Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Do Tree Transplants or Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Do Tree Transplants or Experience?

I bought a place in Waller and looking to have around 8 pecan trees moved 100 yards. Any THHrs do this?

I’ve used Allied tree systems over in your area 9369311112 They’ve moved several big trees for me in Beaumont

Comment

Moved one at work. Tree truckers. Gotta make sure it get watered correctly.

Comment

I used to have a tree spade and moved quite a few oaks. The general rule of thumb for digging trees is that you need 10 inch of root ball for every 1 inch of trunk diameter. So a 4 inch tree diameter (caliper) tree will need at least a 40 inch spade.

Curious , how large are these trees?

Comment

John with Katy Trees can move them for you.

Comment

Pecan trees are a little more finicky about transplanting. They have a Taproot, so a lot of traditional tree spades can't dig them. What is the diameter of the tree ~8"-10" above the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              Pecan trees are a little more finicky about transplanting. They have a Taproot, so a lot of traditional tree spades can't dig them. What is the diameter of the tree ~8"-10" above the ground
              I have heard the tap root is twice as deep as their above ground height...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                I have heard the tap root is twice as deep as their above ground height...
                When transplanting a pecan, you don't have to get the entire tap root, but if the pecan tree has a diameter larger than 6", It's going to be $$$. My company transplanted 10 pecan trees between 9-13" diameter for a customer 4 years ago and I had prepared the customer that 50% of them won't make it. So far, we have a 80% survival rate. The larger the tree, the more work goes into prepping it and following maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  I agree about the pecans being more finicky. I had a lower survival rate on pecans than on oaks and I ran into a few pecans where I just couldn't get the tap root cut. And sometimes I got it cut only after really disturbing the rest of the roots.

Comment

I will measure the diameter this afternoon. Thank you for all the responses gents.

Comment

Trees are around 5-6" in diameter

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                        I used to have a tree spade and moved quite a few oaks. The general rule of thumb for digging trees is that you need 10 inch of root ball for every 1 inch of trunk diameter. So a 4 inch tree diameter (caliper) tree will need at least a 40 inch spade.

Curious , how large are these trees?

I had a 44”Spade, Moved a Lot of trees. Had a Good survival rate.
                        This ^ ^ is pretty accurate.
                        Can fudge it a little.
                        Water is THE KEY. I definitely would Not move a tree that Big this time of year, It will Die!!!
                        Dec. thru Feb. is prime time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got a large tap root in my pants. It goes deep.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                            I’ve got a large tap root in my pants. It goes deep.
                            but only with your thumb up your but and yelling snake

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              but only with your thumb up your but and yelling snake

Comment

Working...
                              X