Moon and the rut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon and the rut...

May be showing my complete ignorance of deer hunting but is there really anything to this and if so please explain.

I have several buddies saying moon will "have the bucks on lock down" or will "will kick rut into high gear" - I don't know if I believe any of it, so deferring to the experts.

My thoughts are like the mailman, sleet, blah blah and blah, hunt, because hard to kill them from the house, well most times anyway.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go hunting when you can lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's 4 months of deer season with bow and general and roughly a full moon a month.

Though, I noticed a deer I've only had around in the mornings show up this evening on camera.. not chasing though.

Comment

The moon is the biggest scam in hunting right in front of ozonix - it literally does nothing

Comment

Maybe the moon not have any effect on hunting, but explain why all the does are laying on /beside the road? That is because the bucks are running them during the night when there is light (bright moon). Then the bucks rest during the day...

Comment

Need to ask mother nature. In Mills county the peak rut is within a few days of Thanksgiving for the last 50 years. Also have a second rut around Christmas for the yearlings that have become of age.

Comment

Moon has nothing to do with rut. Happens same time every year…within a few days…of your particular area.

Comment

Don't know if it affects the rut, but I do see a lot of fresh deer tracks in the logging roads during the full moon. I also see a lot of deer in the middle of the day then.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                    Don't know if it affects the rut, but I do see a lot of fresh deer tracks in the logging roads during the full moon. I also see a lot of deer in the middle of the day then.
                    I hunt all day around the full moon. On new moons I take a lunch break. That is of course I am on public land. I hunt thru lunch then and let people get the deer up and moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      I hunt all day around the full moon. On new moons I take a lunch break. That is of course I am on public land. I hunt thru lunch then and let people get the deer up and moving.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                        Just go hunting when you can lol

X2, and if that’s not another Wise Old Indian Saying, well, it should be.

Comment

bucks don't care what the moon is when a doe is in heat. Back in the old days in south Texas we use to rattle at night with a full moon with shotgun with buckshot. Rattled up lots of bucks at night during full moon but never shot one.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                            X2, and if that’s not another Wise Old Indian Saying, well, it should be.

I agree. I’m not enough of a woodsman to say whether or not it really has an effect, nor do I care. I have limited time to hunt so if the moon decides to crash into the earth and I can get in the woods that day I guess I’ll be driving around it to get in my stand lol.

Comment

The science I have read says that the rut is based on the length of daylight as perceived by light entering the deer's eye.

Comment

Working...
                              X