Protein Feeder fillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeder fillers

We just bought a overhead bulk bin to hold protein at the ranch (really good deal from a feed store going out of business. Now the question is how do we get the bulk protein into the feeders? We looked at the feed wagons but it would be real difficult to get them close to the protein feeders and budget is almost eaten up from the bin purchase. Looking to the green screen for some imaginative ideas. Wanna hear what some of you fellas do on ya'lls place We have a 75 HP tractor with a front end loader and a welder at the ranch. Lets hear any ideas and post pics if you have 'em

Build a hopper that you can pick up with the tractor and place over the feeder and drop protein in through a 8-10" line with a slide valve in the line...???

Comment

get or build one of those leaf blower feeder fillers

Comment

Originally posted by 4barchery View Post
        We just bought a overhead bulk bin to hold protein at the ranch (really good deal from a feed store going out of business. Now the question is how do we get the bulk protein into the feeders? We looked at the feed wagons but it would be real difficult to get them close to the protein feeders and budget is almost eaten up from the bin purchase. Looking to the green screen for some imaginative ideas. Wanna hear what some of you fellas do on ya'lls place We have a 75 HP tractor with a front end loader and a welder at the ranch. Lets hear any ideas and post pics if you have 'em
        Buy a feed truck with a auger from a out of business feed store, the older ones usually bring about $5000 to $7500 for a single axle 80's model with hydra auger, I used to buy and sell them, if you are interested in something like that pm me. Its a better idea to buy the truck instead of the bin due to the protein getting stale. Look in Fastline Magazine for ideas from the seed and fertilizer handling peeps who sell atachement to lift up from behind the tractor and dump seed or dry fertilzer. Good luck

Comment

We have a 3/4 ton ford pick up with pto coming out the side off th tranny,built a drive shaft for it and bought an auger wagon,wagon hold 4 tons so we can do 4 feeders 1 pass thriugh the pasture
          All the olde 3/4 ton fords have the pto,not sure about the new ones

Comment

Originally posted by happy bowhunter View Post
            We have a 3/4 ton ford pick up with pto coming out the side off th tranny,built a drive shaft for it and bought an auger wagon,wagon hold 4 tons so we can do 4 feeders 1 pass thriugh the pasture
            All the olde 3/4 ton fords have the pto,not sure about the new ones
            Wow, great idea, do you have any pictures of your set up, I have never seen a pto running off the rear of a truck since those old powerwagons??

Comment

get a high power blower rig a funnel to the front and a hose long enough to reach your feeders. fill the bucket on the tractor with protein scoop out buckets pour into funnel fill feeders. it will be the cheapest way to do it! or just build a hopper and do the same thing! good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                Build a hopper that you can pick up with the tractor and place over the feeder and drop protein in through a 8-10" line with a slide valve in the line...???
                I like this idea with the front loader available!

Comment

Originally posted by ajavelina View Post
                  get a high power blower rig a funnel to the front and a hose long enough to reach your feeders. fill the bucket on the tractor with protein scoop out buckets pour into funnel fill feeders. it will be the cheapest way to do it! or just build a hopper and do the same thing! good luck
                  Like this!!!!! VVVVV

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htadq-jKERU"]YouTube- Deer Feeder Filler - Muddy Boots[/ame]

Comment

If you haven't looked at Outback's products yet, they have two models of feeder trailers that are considerably less expensive than any of the others that I know of. Pardner trailers and The Amigo are what I would look at. www.outbackfeeders.com

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
                      Wow, great idea, do you have any pictures of your set up, I have never seen a pto running off the rear of a truck since those old powerwagons??
                      Here are some pics from yesterday
                      Attached Files

Comment

We usually load three tons at a time

Comment

Here is what works for us. I built a box out of wood that I can lift with the pallet forks on my tractor that holds approximately 1,800#s of protein which is enough to fill one of our 2,000# Outback feeders (rated for corn I believe). The box is strapped to the pallet fork structure with a 4" truck tie down strap to keep it in place when angled over the feeder. The front of the box has a 6" wide by 10" tall opening with a slide gate for unloading the feed from the box into the feeder.

We have two used 8 ton poultry bins for bulk feed storage, we place the box under the bin, open the slide gate and gravity fills the box, then we transport the box to the feeder using the tractor. Raise the box, place box over feeder opening and open the slide gate. Gravity empties the box. We have a Kubota 9540 tractor with water in the tires and usually have either a bushhog mower or boxblade on the rear when filling feeders.

As long as the tractor is operational you can fill your feeders, no augers (bad on protein) no additional equipment or engines to keep maintained. Box cost less than a $100 to build.

Just another idea for you, good luck.

Comment

We used a simple PTO driven grain bin with an auger system. Worked great with bulk feed.

Comment

This is the system that my wife's grandfather uses on his ranch. He fills his protein feeders the same way.

[ATTACH]174265[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]174266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]174267[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X