Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to trad bow length?

Looking at buying first trad bow
    I shot a recurve the other day that was 40# but it was a short model and when I shot it it felt like I was overdrawn if that makes sense....I couldn't get my anchor point set as it was high poundage at that point

What length should I look for... my current compound setup is 65-70# @28.5 draw length

A longer bow is more forgiving and will have less of the “stacking” you mentioned as well as less possibility of finger pinch at longer draw lengths. I would start with a 62” bow - certainly no shorter than 60”. IMO 35-40lbs is the best range to start while you work on repeatable form

Comment

Knowing your draw length would be handy.

Comment

I'm a 28.5 draw length
        Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
          I'm a 28.5 draw length
          Thx!
          28.5 with compound will put you around 27-27.5 with a Trad bow if your form is decent, You’ll gain some of that back over time as your form gets better.
          Jerp’s advice is spot on!

Comment

Sorry, didn't catch the 28.5' DL, but as Randy stated, the DL for compound and recurve are sometimes different.

Have you been shooting with a release? If so, I might suggest lighter than 40# to expedite the learning curve of the release.

At 28.5" I don't think many modern recurves are gonna stack that much. Most of your modern day compounds letoff quite a bit, so you're not holding a lot of weight. A recurve, except of the new Super Recurves, gain steaedy poundage up to stated weight and there ain't no relief so it's gonna feel like you stated. I've got a 52" Kodiak Magnum from the 60's and it doesn't even stack until right at 29", but there is considerable string pinch. I've weighed it. Fortunately(in this regard) I only have 26" of draw so the finger pinch isn't really bad.

You going instinctive, gap, or whatever minus sights? There is considerable learning curve to that also, so the lighter poundage would be beneficial there also.
            Last edited by hpdrifter; 04-20-2021, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I think you'd be fine with a 58" recurve or a 60" to 62" longbow at that draw length.

Comment

Working...
              X