Putting in a limestone pad for parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting in a limestone pad for parking

I am putting in a parking area at my house. I plan on using limestone for the improved surface. I used our tractor with tiller to break up the black clay and I removed about 1' foot of soil. I plan on putting down a weed barrier then back fill. Is it better to back fill with sand and then limestone? Is there a better method all together? I am not doing concrete

I’d do a clay base and recycled asphalt. Limestone is nasty for a parking area. Nasty when it’s wet and dusty hen it’s dry.

Comment

We’ve built hundreds of driveways and parking areas and M16’s right, remove 100% of the top soil, back fill with a good red clay and compaction is the key to a nice long lasting parking area or driveway. You don’t want a black clay base or it will be jacked pretty quick after it dries out a few times.
      Personally I’d go with just about anything but limestone, it’s a mess from the day you spread it until the day you decide to remove it. I’m a fan of pea gravel myself but recycled asphalt is a great choice as well. Remember the word compaction LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
        We’ve built hundreds of driveways and parking areas and M16’s right, remove 100% of the top soil, back fill with a good red clay and compaction is the key to a nice long lasting parking area or driveway. You don’t want a black clay base or it will be jacked pretty quick after it dries out a few times.
        Personally I’d go with just about anything but limestone, it’s a mess from the day you spread it until the day you decide to remove it. I’m a fan of pea gravel myself but recycled asphalt is a great choice as well. Remember the word compaction LOL
        That's what we did. Remove 4"-6" of top soil. Brought clay back in and packed it in. Then crushed concrete with pea gravel on top. It's held up fairly well.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

I put down 1 3/4” limestone and topped it with 3/4”, wet it and packed it. It’s holding up well with no mess. I used straight 1 3/4” on roads and is a big improvement.

Comment

Skip the weed barrier. They will grow anyway. Just spray the finished bed with agent orange or household equivalent.

Comment

I am not sure I will find Red clay here in South Texas-Corpus Christi area. Is there another base that is good?

Comment

1. Weed barrier is a waste of money. I've yet to dig one up that wasn't mostly rotted away.

2. Remove 8" of topsoil and proof-roll to find any soft spots that need to be removed and replace.

3. I'd disagree with those saying replace black clay with red clay....clay in general prohibits water permeation, so when you get a rain the water will sit ON TOP of the clay which is where your new driveway material will be. Instead, place a nice 6" layer of select fill (mix of sand and clay). This will prevent much expansion and shrinkage associated with moisture content in clay only. It will also allow water to drain through it better than solid clay but will hold up better than sand only. Select fill is what is used when you build a parking lot or building pad on most any commercial application.

4. If you're going to use limestone, make sure it is super clean and has a low ratio of fines. Fines is what causes the surface mess others have mentioned. I'd put a 3" layer of 2" limestone, compacted, and a 3" layer of 3/4-1" limestone compacted. However, there are much better materials, such as recycled asphalt. It that scenario, I'd put a 4" layer of 2" limestone and a 2" layer of recycled asphalt.

Comment

Tagging.

Need to do same but won't use limestone again

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m doing this at my house, but I’m only removing 6” of grass & black gumbo. I’m putting weed barrier down, but not for weeds. I’ll put about 4” of concrete washout on top of the cloth, then compact it. The cloth helps bind it all together. Then I’ll top dress it with 2-3” of washed limestone. We do this on construction entrances on my job sites, and it holds up really well, though we go thicker for heavy truck/equipment traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                      I’m doing this at my house, but I’m only removing 6” of grass & black gumbo. I’m putting weed barrier down, but not for weeds. I’ll put about 4” of concrete washout on top of the cloth, then compact it. The cloth helps bind it all together. Then I’ll top dress it with 2-3” of washed limestone. We do this on construction entrances on my job sites, and it holds up really well, though we go thicker for heavy truck/equipment traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Well.....what in the hell did you ask us for? Sounds like you have a good plan.

*****EDIT****** Sorry, I'm an idiot and mistook you for the OP.
                      Last edited by curtintex; 05-09-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        1. Weed barrier is a waste of money. I've yet to dig one up that wasn't mostly rotted away.

2. Remove 8" of topsoil and proof-roll to find any soft spots that need to be removed and replace.

3. I'd disagree with those saying replace black clay with red clay....clay in general prohibits water permeation, so when you get a rain the water will sit ON TOP of the clay which is where your new driveway material will be. Instead, place a nice 6" layer of select fill (mix of sand and clay). This will prevent much expansion and shrinkage associated with moisture content in clay only. It will also allow water to drain through it better than solid clay but will hold up better than sand only. Select fill is what is used when you build a parking lot or building pad on most any commercial application.

4. If you're going to use limestone, make sure it is super clean and has a low ratio of fines. Fines is what causes the surface mess others have mentioned. I'd put a 3" layer of 2" limestone, compacted, and a 3" layer of 3/4-1" limestone compacted. However, there are much better materials, such as recycled asphalt. It that scenario, I'd put a 4" layer of 2" limestone and a 2" layer of recycled asphalt.
                        This is what I would do

Comment

Y’all must not be in rock country ........ everything y’all are saying to use instead of limestone , is limestone. Are you calling some non spec base limestone ? If so, that makes sense.
                          Like Curt said , if a crusher is around get some select fill from them. It will be the stuff a lot of people use for house pads.

Comment

Working...
                          X