Texas WMA map info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas WMA map info?

Does anyone know of any files that you can layer onto Google Earth for the WMAs scattered across the state?

Western states have tons of info/layers available but I have yet to find much on Texas WMAs.

I thought at one time the state had started mapping some stuff but I can't even find that anymore

OnX shows units in Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
      OnX shows units in Texas.

Hunting compartments or just the WMA borders?

Is OnX transferrable to Google Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        Hunting compartments or just the WMA borders?

Is OnX transferrable to Google Earth?
        I don't think it's transferable to Google Earth.

I just used the free version of OnX at Black Gap this week and at EM 3 weeks ago, I pay for the Colorado maps. On the free side, you can clearly see all the main unit roads and all the inner roads, fire roads, even large game trails within. So it's very easy to pair with a tpwd paper unit map [emoji846]

My buddy used the paid texas version at Laguna last year, it outlines all the units and marks them buy number and I assume by name in places that don't number their pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Does anyone know of any files that you can layer onto Google Earth for the WMAs scattered across the state?

Western states have tons of info/layers available but I have yet to find much on Texas WMAs.

I thought at one time the state had started mapping some stuff but I can't even find that anymore
          If you get a paper map you can scan and layer yourself. I do this with most everywhere I go so I can xfer to my GPS. Just scan, insert the file, set the opacity to where you can see the base map then drag and stretch around lining up roads, rivers, etc. Save as a google earth friendly file

Comment

I just downloaded the onX app and WOW! Great app, I can't wait to put is to the test in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
              If you get a paper map you can scan and layer yourself. I do this with most everywhere I go so I can xfer to my GPS. Just scan, insert the file, set the opacity to where you can see the base map then drag and stretch around lining up roads, rivers, etc. Save as a google earth friendly file
              About the only thing I have found is USGS topo layer but thanks for the idea, may be able to use it on other maps to overlay

If I find anything not mentioned on here I will definitely share

Anybody that has hunted any of the WMAs "by compartment" knows that it is not a given which unit you will be in and knowing a spot or two pre hunt would be a great head start on a 4 day hunt

Comment

If anyone is interested in learning more about KML files, check out Elkshape Podcast EP84=escouting

Comment

Any WMA in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                    Any WMA in particular?
                    Not particularly, we apply for several different ones all over the state

Comment

I pair Google Earth with onx on my two screen desktop. Onx has the boundaries and Google has the resolution and history I use the Google history to judge water levels, mostly for duck hunting. If I'm hunting a wma I'll also have the wma map up as it has access points and other pertinent information.

Comment

Don't trust OnX in Texas. Example Lake Amistad where I'm sitting in a camp area now is super illegal to hunt bit the app only shows the entire boundary and not the hunt areas.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yes I have a google earth file that shows WMA boundaries I will have to try and remember where I pulled it from though. You can also pull custom google earth kml files into OnX

Comment

Scroll down to "TPWD Spatial Data" there is one for WMAs. you can download the zip file and then upload the shapefile (.shp) into google earth. Also one for state parks which helps with those hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                              Scroll down to "TPWD Spatial Data" there is one for WMAs. you can download the zip file and then upload the shapefile (.shp) into google earth. Also one for state parks which helps with those hunts.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/gis/
                              Awesome, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X