Chokes in a short barreled house gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chokes in a short barreled house gun

Got a new house shotgun since my daughter got a place of her own and wants the one I taught her to shoot with. With that being said, I bought a semi auto tactical style shotgun with a 20 inch barrel. It came with chokes and I have never owned a shotgun that had chokes. I always keep #2 steel BB or 00 buck in it at the house. What choke do I need in the gun to get a tight pattern? The paperwork said to use one up from what would be used for lead if using steel. Since I never used chokes I have no idea on where to start.

This gun might have a box of shells put thru it once or twice a year at the most.

Thanks for any help.

Why do you want a tight pattern? I would think a more open pattern would be better cylinder or improved cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      Why do you want a tight pattern? I would think a more open pattern would be better cylinder or improved cylinder.
      This. Open choke

Comment

Pattern with more open chokes.

Hallway distance, it might surprise you how tight, or open it shoots.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

You don’t want an open pattern. With the typical 00 load you’re going have 9 pellets, you don’t need to scatter those and reduce effectiveness. Large pellets usually pattern best with more open chokes. Try ic and cyl at 20-25 yards and see what you get. Typical in house distances are close enough you pattern will probably be about the size of your fist or slightly larger. The goal is to keep all or most of the pellets in a group not wider than a man’s chest at engagement distances. Any pellet off target is wasted

Comment

At typical inside the house ranges even cylinder is going to be shooting a softball sized pattern at the very largest. That's why most shorter barreled home defense shotguns come with a fixed cylinder choke, no need for anything tighter. If you want a denser pattern, go with #4 buck.

Comment

Working...
              X