Short Suppressed Rifle Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Suppressed Rifle Ideas

I am looking for ideas on a short suppressed rifle build.
    My criteria is this; 16" barrel, short, light weight, adjustable stock so that it could be used by a kid or adult, Medium caliber that can be used for deer hunting, threaded for a suppressor.
    My original plan was to build a TC encore similar to below in 7-08. The break open action saves a few inches on action length vs a bolt action and has the adjustable stock I'm looking for. TC has discontinued the encore/contender line and it looks like finding a decent priced frame only is difficult so now I'm on to plan B.
    Without getting into 2k+ rifles does any one have any ideas?
    Attached Files

Ruger American Predator with an aftermarket stock would be an option to consider.

Comment

CZ 527 carbine in 6.5 grendel or 7.62x39 maybe? I think you can get an adjustable after market stock for them. They are also making the new 600 series trail in 7.62x39.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	24669699

If a contender/encore is what you are after there are 1000's of them out there. I picked up my contender last december for $400.00 on the cabelas used rack. It has a MGM 16" barrel chambered in 300 black out. Absolutely love the little rifle. I am considering finding a stock set similar to what you posted above.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          Ruger American Predator with an aftermarket stock would be an option to consider.
          I second this, my Ruger American Predator shoots lights out too.

Comment

Q makes the fix in 6.5 Creed and .308.

Seekins makes the havak hit.

But those may be out if your price range

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              CZ 527 carbine in 6.5 grendel or 7.62x39 maybe? I think you can get an adjustable after market stock for them. They are also making the new 600 series trail in 7.62x39.

You mention the 600 Trail. I got a little giddy when i saw they were releasing it, was sure wishing they would have chambered it in the grendel.

I have had a 527 .223 for years and its by far my favorite rifle.

Comment

Look into the CVA line of break open single shots. I have one and it is a tack driver. Multiple calibers to choose from

Comment

I feel your pain. I've been trying to put together the same encore build for a year now. Really want a heavy 7-08 or 308 barrel with no flutes so I could have it threaded myself but that's pretty hard to come by. Can't find one threaded & under 20" for less than $500 either.

Comment

Your criteria is pretty broad. Are you still wanting a single-shot or are you open to bolt guns and ARs? I've never understood the obsession with the contender/encores, so I'd go a different direction.

If you want a bolt gun, your best bet may be to buy a rifle/barreled action and add an adjustable chassis. Bergara B14 Ridge SP would be a pretty good option, although I think they have 18" barrels instead of 16". They are Remington 700 footprint, so stock/chassis options are endless. Aftermarket triggers are everywhere as well.

Several have suggested the Ruger Americans. These rifles shoot amazingly well for a $400 rifle, but in the end, they are still a $400 rifle. Apart from shooting good groups, they fall short in pretty much every other category IMO. Trigger, Action, and the factory stock all suck. If that doesn't bother you, then they might be a option. I know there are a few chassis options out there that use AR stocks/buffer tube setups.

Your other option is to go with an AR. Options are endless here, and you can build it out exactly like you want. 6.5 Grendel would be an excellent option for what you're looking for. If you really want to go short and compact, SBR it and go shorter than 16". I've got a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel SBR that is awesome for when you want a compact setup with a suppressor.

Comment

Get a Ruger American in 6.5CM, have Morgan at Class 3 Machine cut/thread to 16” and add your suppressor. I have 2 set up this way (me and my son), absolutely the lightest, easiest to use and minimal recoil. I’ve started loading the 100gr Barnes and it’s almost like shooting a .223.

Comment

Pork sword in 300BO. Sold as a pistol, with folding/ collapsible brace. 10" barrel + can makes it about what a 16" barreled gun is naturally. Or SBR one of the bolt guns

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post

If you want a bolt gun, your best bet may be to buy a rifle/barreled action and add an adjustable chassis. Bergara B14 Ridge SP would be a pretty good option, although I think they have 18" barrels instead of 16". They are Remington 700 footprint, so stock/chassis options are endless. Aftermarket triggers are everywhere as well.
                          This is what I have, chambered in .308. No need for anything aftermarket, the setup is perfect the way it was built from the factory.

He was also spot on with the comments on the Ruger AM. By the time you invest to get it to run like the Bergara, you will have spent more than just buying the Ridge SP.
                          Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-23-2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.. I liked the TC option as you save another 3" or so on overall length by not having an action. I am not stuck on a single shot so the next option would be a bolt action. I already have a few AR's down to 10" so not really looking to go that direction.

Comment

One of the biggest pushes for this rifle is to make it kid friendly which makes the adjustable length stock one of the most important features.

Comment

Working...
                              X