue.

Comment

Wow, I didn’t realize the newer models were having such issues. If they are giving these issues why are people still buying them? They do look good.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck24 View Post
                        Wow, I didn’t realize the newer models were having such issues. If they are giving these issues why are people still buying them? They do look good.
                        It’s so common I know dozens of people with them .... and none have or know anyone that has had it.

Not saying it don’t happen but I’ve drove em since 04’ and never had it. Might tomorrow but not to date or know anyone who has

Comment

Not to steer around this Ford issue but I have a JD105 lawn tractor that will dang near throw you off when you go across the cattle guard! It’s almost a “sudden death wobble” You better hang on!

Sorry you fellows are battling with this.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                            Not to steer around this Ford issue
                            Nice Pun. I see what you did.

Comment

I don't think mine falls under the death wobble, but here is what I have been dealing with.

It is knocking noise when going slow or turning and don't hear it at higher speeds. Also, it goes away when you shift into 4A or 4H 4L.

Just for grins we turned into a 2wd truck and removed the front drive shaft. The noise completely went away by doing this. I have no clue if this helps anyone narrow it down some or not. It was just nice to not have that knocking sound for a while.

The transfer case was replaced. The front actuators were replaced. New 4wd vacuum control solenoid. And of course it is still doing it.

We even stuck a gopro underneath and drove it around. It looked like when we heard the nocking noise the 4wd was engaging and disengaging. This will really make it hard for me to get a Ford again. I know all trucks have there issues, but I'm ready to take my chances with another one after this mess.

It looks like my quick search on the web that others have had similar problems. I just thought I would add it if anyone on her has or might have the problem in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                                I don't think mine falls under the death wobble, but here is what I have been dealing with.

It is knocking noise when going slow or turning and don't hear it at higher speeds. Also, it goes away when you shift into 4A or 4H 4L.

Just for grins we turned into a 2wd truck and removed the front drive shaft. The noise completely went away by doing this. I have no clue if this helps anyone narrow it down some or not. It was just nice to not have that knocking sound for a while.

The transfer case was replaced. The front actuators were replaced. New 4wd vacuum control solenoid. And of course it is still doing it.

We even stuck a gopro underneath and drove it around. It looked like when we heard the nocking noise the 4wd was engaging and disengaging. This will really make it hard for me to get a Ford again. I know all trucks have there issues, but I'm ready to take my chances with another one after this mess.

It looks like my quick search on the web that others have had similar problems. I just thought I would add it if anyone on her has or might have the problem in the future.

Every time I hear of a mysterious nock I’m reminded of the body mounts on my 2011 failing bad at ~90k miles.

It’s free to check, might be worth a look. When they are bad the odd clunks are hard to track down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X