Getting deer to come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting deer to come back?

I hunt a decently sized piece of property (600ac) in Palo Pinto not far from Palo Pinto Lake. It has seemed like the deer numbers are on a steady decline the past 6-10 years. We have 4 additional lease hunters that have killed at most 2 deer between all hunters per year the past 5 or so years. Many sits result in not seeing anything.

We run 5 corn feeders year round. A couple years we’ve had our cattle lesser plant 50 acres of wheat but didn’t seem to have a major impact on deer numbers. Cattle guy runs 16 mommas and the property is split between 400 and 200 acres so the cows are on one piece or the other.

Anyone been through something similar. What needs to happen to get deer back?

What are the neighboring properties doing? I hunted a property a few years back where the neighbor was running day hunts and deer numbers seemed to dissipate very rapidly. We threw in the towel and that was our last year on that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That sounds strange for that area. I used to hunt Runnels Co. and we had to kill 20 does a year just to stay even. That was on 1406 acres. It’s been 10/12 years since I’ve been there so I can’t comment on the present. Ask your local biologist.

Comment

Preditors or big cats?

Comment

I hunt runnels and the deer population seems to be ok. I do know on average I hear anywhere from 7-15 gun shots just about every sit. Weekday or weekend doesn’t matter. Unbelievable the amount of bangs that I hear, I’m guessing hogs make up some but with the density of hunters I can see a dent being put in it if they are all connecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan.3507. View Post
            What are the neighboring properties doing? I hunted a property a few years back where the neighbor was running day hunts and deer numbers seemed to dissipate very rapidly. We threw in the towel and that was our last year on that place.

Most of the property owners around haven’t changed, most have some hunting but no big day lease type operations. We do have quite a few 3-5 acre places around some with feeders.

Not sure on predators, I’ve tried to do the varmint calling thing and haven’t had much luck. Don’t see coyotes running around all day or anything.

One of my theories is all the lake houses are covered in deer so they realized that’s a safer location to be at.

Comment

I know a place was near you that was having the same Issue. 5000acres on the north end of Palo pinto lake. We put in an extensive predator control program and the deer numbers have improved. That’s probably not going to help your situation with a property your size. I would suggest putting big hog panel pens around your feeders, otherwise the hogs will keep the deer chased off. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                I know a place was near you that was having the same Issue. 5000acres on the north end of Palo pinto lake. We put in an extensive predator control program and the deer numbers have improved. That’s probably not going to help your situation with a property your size. I would suggest putting big hog panel pens around your feeders, otherwise the hogs will keep the deer chased off. Good luck.
                Hogs have been worse this year. We have a feed pen on one feeder but then the corn just stacks up.

What was the main predator you were controlling? Didn’t realize there was a ranch quite that big in the area. I thought the high fence on the west side of the lake was the biggest in the area.

Comment

I grew up hunting that area. My dad hunted it before and when the lake was built. Our place was just up the road from all of the lake cabins you mentioned.
                  Your place doesn’t happen to have an old tin shack/ cabin that y’all stay in does it?

Comment

What’s eating the corn?
                    I’d put something dead out and sit on it to see if there are big yote numbers

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                      I grew up hunting that area. My dad hunted it before and when the lake was built. Our place was just up the road from all of the lake cabins you mentioned.
                      Your place doesn’t happen to have an old tin shack/ cabin that y’all stay in does it?

No we are just off 4 in lone camp.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        What’s eating the corn?
                        I’d put something dead out and sit on it to see if there are big yote numbers
                        Mostly pigs with an occasional deer or Turkey but not consistent enough to see hunting.

Comment

Get rid of the pigs. Or try. We have a place that’s small, when pigs migrate in, the deer are few and far between. Pigs leave for one reason or another, deer numbers are up. At least that helps in out area

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            No we are just off 4 in lone camp.

I know that area well from years ago.

Comment

I hunt down the road just west from you. Its the **** pigs. we didnt see any deer this year until we started killing the hell out of them. bigger the feeder pens the better also.

Comment

Working...
                              X