Tractor Horse power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Horse power

I'm going to be in the market for a new tractor package in the next couple of months and I wanted HP advice. I've seen multiple threads on tractors and getting more HP than you think you need. So the list below is what I will be needing to accomplish. I want to make sure I get what I need but at the same time I don't want to just waste money on a piece of equipment that is too much for my needs.

534 acre property
    I'd say a good 50% is timbered
    I will be shredding
    Needing to push and move small yaupon groves
    light dirk work, like repairing hog damage
    light food plot work

What would be the most realistic HP need for this. Time spend shedding and working is not really a factor.

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
    I'm going to be in the market for a new tractor package in the next couple of months and I wanted HP advice. I've seen multiple threads on tractors and getting more HP than you think you need. So the list below is what I will be needing to accomplish. I want to make sure I get what I need but at the same time I don't want to just waste money on a piece of equipment that is too much for my needs.

534 acre property
    I'd say a good 50% is timbered
    I will be shredding
    Needing to push and move small yaupon groves
    light dirk work, like repairing hog damage
    light food plot work

What would be the most realistic HP need for this. Time spend shedding and working is not really a factor.
    anywhere north of 40hp.....I have a 40 hp and it does all of that just fine as long as 4wd......I definitely wouldn't want less than 40hp.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
      anywhere north of 40hp.....I have a 40 hp and it does all of that just fine as long as 4wd......I definitely wouldn't want less than 40hp.
      I was thinking 4x4x 45-55hp.

I got a quote for a 75hp package and decided real quick that wasn't going to work.

Comment

M7060 kubota. 70 engine hp. Add a 3rd function to run a grapple bucket. Has plenty of lift with the loader. Run a med duty 12-15 ft cutter

Comment

With that much shredding you need 75 minimum so it will pull a 15’ batwing.

Given total average I would lean toward 90

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

The batwing shedder was part of the quite I got last week. I guess I'm just not ready to spend $16k on a shredder yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
              The batwing shedder was part of the quite I got last week. I guess I'm just not ready to spend $16k on a shredder yet.
              Spend more on the tractor. You will be glad you did in the long run.

Plenty of batwings on FB market and craigslist to be bought for reasonable prices.

Comment

As big as you can afford. 50 horse or less & you are going to wish you had more for some of that work. I would say 70 hp at least and think that is on the edge of not enough..

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  As big as you can afford. 50 horse or less & you are going to wish you had more for some of that work. I would say 70 hp at least and think that is on the edge of not enough..
                  Completely agree. I find myself using my 100hp tractor way more often than the smaller ones.

4WD and a brush grapple is a must.

Comment

Two years ago, I went through the same thing you are contemplating. I bought bit bigger than I’d thought I’d need and am now realizing I bought way too small. I’ve got a 45hp 4wd and am constantly wishing I would have gone about 20hp bigger. My place is about half the size of yours for what’s it’s worth. I use the hell out of my grapple when clearing the timber and do quite a bit of food plot prep and mowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

75+ for what you are talking about, but if i could afford it, i'd go 85-100. The new tractors are going to have regen and/or def. The older ones without it(2012-2013 and older) will cost what a new one will or close. I sell used everyday so if i can help, let me know.
                      903-368-4110

Comment

50% of 534 acres to shred? OH, heck you need a bigger tractor than mentioned here. I have a 95 horse, 15' Rhino and it takes me a full day to shred 80 acres. That much land, I'd say to go the 100 hp and get the 20' batwing or plan to spend a week shredding.

But, since you've already said you can't afford that, get the biggest one you can afford. I would say look at used tractors, but any good used tractor will cost more than the new ones. Look for used shredders. Be careful to inspect them closely for leaks and tears in the metal.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

This and a cab. I went with a 100 hp JD and a batwing. When it was down this summer for repairs, it was all I could do to keep up with the pasture roads with the 6’ and a 55 hp open cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            50% of 534 acres to shred? OH, heck you need a bigger tractor than mentioned here. I have a 95 horse, 15' Rhino and it takes me a full day to shred 80 acres. That much land, I'd say to go the 100 hp and get the 20' batwing or plan to spend a week shredding.

But, since you've already said you can't afford that, get the biggest one you can afford. I would say look at used tractors, but any good used tractor will cost more than the new ones. Look for used shredders. Be careful to inspect them closely for leaks and tears in the metal.
                            To be honest I don't know how much of that I will be shredding regularly. It would all be shredded to begin with to clear it out. After that I would say a good sprayer to maintain vs regular shredding time. This is a cattle ranch that is overgrown and needs to be maintained. Once the goat weeds are knocked down and I can spray, the shredding may not be as big of a deal.

Comment

You need a 85-95hp but you can get by with as small as a 65. A 65 will take about 3x as long to complete the same shredding task as a 90hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X