Once in Lifetime Elk Hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once in Lifetime Elk Hunt?

If you could go on your once in lifetime elk hunt, where would you go?

Wife wants to send me on a hunt for my 40th. I am starting points in montana and wyoming so be a bit before I get enough to draw a DIY there. So best OTC guided or outfitted hunt? With possibility to shoot an elk/bear or deer? My budget is around 4500-5000. I do not need a trophy and a small bull will be just fine. Archery is what i am looking for and in the rut with screaming bulls.
    Any suggestions or places?

Chama, NM or Muscelero Indian reservation!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Edit

Sorry I didn't see your budget.
      Last edited by 7sdad; 09-29-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

White Mountain Apache Reservation, Northern AZ

ac

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

5k? I’m gonna check this out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4Jesus View Post
            If you could go on your once in lifetime elk hunt, where would you go?

Wife wants to send me on a hunt for my 40th. I am starting points in montana and wyoming so be a bit before I get enough to draw a DIY there. So best OTC guided or outfitted hunt? With possibility to shoot an elk/bear or deer? My budget is around 4500-5000. I do not need a trophy and a small bull will be just fine. Archery is what i am looking for and in the rut with screaming bulls.
            Any suggestions or places?
            That tight of a budget and no points is tough. Good thing not expecting a giant. I say a good, reputable Colorado outfit that is willing to work to help you get your bull. I don't know of any to recommend to you.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              That tight of a budget and no points is tough. Good thing not expecting a giant. I say a good, reputable Colorado outfit that is willing to work to help you get your bull. I don't know of any to recommend to you.
              A Colorado outfitter in an OTC unit is probably gonna be your only bet. Remember the tag alone will cost you 800$ or more. You might look at outfitters in Idaho as well. Someone might offer a management bull hunt.

Comment

Probably get a management bull most places for 5k

Comment

We have used RB Outfitters out of Chama NM several times with success each time. You may not kill a monster but you will have a great chance at a shot opportunity.

Comment

What these guys said, but I'd try to get lucky in the draw in New Mexico first.

Comment

Not to be a downer buy you may need to up your budget a smidge. Not a ton, but I think you may be looking at closer to $6,500 or so. I wouldn't go with the cheapest guide. Should be a few guys that can chime in to help. NM is expensive for landowner (guaranteed) tags. WY will take 3 to 4 points for a general tag. Not sure about MT. CO has OTC or can get into better units with a point or 2 with less pressure.

Re-reading your post CO will be your best bet if you want to go in a year or two. Tags are close to $700 plus what a guide will charge you. Will be a blast in the mountains any way you do it. Most of the better outfitters are booked out a ways. They are all busy right now and may not be real responsive during season. I'd get to cracking and try to book asap after deciding which route to go.

Comment

You can kill a freak horn / management bull in Mescalero for $4k….upgrade to 5*5 or 6*5 for thousand or two more. Their trophies are much more expensive.

Bull of a lifetime, San Carlos or White Mountain…but those will be $25k to start.

Comment

Comment

Bear Mountain Outfitters
                            Kremmling, Colorado
                            OTC license

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

I'd agree till I saw the budget.

Don't forget white mountain and mescalero have a waiting list. My dad had a former apprentice take him to mescalero a few years ago. The once apprentice who sold his large plumbing company hunts both.

Every year now

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X