Advice On a Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice On a Tent

I need advice on a decent tent that is cheap. I will use this tent once on a Florida hunt this fall and it will not be used again. There will be two of use staying in it with cots. I know that cheap and quality do not go together. I have looked at the Coleman 6 person easy set tent on different sites and they look decent. Give me some ideas.
    Thanks

Sounds like you already got the right idea. Count the square feet in a tent. Some cheap tents will last for years. I've still got my first I bought back in early 1980s. Think I paid just under $20 for it on clearance from Western Auto. It has held up through some real hard winds, floods, and storms. It's a 7x7 cabin style with 49 cubic feet of floor space. Can get two cots in it. But gear space is limited with two cots, with gear under the cots when sleeping. Since you'll be in Florida, look for a vented roof with a rain fly in case it gets warm out. Windows on all sides for cross ventilation that close up, with screening to help keep the skeeters out. If it gets really cold, you can always throw a cheap poly tarp over it and stake it down. That will not only add warmth, but help keep you dry during a rain shower. Tents with a "poly tub floor" will add a moisture barrier. Especially during a rain. Just make sure there are no rocks, sticks, glass that can cut the floor.

I had another 10x20 3-room Coleman Cabin tent with a poly floor for almost 20 years. It was a pain to put up and take down. But was great for 3 or more days at a time. I finally sold it and bought a quick set with half the floor space 3 years ago, that I have yet to use.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-19-2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

If you are not having to pack it in look at the EZ canopy you can get the wall enclosure for them.

Comment

Buy a really good tent with lots of space and I'll buy it from you when you come back.

Comment

I have been using a Coleman 6 man for several years in Colorado and NM. This year it was below zero a few nights. If you want an inexpensive tent go ahead and get that Coleman. It will least several years. They can be found on Facebook marketplace and Craig’s list very cheap

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will start shopping for a good price on a coleman tent.

Comment

Are you packing in or is it hauled in the bed of truck?
              Ive used this one the last several yrs and it fits 2 cots with all our hunting gear. Great for 2 ppl and literally goes up in like 2 minutes...
              It comes with a good rain fly and plenty of good anchors.
              I got mine a couple yrs ago on sale for 225$.
              I've done the small smurf tents etc and this is the only way to go for me now.
              Plus when you kill or want to move camps it folds up and your packed up in minutes

Comment

If it's a one use deal you can probably rent a nice canvas outfitter setup and sleep comfortably for not a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  Are you packing in or is it hauled in the bed of truck?
                  Ive used this one the last several yrs and it fits 2 cots with all our hunting gear. Great for 2 ppl and literally goes up in like 2 minutes...
                  It comes with a good rain fly and plenty of good anchors.
                  I got mine a couple yrs ago on sale for 225$.
                  I've done the small smurf tents etc and this is the only way to go for me now.
                  Plus when you kill or want to move camps it folds up and your packed up in minutes
                  https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...iABEgL3wfD_BwE
                  We will boat in to the island and camp there for three days. We will have to bring everything with us food ,water,shelter,cooking items. I plan on bring a 20# propane bottle with a three way tree to use to cook with and lights.

Comment

I think the 4 things you need to worry about in FL -

1. keeping out rain
                    2. keeping out bugs
                    3. keeping free from condensation
                    4. ventilation to keep you cool
                    Condensation and ventilation are related
                    look for lots of mesh

don't underestimate bug protection - no-see-ems affect me almost like poison ivy

for cots I might go with this
                    Last edited by PlanoDano; 07-20-2020, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I don't have one but I was looking at one with the screen porch like this one.

Comment

I've used this tent for six or seven years camping at scout camps. I only use it on weekends with chances of windy or wet weather. I prefer to be on a cot under the stars if possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We use an Ozark Trail 10-man from Walmart. Cost $200, comes with an LED light strip installed, and has lasted us 4 years. Still going strong.

Comment

I have heard good things about the Ozark Trail tents from Walmart

Comment

If you are in the north Houston area go to a place called "Treasures for less", 303 Wells Fargo Dr. They are a wholesaler and always have tons of tents. I picked up a 10 man Ozarktrail for $30. Some might be use or open, but a lot are new.

Comment

Working...
                              X