• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my math is wrong
    ...but it's a 4 to 1 ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
      Yessir! I've always bought beef trimmings from the grocery store to make deer burger. 80/20 just doesn't seem to hold together to make hamburger patties. They usually fall apart while cooking. I switched to 75/25 this year when I processed for a friend. Haven't tried to make patties with it, but I'm betting it's going to hold together.

I learned a trick from the father in law. I crack an egg for every 2lbs of meat and mix it in. Then patty it up. They hold together a lot better that way, and still taste great. Just a tip that I thought was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grinding it out....

18 lbs of delicious deer burger wrapped and sealed tonight.

14 lbs of venison
        3.5 lbs of beef fat from HEB

Ground the fat first on coarse. Ground the meat next on coarse. Hand mixed it really good then ran it all through on the smaller plate.

Had to sample it. Dang good if I say so myself.

Last edited by Chew; 11-17-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Tag

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Chew;15340182]I've dabbled with home processing off and on over the last 15 years or so. I've made quite a bit of burger and most of it has been edible, but this is the first time where it came out perfect and I got the wife's enthusiastic stamp of approval.
            /QUOTE]

That's almost exactly how we do it and never a complaint. I try for about 20% but a little more fat is better. Call HEB a day or two before you need the trimmings and they will take care of you. I used to grind bacon ends and pieces for burgers. That's good too, but leaving it out leaves more options and bacon can always be added.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.howell411 View Post
              I learned a trick from the father in law. I crack an egg for every 2lbs of meat and mix it in. Then patty it up. They hold together a lot better that way, and still taste great. Just a tip that I thought was helpful.
              Ha. that works. Here's another I stumbled into. Mix in a tablespoon or two of Fritos (Or HEB ) bean dip and they will hold together amazing and taste great!

Comment

Y'all Are getting fancy now!

Comment

Just gorgeous Chew. The meat…

Comment

Back when briskets could be found on sale, I would grind them with venison at a 30-50% ratio. Depends on fat content of the brisket. I will be looking at just adding fat this year.

Comment

Looks good, Bobby! I’ve been using our jalapeño cheese pan sausage for burgers the last few years but I may have to go your route this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                        I bought a 15 pound brisket and ground the whole thing with 40 pounds of axis.... YUMMY!

We are hooked on 50/50 venison and brisket grind. Like it better than our sausage (which is **** good ) over the versatility. We run through 100-150 lbs a year between my folks (2) and our family.

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          It was around a $1.00 a pound. Well worth it.
                          You just converted me!!

Comment

I use the same recipe. I throw 4 cubes of venison to the grinder followed by 1 of the back fat. No mixing required

Comment

Did give this a try and it was great! Although the beef fat cost me 2.70 a pound . A year ago ground beef was about that much.

Comment

When the emu market crashed me and a few buddies were asked to dispose of around thirty birds. We mixed deer, hog, emu and pork fat. It was pretty good and a great conversation over the grill.

Comment

Working...
                                X